Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear member

I totally understand the limited budget. That's why I got the sixer I had. I wish I didn't get rid of it.
Before I got my Z, I had been looking at a few sixers that we had in wholesale at Carmax. I liked a dark blue one with magnaflow duals on it, but it needed too much work so I held out. Then the Z came in as a trade, and for the price I just had to have it. The previous owner got $3000 for trade value, bad for him but good for me.
And I could care less about cloners really, unless they put the wrong badges on cause that's dumb.. the SS styling looks good, I don't see anything wrong with putting an SS hood on a non-SS car. I've thought about it on mine, but instead I decided to do black racing stripes. Silver is boring, I have to make it more interesting somehow.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I were to get rid of Sof now...I would regret it for the rest of my life. And I would NEVER get anything remotely close for her compared to what I put in to her. So at this point, it would be foolish to trade her for a Z. I'm in about 12K including the buying price (bought her at a dealership...I know, overpriced, but I didn't know any better at the time). And the amount continues to grow...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Overdrive Member

I am the proud owner of a sixer (Sarah) and I can claim part ownership in a LS1 Z (My wife's Diamond), I respect them both. As for my thing on clones I dont have a problem with it. My best friend has a 96 RS and now it is as close as you can get to an SS without being an SS. He does not claim it to be an SS, it does have Z28 badges on it but that is about it. Its doner car was a Z28 that was sent to SLP for the SS upgrades but not built as an SS to save on insurance. He bought it from the original owner, who had the SLP paperwork. The car's engine has quite a bit more power than the one in Diamond, so I believe it had the mods. That car was on its way to be sold and some one that had only been driving for 2 weeks didnt stop at a light when making a right turn and creamed the right side and put the car on top of a curb barrier. Yea it messed the car up pretty bad. A couple of weeks later there was a 3.8L engine sitting on the ground and a second life for an SLP LS1. Now what I dont like is the dealers and people that tryto push a Z as an SS just because it has the hood, Where is the WU8 code on the door? oh it does not have one... Yea that is what I thought a clone you are trying to push as an SS. The 2002 Camaro 3.8L that the dealers charge more for since the dash badge has 35th anaversary on it... They ALL do... but that does not mean it is an Anaversary edition. And of course the LS owners that claim that my 3.8L is junk because it is a sixer. Anyway enough of my rant

Massey

Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
If I were to get rid of Sof now...I would regret it for the rest of my life. And I would NEVER get anything remotely close for her compared to what I put in to her. So at this point, it would be foolish to trade her for a Z. I'm in about 12K including the buying price (bought her at a dealership...I know, overpriced, but I didn't know any better at the time). And the amount continues to grow...
That's a big investment, but hey it's worth it right? You've got a unique car that you love and plan on keeping as long as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
The 2002 Camaro 3.8L that the dealers charge more for since the dash badge has 35th anaversary on it... They ALL do... but that does not mean it is an Anaversary edition.
Yeah this always makes me laugh. Every 02 has that if badge I'm not mistaken.. my sixer did and so does my Z.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so whats goin on with sofi? any progress. enough of the downer stuff, have you forgotten you won? bask in the glory you have a very nice camaro, got a truck, got a guy that is there for you, life is good.

Last edited by craby; 10-11-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ever hear the saying, "I'd rather have bad luck than no luck at all"? My dad says it all the time. Frankly, I really want no luck. I ordered the rocker arm clips today from Summit so it can be properly diagnosed that it is a lifter without making too much of a mess. They'll probably be here Wednesday. The ticking is so unbearably annoying. Just as bad as when my rear shocks squeaked because they were shot. It's just one thing after another with this car.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sofi is testing you. itll work out for ya just gota keep on keepin on.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear member

On the bright side, winter is coming. Plenty of time to get everything squared away before spring returns with t-top weather.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Overdrive Member

I feel your pain Darling... Right after I get the new engine in Sarah I start overheating. I smell antifreeze when ever she is warm but I cant find any leaks any where. New engine runs much better than the old one did and no stuff in the oil no oil in the water but I am losing water fast. I finally found the leak but I dont have the $$$ or time to get it fixed right now. I did the dredded stop leak and so far so good. My wife was telling me to trade it in (I dont want a car payment), my friend was surfing CL for LS1s for me to swap out and everyone was pushing me to dump Sarah for some other car that I dont know. Now that she is not causing any overheating issues everyone loves her again. So yes I feel your pain and frustration.

Massey

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!