2 problems with my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The scanner should show what gear you are in and what speed the PCM thinks the car going. If the PCM knows it is in second gear and zero MPH I have no idea what could do that. But if the PCM thinks it is in first gear and the trans is in second then there is an issue with the trans or an issue with the quad driver in the PCM, the wiring going to the trans or the trans connector.

It should not take a trans tech very long to figure this out unless your wiring harness is a rat nest and he cannot use a regular procedure to check it. This should be as simple at Pin XXX of the PCM outputs 5 volts. It travels thru the wire to pin XX on the trans connector. Test the PCM for 5 volts check to make sure it goes thru the wire and it is getting to the trans. A good scanner can force shifts. So a tech with the right scanner could test all gears very quickly without the car running.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WCT13
Its supposed to go back to first when youre at a stop sign.
I've only every had one transmission shift back down to first when I came to a complete stop and that's my friends Cruze and that's only when its in manual mode.

It doesn't kickdown either.
This would leave me to believe that the cable is adjusted wrong.

When its in third gear in D you put it in OD and it doesn't change at all. When its in OD it sounds exactly the same as D, when you put it in D the car has no change to it at all either. Then old trans lost OD also, and done the same thing with 1st, thats why we replaced them.
Any chance you could get a video for us to show what it is/isn't doing? The only time I actually notice that my car shifted from D to OD is when I'm on the throttle and hear the rpm's drop. Usually around town, I never even notice (or I've gotten used to it) the shift and that's with a shift kit installed.

The chances of a two transmissions having the same problem leads me to believe that the transmission itself was never the problem. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the problem lies with a sensor, wire, or the PCM.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I've only every had one transmission shift back down to first when I came to a complete stop and that's my friends Cruze and that's only when its in manual mode.

Well, ours always shifted back to first at a stop. And with this new 3500 stall it better go back to first to help us accelerate.

This would leave me to believe that the cable is adjusted wrong.

It could be! Not gonna lie. We are going to look at it tomorrow when we get it back.

Any chance you could get a video for us to show what it is/isn't doing? The only time I actually notice that my car shifted from D to OD is when I'm on the throttle and hear the rpm's drop. Usually around town, I never even notice (or I've gotten used to it) the shift and that's with a shift kit installed.

The chances of a two transmissions having the same problem leads me to believe that the transmission itself was never the problem. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the problem lies with a sensor, wire, or the PCM.
I can always tell when it shifts to OD. The rpms drop by like 500 and the car gets quieter. when we manual shift it still doesn't shift to OD.

We got a email from RPM in our state and they said to check the volts the ignition wires are sending to the trans. They have heard of the ignition messing up the trans. So they were supposed to read 12v and we checked, their reading 11.85. If we poked the right wire that is, we were told the pink one. We looked at all of our sensors and they seemed to be ok.

So tomorrow we got a guy going to look at it, he seems to be a decent trans guy. He got one of our problems correct after looking at our truck so I guess he knows what hes doing.

Once we get it back, if he doesn't fix it, I'll try and get you a video.

If he does fix it ill post what it was incase someone else ever gets this problem.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Well, just got it fixed! it was the PCM itself! The drive in their was shot! Shifts like a charm now!