lowering ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit 43
^ post a pic of how the end links look. Maybe someone can help you out with a visual
will do probably on monday night when i can get it up on a lift at my work

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Dumb question from the non-tech guy in the group? I've been told that, because of issues bottoming out, I would need to buy bump stops to assist with that problem. This is for when I buy another set of lowering springs.

I am likely to get these lowering springs for the rear, as I don't want a large drop. Maybe 1-1.5". I still have the lowering springs for the front.

BMR SP021R lowering Springs Rear 1" Drop 460 Spring Rate | eBay

I am also thinking of getting these bump stops.

Heavy Duty Universal Polyurethane Bump Stop 3" Tall | eBay

Next, I've read about folks doing massive drops on here and getting adjustable panhard bars and control arms. Thinking about these...

1982 2002 Camaro Firebird Adjustable Lower Control Arms Panhard Bar Red | eBay

Finally, thinking of replacing the back KYB's with these, but it's not the priority at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160749288664...84.m1438.l2649

Again, anyone who can educate me in proper setup or even just offer an opinion is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by flowride; 01-05-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
4th Gear Member

So far you're on the right track. The only thing I wouldn't change in that list is the taking away the KYB shocks. Other than that, I think the only thing you missed was getting control arm relocation brackets.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
So far you're on the right track. The only thing I wouldn't change in that list is the taking away the KYB shocks. Other than that, I think the only thing you missed was getting control arm relocation brackets.
Thanks, MK. I guess that's the benefit of this forum. I've been able to read what others have been doing and mimic them somewhat. Without being a mechanic myself, I believe it's the best thing I can do.

BTW...you don't think those bump stops are too big? 3" Polyurethane...a buddy of mine said I would want to go smaller. I thought, "If I'm bottoming out, why would I want to go SMALLER? Wouldn't I want those stops to be bigger to avoid the hitting?" Or, would I just be riding the bump stops?

BTW...those relocation brackets...found 'em.

http://www.foundersperformance.com/p...-Brackets.html

Last edited by flowride; 01-05-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Hmm..I did think about that a little when I originally looked at the link but waved it away because honestly I'm not sure. My car hasn't had bump stops since I've owned it. I think the best case (if no one else has a suggestion) is to find a set of original one's and see how big they are. If anything, see if you can drop down to a 2in one. Better something be there than nothing.

Yup. Those will work.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

There are no special end links for lowered vehicles. Lowering the vehicle does not change the length the link needs to be. It only changes ride height. And you CAN change one suspension component at a time without affecting anything else in a negative way. And if you lower the car an inch, you do not need an adjustable torque arm. The stock one is fine unless you are launching the car hard, say at the track. You also do not have to buy lower control arms,although they will have fresh bushings and make the car handle better. The stock ones will work fine.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a brand new set of BMR a arms and I replaced everything on my chasis with all BMR. I didn't need relocation brackets.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Flowride, after reading your questions, you'd be wise to spend some time reading about these cars and how they work, before you spend any money. You need to be educated yourself so you can make smart decisions. This forum is good for learning about f bodies, and discussing different issues, but you need your own knowledge in order to make the best decision for you and your needs and budget. You shouldn't go off strictly what others say. Know for yourself.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FBodyjunkie
I have a brand new set of BMR a arms and I replaced everything on my chasis with all BMR. I didn't need relocation brackets.
Not every one needs the relocation brackets for the rear control arms, but they are a great idea when lowering the car. They also allow greater adjustment and help with traction issues at the track. You do realize though when you say "A-arm" you are referring to the front control arms, not the rears.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FBodyjunkie
Flowride, after reading your questions, you'd be wise to spend some time reading about these cars and how they work, before you spend any money. You need to be educated yourself so you can make smart decisions. This forum is good for learning about f bodies, and discussing different issues, but you need your own knowledge in order to make the best decision for you and your needs and budget. You shouldn't go off strictly what others say. Know for yourself.
I'll keep this to a minimum. I didn't grow up with a backyard mechanic dad. The friends that I had that were mechanically inclined would tell you that asking me to help them fix their cars would be tantamount to asking a 4 year old to do trigonometry. It's also the reason why I joined a forum where people in the know, like yourself, can educate me. I WANT to do stuff to my car and yes, I want to learn. That...takes time. I do searches on this forum and others to find answers to my questions. If I don't know, I ask. I've learned that from 21 years in healthcare, saving lives.

And forgive me if this sounds crass, but it appears my posts bother you. I realize you are likely smarter than me in regard to this stuff, so if they do, please ignore my posts. If I am wrong, sorry for my misstep.

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Not every one needs the relocation brackets for the rear control arms, but they are a great idea when lowering the car. They also allow greater adjustment and help with traction issues at the track. You do realize though when you say "A-arm" you are referring to the front control arms, not the rears.
As for what you've said, I would have to agree. My questions were along the same lines as what F-Junkie said, too. It's an inch...shouldn't need all that stuff. HOWEVER, my thoughts were that IF I were going to try to lower the car again, perhaps I should do it right because maybe I didn't do all the necessary steps last time. An adjustable PHB, control arms, relo kit, and bump stops? They could only help. Besides, what if I decided to lower it more? Oh yeah, the parts I'm replacing are also 15 years old. Couldn't hurt to have some new swag!

Finally, for the record, I didn't even know what this **** was till I joined this forum. Learning...just sayin'.

Quick Reply: lowering ?'s