5th/reverse grind and clutch pedal getting sticky

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am thinking your mechanic is not the best or this is not his field. Reverse does not have synchronizers because you should never shift into reverse while the car is moving. All other gears have synchronizers. This means the sleeve that engages the gear will be push passed a synchronizer which will cause the gears to a line. On a brand new transmission you can shift without pushing the clutch. You just don’t want to because you will wear the sync.

As the clutch fails people rarely bring it in because it grinds in reverse, they tend to just start the car in reverse. They tend to bring it in what other gears start grinding. So the work order will normally say grinds in second and reverse, or grinds in Reverse and 3rd. A failing clutch is a test of how good the synchronizers are working. Since most used transmission has had second gear pounded it is normally for the second gear to grind but in pure theory 5 gear has to deal with the fastest output shaft RPM so if everything was good 5th gear will grind first. Even if the syncs are completely shot you can double clutch (with a working clutch) to shift into 5th. Old cars and trucks did not have synchronizers, They all had to be double clutched.

Once you have you clutch replaces most likely your 5th gear is fine unless you have been driving it grinder for a while. With a working clutch your worn sync might just feel like a click when you put it in gear.

Replacing synchronizers in a manual transmission is not a big deal, OEM grade syncs are not expensive and labor should not be too costly. I think the last t5 I did was 3-4 hours to do all the syncs and bushing and I was not rushing but that was in 1989.
Ok so after riding it on the freeway the 5th gear still grinds 😟 But it wasn't as bad before the mechanic bled the clutch