Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Overdrive Member

I just put an engine in Sarah and I rushed through the job. I didnt cut corners but I didnt really stop to take many pictures. What I have is mainly blurry cell phone images. Either way my car runs really good now and I am very happy with her.

Darling, you did a great job and the pink looks great against the black

Massey

Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks Mass. This was all a learning experience for me, so I wanted to take as many pics to document the process as possible.

Oh, I did this Friday, too. Yes she's a little dirty, it just rained yesterday.
Name:  102_0778.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  108.9 KB

Old 08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear member

sweet did you use paint on it or a vinyl

Old 08-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I used paint. I had vinyls before (the white ones) and they started to peel off. They were cheap ebay ones ($8). I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. I started off hand painting it with enamel, but the paints wouldn't mix and it turned out streaky and too light. So I got pissed, spent an hour masking it off, and just sprayed it with the pink acrylic enamel I got for the engine.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah looks good

Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Overdrive Member

GRRRR I cant see the images that are hosted at image hosting sites while at work. I will have to wait till I get home to see. I am going to guess you painted the CAMARO letters on the taillight pannel?

Massey

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Haha that sucks, sorry Mass. But yes, I painted them pink now.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear member

I like this alot, definitely looks better than vinyls. I bet the masking was a total pain..I hate masking, haha. Did you prime and clear it also, or just use the engine enamel by itself? I ask because I have considered painting mine black.. I got cheapo ebay decals as well and I'm not at all happy with them.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I just kept it the enamel. It seems to be holding up really well on the Bomber, so I figured it will hold up well in the insets. My plan for the future is to have them professionally done when I get her repainted. I plan on having the stripes painted on too. I want the light pink with just the slightest hint of pearl in it, so it'll only shimmer when it hits sunlight directly. But yeah, it took a lot of tape and time. Of course spraying it only took like 2 minutes total compared to the almost hour of masking. I started by taking the vinyls off, cleaning it, sanding it, then I used some white enamel. The original plan was to use enamel paints and mix the colors myself. But for whatever reason the new enamel I got wouldn't mix and it turned out streaky and looked awful. So that's when I got fed up, masked it, and sprayed.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Freaking Pharro is what's taking so long. The bottom end was suppose to be back to us this week. Well they're not done. They have to hone it yet. Then they have to wait for the parts to come in. They had to 'special order' bearings and whatever else they needed. I wasn't fully paying attention, I was waiting to hear WHEN I would get it back. So I'm SUPPOSE to get it back next friday and then all the parts will be in the following week. All I got back from them so far has been the cam, but tonight I decided I wanted to throw a bigger one in, so I need to start looking around for one. With all the machining and work and parts they've ordered, my total is over $800, but since I'm paying in cash...and I'm a female...they're gonna get talked down to at least a solid $800. Because I said so. And they're making me wait too damn long for this.
You can pretty much put the blame on me for your car taking "so long". I had Bryan busy around that time getting my heads correct(which by the way, had to be sent to T&D in Nevada to have custom rockers made), so we could finally get the car running after ONE YEAR of down time. Want to talk about down time?

It baffles me that you come across as being dedicated to this hobby yet you don't fully pay attention to someone when they are trying to discuss with you what is needed to complete your build? Especially when it comes to parts pertaining to your motor?

I would definitely not go to Pharro though, that's for sure. It put a strain on the relationship, but it gave us both a very valuable learning experience
Pay attention to this one..it will be another learning experience for you- the special parts that I had to order for my car took MONTHS to arrive after being ordered. This was followed by more WEEKS of calling different race companies to go over clearances, specs, etc. to make sure the $8,000 worth of parts (just in this round of modifications) were 100% correct and we hadn't missed anything. Cars take A LOT of time and A LOT of money. Machine shops get backed up and performance shops are usually swamped.

It put a strain on your relationship? You're in the wrong hobby. You're modifying a car, not making a life altering decision. I'm not trying to be a jerk and would appreciate the mods not deleting this post.

Take a look at my car and tell me why people shouldn't go to Pharro Performance?

Name:  racecar1-2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  37.0 KB
Name:  bottle005-1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  58.5 KB

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!