Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 AM
4th Gear Member
Default pump needed

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
theres the spot an looks like there cutting them out ,not sure if any are marked or not I got one with mesure ments.I am sure you had to know this ,seems a lot easyer then droping that tank ,wich you can do ,now wich pump would you recommend thanks scott
now to research .do we replace that with lower psi pump about 10 ,or do they pull old one cap it off then use sending unit,got a pretty good idea what the psi is just wich pump an how it goes thanks guys,i got to say they talk about streetable hp an torq feels like enough for me with the stall ,does not even feel like the same car ,feels great just some getting used to

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-06-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 PM
4th Gear Member
Default this one seem to fit a bit better then the other posted back

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
now to research .do we replace that with lower psi pump about 10 ,or do they pull old one cap it off then use sending unit,got a pretty good idea what the psi is just wich pump an how it goes thanks guys,i got to say they talk about streetable hp an torq feels like enough for me with the stall ,does not even feel like the same car ,feels great just some getting used to
it seems to fit better I did not take pic with air cleaner on it yet ,will take video of it running when we get there

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7100.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't use those foam type of air cleaners......if you value your car. One good backfire through the carb, and the foam can start on fire. Besides, a dropped base round air cleaner will give you more clearance above.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
4th Gear Member

ok thank you ,I have thought about fires a desent fire extingesher abc would be good thing to aaah,?what about the pump manual style ,now the air cleaner I was thinking about dual a style that's sits low an has 2 cones comeing off it ,will get a 6 inch to work for now ,drop down base will look that up ,the one I want is like $200.00 but a K&N,

Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 PM
4th Gear Member
Default monday

Originally Posted by Gorn
Out of curiously, how are you handling the fuel pressure? Your factory fuel pump output 48 PSI you carb is going to have an issue over 6 PSI. Most guys have to pull the tank and make a new sending unit.
going to pul the intank pump ,just not sure wich I can either replace it with,an or using sending unit,does it have to be taken out ,or can a sending unit be used ,I am researching keep finding sending units out of tank ,an in tank high pressure ,the one thing I would like to work on the cluster is the gas gauge is working or was ,then there is the mechanical one that came with it ,delete the regulater wont have a gas gauge ,thanks

Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 PM
4th Gear Member

I am confused, You have 5 PSI of fuel pressure? How did you get that. Your Camaro had a 48 PSI system that must recirculate continuously or you will fry the pump. Most guys pull the pump out of the tank and make a straight pick up tube. Then they mount a lower pressure electric pump outside of the tank.
this ,?now would be having a fuel guage if we do that ,why cant we keep the pump in there unhook power to the pump but not the gauge ,thanks

Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Think of it this way, you are pulling fuel through a vain pump. For fuel to pass through the vain has to spin. At this point you have overheated your pump motor winding and damaged the bearings but the vain is still spinning freely. What happen when the vain locks up and cannot spin? No fuel.

Pulling fuel is harder then pushing it (that is why the pump is in the tank). Just having the resistance of the vain in the fuel tank would be very hard on whatever pump you install. You also need to relocate the filter so it is on the pressure side of the pump. You do not want to try to suck fuel through a filter either.

If this was mine I would pull the sending unit, measure it, remove the pump, Braze in a solid copper tube and fit the orginal sock so it is at the same place as it is stock. then just reinstall the sending unit without effecting the gas gage. Since your purge valve no longer works you can run a line to the charcoal canister directly or plug up everything and add a vented Gas cap. Your tank needs to breath if it breaths through the charcoal filter you will get little or no fuel smell but if it breaths with out the charcoal you are going to smell it on hot days.

I know your stock cars pretty well but any suggestion I make on the conversion process are just guesses on my part since I have not done a conversion.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-07-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:27 PM
4th Gear Member
Default thanks

Think of it this way, you are pulling fuel through a vain pump. For fuel to pass through the vain has to spin. At this point you have overheated your pump motor winding and damaged the bearings but the vain is still spinning freely. What happen when the vain locks up and cannot spin? No fuel.

Pulling fuel is harder then pushing it (that is why the pump is in the tank). Just having the resistance of the vain in the fuel tank would be very hard on whatever pump you install. You also need to relocate the filter so it is on the pressure side of the pump. You do not want to try to suck fuel through a filter either.

If this was mine I would pull the sending unit, measure it, remove the pump, Braze in a solid copper tube and fit the orginal sock so it is at the same place as it is stock. then just reinstall the sending unit without effecting the gas gage. Since your purge valve no longer works you can run a line to the charcoal canister directly or plug up everything and add a vented Gas cap. Your tank needs to breath if it breaths through the charcoal filter you will get little or no fuel smell but if it breaths with out the charcoal you are going to smell it on hot days.

I know your stock cars pretty well but any suggestion I make on the conversion process are just guesses on my part since I have not done a conversion.
,I was thinking we may be able to do that ,I got 7 to 14psi inline pump that comes with a reg it was all they have if I want it up an running again tomorrow ,both filters are on pressure side I will print this up for him ,this was his first Camaro ,an you have been pretty spot on I think anything less would not push the gas as well $99.00 online same day pick up ,thanks gorn

Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 PM
4th Gear Member
Default 14x3

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Don't use those foam type of air cleaners......if you value your car. One good backfire through the carb, and the foam can start on fire. Besides, a dropped base round air cleaner will give you more clearance above.
14x3 seem to be the commen size one say only one inch needed clearance ,we got that ,just need to check measure from center stud on carb to fire wall to get aprox 7 inches

Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I have live that. I had the key on too long fried a set of points. Not knowing I tried to start it and it cranked for awhile and bang. Next thing I know I was putting out a fire. Just bubbled the paint a little. Could be a lot worse. I warn everyone I see with one at car show.

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406