Steering will not center after tie rod adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Default Steering will not center after tie rod adjustment

I changed my outer tie rods last week and after changing them the car was fighting its self when driving. if you turned right it forcefully went to the right if you turned left it forcefully went left, and would fight its self back and forth. I noticed when parked if one tire was straight the other was toed out just abit.

The other day I adjusted the toe in by loosening the keeper nut's and drawing the outer tie rods in by turning the inner tie rods.
I got it so the car doesn't fight any more and just slightly pulls to the right.
Major issue now is if I make a hard turn the steering will not center back out, it will stay which ever direction I'm turning.

Any one have an idea what I did wrong, or need to adjust. I still need to replace control arm bushings and a few other things before it can go for an alignment, and its my daily driver.
Its not to major of an issue centering steering out my self, but I'm afraid some thing maybe binding and I cant afford to have to repair any more than whats all ready needed.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

toe in is off. take it to a front alignment shop and have it adjusted. or for the short term, take a tape measure and from the same spot on the same tread measure the distance from right to left front tire at the front of the tires and at the rear of the tires going up as high as you can on front and back of tire without the body getting in the way, best to go half way up but without the proper tool you cant. you want to get the measurements to match or have the front a tad closer together, like 1/16 inch. its also important to turn/adjust each side the same number of turns or the steering wheel will not be centered.

Last edited by craby; 12-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For rough toe-in adjustments, I use a threaded rod cut to proper length, with a threaded coupler (approx. 1" long) on one end. You can adjust the coupler in or out and use it as a "feeler gauge" between the front and rear part of the sidewalls. A little loose in back compared to the front will get you close to good.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was just the toe in adjustment.
I'll try to measure it and get it a little better until I can get every thing replaced for a proper alignment.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Blooddragon, when you goo change the control arm bushings, you may want to consider aftermarket arms. They are cheaper than replacing the bushings with the added benefit of better handling. The main reason to go this route is because more often than not, the new replacement bushings, will not fit into the holes in the arms correctly to do age and the stretch factor in the old arms. This will certainly lead to premature wear. It is common on these cars. The bushings wind up worn out in months, not years and you may realize that youll need to do them again. It's also a lot less work, to install new arms. Best of luck, whatever you decide.