How much will a SS rear end hold with upgraded components

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Default How much will a SS rear end hold with upgraded components

Hey guys, i haven't been on in a while, but im back working on my 96 base model camaro, im doing a BBC conversion for Hard tire racing, im possibly looking for a Z28 or SS rear end, has any of yall ever broken a moser axle in these rears? Or what starts going wrong with them when putting down big torque numbers, my motor put down 720ft/lb at 5000rpm on a dyno dynamics dyno, its a Merlin III 565 with AFR heads. Thanks guys.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
4th Gear Member

You might want to look into getting a S60 or 9in for that. I've seen people break 12 bolts with less.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
You might want to look into getting a S60 or 9in for that. I've seen people break 12 bolts with less.
I looked into a S60, a little pricey lol 2k but i found a Moser built to order 12 bolt for 1650, i know its a little weaker but im going to be leaving on real street tires and in the 1.65 60 foot times, and im not really feeling the 9 inch just never been a very big fan of them.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you done the measurments on the Big block compared to your engine compartment? Truck stye big block is going to be sticking up through the windshield. If you have done it by all mean post pics. I have only seen it done once and I think they had to change just about everything everything was custom made.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rickybobbyv8
I looked into a S60, a little pricey lol 2k but i found a Moser built to order 12 bolt for 1650, i know its a little weaker but im going to be leaving on real street tires and in the 1.65 60 foot times, and im not really feeling the 9 inch just never been a very big fan of them.
A S60 for $2,000 or a 12 bolt for $1650. That's only $350 difference. I've watched built 12 bolts break on cars putting down ~450 lb-ft, granted that they were manuals on slicks that are less forgiving, but still. The S60 is indestructible, expensive yes, but you'll never have to worry about it failing on you when you launch.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Have you done the measurments on the Big block compared to your engine compartment? Truck stye big block is going to be sticking up through the windshield. If you have done it by all mean post pics. I have only seen it done once and I think they had to change just about everything everything was custom made.
Yeah i figured a tall deck would be kind of close but i have a short deck, only a 4.250 stroke.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
A S60 for $2,000 or a 12 bolt for $1650. That's only $350 difference. I've watched built 12 bolts break on cars putting down ~450 lb-ft, granted that they were manuals on slicks that are less forgiving, but still. The S60 is indestructible, expensive yes, but you'll never have to worry about it failing on you when you launch.
There are pros and cons to both but we are running a 12 bolt in the chevelle that the motor is in now and haven't broken it, so i dont think i would have too much trouble with a moser unit in a lighter car.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Rickybobbyv8
Yeah i figured a tall deck would be kind of close but i have a short deck, only a 4.250 stroke.
Please by all means post pics of the build. Last picks I saw of regular BB in a 4th gen showed about 1/2" between the primary supports and the valve covers. Headers where amazing works of art. Making them would have been a nightmare.

I am curious as to why you would go to all the expense of the BB when you could have just bolted in a LS3 and bought all the parts off the shelf?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Please by all means post pics of the build. Last picks I saw of regular BB in a 4th gen showed about 1/2" between the primary supports and the valve covers. Headers where amazing works of art. Making them would have been a nightmare.

I am curious as to why you would go to all the expense of the BB when you could have just bolted in a LS3 and bought all the parts off the shelf?
The LS motors have their place but i haven't seen too many of them making 775hp on pump gas NA, And i dont know if you have ever ridden in a high hp big block chevy car but it is a totally different experience, I've ridden in some pretty fast small block cars but they just don't pull like that big block does.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have ridden in a lot of BB I use to build race cars. I know the torque feeling you are talking about. I also know it does not come budget friendly, with street tires or to a uni-body car without support. There are stock bottom ends LS1's that can pull the wheels off the ground on launch. To get under 11 seconds in a NA big block with pump gas is gonig to be a non street friendly car. A LS3 427 can be used by your wife to run to the store and get stuck in traffic with the AC on and still hit 11 seconds.

Don't get me worng, Old school bigblock builds can be fun it just the 4th gen body is not a good staring point. The front of the engine comparment narrows very quickly and you can not even see the distributor no less work on it. The engine needs sit a low as possible so that normally means a custom made Kmember, custom made mount and a custom made oil pan just to get the distributor not to stick out of the dash. The cost of all the stuff your going to have to do just to make the BB fit is going to cost as much as the BB itself.

Any other generation Camaro would be fine. I have thought bout building a street BB version myself but I think I would start with a full frame car like a monte or a late 70's malibu. With those cars the cost of installing the BB is close to nothing. You can spend more money on the engine and drive line and almost everything can be fund at swap meets instead of custom made.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-18-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: How much will a SS rear end hold with upgraded components