Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I'm finally getting around to doing this. I made a list of the stuff we found wrong with Sof and a list of what was replaced and upgraded.
Wrong
1. Loose injector wire
2. Pushed-in pin in coil pack connector
3. Bad oil pan gasket
4. Bad front cover gasket
5. Incorrect lower intake gaskets
6. Very dirty TB
7. Bad cam bearings
8. Marks on cam
9. Marks on crank
10. Mark in cylinder 4
11. Sludge build up and oil crud
12. Cracked head between valves
13. Burnt valve springs
14. Bent AC connector
15. Worn out cam chain
16. Faulty oil sending unit
17. Mismatched valve covers

Replaced/Upgraded
1. All new gaskets
2. GT1 cam
3. Cleaned everything
4. Painted everything
5. New lifters
6. Reman heads
7. Fixed pin in coil pack connector
8. Cleaned out TB and MAF
9. New 21 lb fuel injectors
10. Oil sending unit
11. Timing chain
12. Wire looming
13. Oil pump
14. Painted hood struts
15. Strut tower brace
16. Fixed AC
17. New fuse box labels
18. Piston rings
19. Cleaned block
20. Port matched and polished intake
21. Starter
22. 180* thermostat
23. Ground/polished crank
24. Honed block

I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff. I'll add to the lists whenever I remember more stuff. So it was basically a stock rebuild. My intentions in the beginning were to do more machine work to the block, which is why I didn't want to just buy another engine and throw in. But as time went on and Pharro was giving me problems, I opted to just do any parts upgrades I could and just be done with them. But the small things I know will make a difference. Just the block being cleaned and all the parts getting cleaned added a bunch of extra hp over what she was right before the build. Not to mention about 100 lbs of weight reduction. I never realized how bad she really was on the inside. Then I decided on the bigger cam last minute because I can't resist a cammed car and I had saved money on not having more block work done. The cracked head was a surprise, but that's why I budgeted enough for almost anything to go wrong. It took over a month to build because Pharro took their sweet time. If I were to do this again, I'm not sure I would. I would definitely not go to Pharro though, that's for sure. It put a strain on the relationship, but it gave us both a very valuable learning experience. Not only in how these engines are built, but in how we work together. I know 100 times more about my car than I did 2 months ago. I definitely would NOT trade that for anything. That was the point in the beginning though. To learn more about this engine. She's such a mystery as to what happened before I got her. It's in my nature to want to tear it apart and try to figure it out. Even though I wasn't the one doing most of the tearing apart or figuring out. But oh well. I'm hoping when I get her tuned next year I can get a hefty hp jump. Hoping between 250-270 hp. I'm trying to stay realistic. She'll also get a new set of rear gears then as well. This is NOT my race car. So her intentions is not to be the quickest six out there, but a faster, 'fuel efficient' (if I could stay out of the pedal, lol), daily driver that looks and sounds amazing. There's still a LONG list of mods I want to do. But my bank account needs a break for now. My budget for the build was $3k. I spent (in receipts that I could find and total up) $2,948.37. I'm sure there's more misc stuff here and there I missed, but I was on track with the budget. I really only have Case to thank for all his help in the build. I know I wouldn't have been able to do any of it (other than the painting and cleaning parts) without him. I didn't know anything about rebuilding an engine. But now I do. In total I have invested in the car including the build is over $6,500. And that amount will keep on climbing....

After this engine goes in about another 100k miles, I'm thinking of a turbo build for her...but only time will tell.

Last edited by DarlingReject; 07-30-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

DAMN that suxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What exactly?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

now thats a list. its a wonder it ran. lol.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
now thats a list. its a wonder it ran. lol.
haha, my thoughts exactly as i tore it down. and it ran and sounded great. it out ran my blazer, even when she didnt launch. that was before she added the headers or intake or anything else, and i already had a full exhaust and intake and an experience advantage

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I know. I was amazed at everything. But she ran as strong as she could for me. Never left me stranded. She stepped up and took off when I asked her to. I'm still not sure how after finding everything.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by microkid
haha, my thoughts exactly as i tore it down. and it ran and sounded great. it out ran my blazer, even when she didnt launch. that was before she added the headers or intake or anything else, and i already had a full exhaust and intake and an experience advantage
That's why she has her name, Sofie. You remember the story.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yup, and she even rides nicer, the sofa part

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Story? What story? Don't bait the hook and then not take us fishing......

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

epic build darling reject...wish i would of did more pics of when i did gale...i was too much in a dam hurry to actually enjoy the built, but i felt like a champ when mine fired right up

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!