grinding

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 PM
2nd Gear member
Default grinding

Almost every time i go into reverse, unless my car has beeen sitting for a while, it grinds going into reverse. Then today, while i was driving, it did not want to go into second, i had the clutch entirely depressed but when i went to shift it felt the same as if i had missed the gear and was trying to just shove it in. I think my problems may be worse than that also because sometimes when slowing down, when i go to put it in first at around 10-15 mph, it feels like it hits something that tries to shoot the shifter out of gear, sometimes it is fairly strong, is that the throw out bearing? and what is grinding when i hear that sound? how does a grind even happen?
thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: grinding

[&:] often most cars will do a little grinding going into reverse as its usually not synchroed like the forward gears. it sounds as though you may be experiencing a clutch master or slave cylinder problem. if these are worn out, get air in them or run out of fluid you will get the symptoms your describing. to check make sure the clutch reservoir is full of brake fluid and then pump the clutch a couple times when you go to use it. if this helps the symptoms then you were low on fluid and or have worn parts that will need to be replaced. often the clutch master cylinder seal will leak into the passenger compartment where it comes thru the firewall(by your feet) pull the rubber boot back to check and you can find a trail or stream of fluid if the seals have failed. also check for fluid leaking under rubber boot on slave cylinder on trans bell housing. this is a sign your slave cyl seals have failed
the grinding is from two gears inside the trans that havent come to the same speed yet and dont want to mesh
also i normally dont recommend using first gear for slow down or engine breaking. due to its low gear ratio it will put a bit more wear and tear on the cars parts that really isnt necessary.

try checking and filling the fluid, pump the clutch while using it and get back to us with the results kurt

it sounds like your trying to get it into gear and the clutch is not completely or at all disconnecting the engine from the trans