lowering ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flowride
Finally, for the record, I didn't even know what this **** was till I joined this forum. Learning...just sayin'.
Which is why most of us join the forums. I didn't even know what an LT1 was 3 years ago until I got my Camaro. I knew the gen-I SBC and Mopar LA engines and that was it. 98 percent of what I know about vehicles came from learning hands on from my father helping restore our '66 Satellite and from my uncles. The other 2 percent is split between doing research/reading articles and asking questions here.
None of us know every thing and never will and no one educated on this forum will ever make fun of someone for asking a question because they didn't know.

15 year old parts? Try having 19 year old all original suspension pieces

Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Floride, sorry to have offended you. I meant you no harm. You def took what I said out of context. I don't think Im smarter than you. I just meant that not everyone here is an expert. Also, that in order to follow what people are saying, it would help to get an idea about what type of suspension is on these cars since its not a typical set up. Noone here wants to insult you. We know you are learning. But reading will help you learn for your own personal knowledge. This way, you'll understand the answers people give. Your correct, asking is a great way to learn. But this isn't a school where every answer is correct. Lots of times, its just opinions. You don't always know how knowledgeable the person your asking is. I enjoy discussing issues on this forum, however, some of what I read would make me cringe, if certain people on were under my hood. Again, sorry to have offended you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Which is why most of us join the forums. I didn't even know what an LT1 was 3 years ago until I got my Camaro. I knew the gen-I SBC and Mopar LA engines and that was it. 98 percent of what I know about vehicles came from learning hands on from my father helping restore our '66 Satellite and from my uncles. The other 2 percent is split between doing research/reading articles and asking questions here.
None of us know every thing and never will and no one educated on this forum will ever make fun of someone for asking a question because they didn't know.

Yup...good times. Good to hear that there are others out there learning this stuff little by little, too. If there was a way I could do all this stuff myself, I would. I need a better tool set, however, and a hell of a lot more knowledge. For the record, I didn't think Fbodyjunkie was making fun of me. Reading his posts, it just seemed he was put off by my questions.

Originally Posted by FBodyjunkie
Floride, sorry to have offended you. I meant you no harm. You def took what I said out of context. I don't think Im smarter than you. I just meant that not everyone here is an expert. Also, that in order to follow what people are saying, it would help to get an idea about what type of suspension is on these cars since its not a typical set up. Noone here wants to insult you. We know you are learning. But reading will help you learn for your own personal knowledge. This way, you'll understand the answers people give. Your correct, asking is a great way to learn. But this isn't a school where every answer is correct. Lots of times, its just opinions. You don't always know how knowledgeable the person your asking is. I enjoy discussing issues on this forum, however, some of what I read would make me cringe, if certain people on were under my hood. Again, sorry to have offended you. Good luck with whatever you decide.
No worries, man. That's why I said if I was mistaken in my interpretation, I apologize beforehand. Things written can often be misinterpreted. You can't hear tone of voice and fluctuation of words in type.

As for being smarter than me, on this stuff, you likely are. Changing the battery on this car was harder than it should have been. I don't think Chevy did a good job at engineering its placement, but what do I know? It did make me realize however, that I need a better set of tools. Maybe once we finally get to the garage (the likely LAST step in our house remodel), I will get some fancy ****...but I digress.

I look to more educated people on the forum for guidance, but I have seen some advice on here that has made me cringe and I don't even know that much. When that happens, I just say "thanks" and move on.

Again, no harm, no foul. Glad we got that **** outta the way.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Talk about a major thread hijack! Oh well, it looked like the OP was done using it anyway!
Flow, if you understand the principles of geometry, and what changes in the suspension when a car is raised or lowered, and why you need to change some of these parts, then we don't need to beat that dead horse.
As far as installing control arm relo brackets, I'd save that till you're all done and keep a "wait and see" outlook. The need depends on the amount of drop. Again, geometry comes into play here. What can happen is you could get "wheel hop" if you tend to have an itchy right foot when jumping off the line. If your tires are still planting fine, and you're getting no screech-screech-screech and jittery rearend, then I wouldn't worry about installing arm brackets.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Talk about a major thread hijack! Oh well, it looked like the OP was done using it anyway!
Flow, if you understand the principles of geometry, and what changes in the suspension when a car is raised or lowered, and why you need to change some of these parts, then we don't need to beat that dead horse.
As far as installing control arm relo brackets, I'd save that till you're all done and keep a "wait and see" outlook. The need depends on the amount of drop. Again, geometry comes into play here. What can happen is you could get "wheel hop" if you tend to have an itchy right foot when jumping off the line. If your tires are still planting fine, and you're getting no screech-screech-screech and jittery rearend, then I wouldn't worry about installing arm brackets.
Thread jack? LOL, we are still talking about lowering your car, right? Yup...only gonna drop it 1-1.2", so they aren't likely needed. I do have a heavy right foot at times, but it's usually not off the line anymore. The PoPo seems to be everyhwere-at least when I'm feeling aggressive with the lead pedal. Wheel hop, however, is just something I think we deal with here in CA, simply due to the sheer crappiness of the roads. I thought they were bad growing up in Youngstown, Ohio, but here? Wow. Live axle cars and CA roads do NOT mix.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"Wheel hop" is a result of axle wrap under hard acceleration. The "washboard effect" from poor roads is something totally different. Hitting bumpy roads and having the car bounce around is not "wheel hop".

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flowride
Thread jack? LOL, we are still talking about lowering your car, right?
We are, but this was originally Sreed1236's thread on lowering cars, so the topic stayed, the poster did not. Haha.

Try PA roads.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

We are, but this was originally Sreed1236's thread on lowering cars, so the topic stayed, the poster did not. Haha.

Try PA roads.
Been there, done that...both sides of the state. Originally from Youngstown, Ohio, and went to Pittsburgh all the time. I also lived in Philly for a couple of years. LA is just as bad, if not worse-and we don't even have snow!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

20 years old now.