Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM
4th Gear Member

tapped into the line behind the tranny

Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 AM
4th Gear Member

not sure whats going to fry the pump we are just regulating it ,,will go to mechanical pump if that happens ,ok I see your point we will see I guess,worse case we pout one in it next week that should be it I hope ,plan for some head burn ,its the world I can admit when I am wrong ,an I can ,the mech well ,don't think is going to be takeing jobs like this again anytime soon ,though I can tell there doing it right to there the best abilitys ,it is what is is ,,,like said anyone who chooses this route ,will save later on on repairs ,an I know this ,I have a lot more new parts ,good or bad ,biggest thing make sure uyour dealing with solid car ,venting a bit ,yup wrong,i was thinking he was right

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-06-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 08-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

From a mechanical point of view what you saying makes no sense.

The way a fuel injected pump work is it pumps a massive amount of fuel through the high pressure line to the fuel injection system. The amount of fuel never varies. The fuel injection system regulate the pressure and returns the unused fuel to the fuel tank through a second fuel line. The fuel pump has no idea if you are idle or at 5500 RPMS WOT. The fuel pump is a very high performance electric motor that is cooled by the fuel flowing through it. If you reduce the fuel flow in any way you will kill the fuel pump. Even a semi clogged filter can cause a fuel pump to fail.

If you need to switch to a manual pump you need to remove the current pump from the tank. You do not want the mechanical pump to have to try to pull fuel though your electric in-tank pump.

Cheaper? I think Craby is deep into the 400 HP range and he has upgrade his engine transmission and rear for 6K ish. and still get 20 MPG. They did warn you that if you have any trouble with the distributer step one to fix it will be pull the engine? So when a $10 rotor cap fails you are looking at big money or a lot of hours to fix it. Rotor caps should be replaced every 3 years.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-29-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:03 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn

The way a fuel injected pump work is it pumps a massive amount of fuel through the high pressure line to the fuel injection system. The amount of fuel never varies. The fuel injection system regulate the pressure and returns the unused fuel to the fuel tank through a second fuel line. The fuel pump has no idea if you are idle or at 5500 RPMS WOT. The fuel pump is a very high performance electric motor that is cooled by the fuel flowing through it. If you reduce the fuel flow in any way you will kill the fuel pump. Even a semi clogged filter can cause a fuel pump to fail.

If you need to switch to a manual pump you need to remove the current pump from the tank. You do not want the mechanical pump to have to try to pull fuel though your electric in-tank pump. ok thanks I will print this an bring it to them ,keith said he did pick up truck to olds shcool with fuel injection was 93 ,an the 50psi unit has not failed yet .but I will print this an bring in tuesday ,we got to get low profile cap an wire in a coil the cap it to tall an don't want to any holes 3/4th inch ,yes I think they relized it was a lot more then even they though not having done Camaro 95 ,so then a standered type low pressure fuel pump should work then you see the fuel reg on the left he tapped in an ran a line behind the tranny ,I see your point thanks ,did make alot of headway today were 95% there ,pics shows the clearance for the carb ,the distributer doe clear the fire wall too
Cheaper? I think Craby is deep into the 400 HP range and he has upgrade his engine transmission and rear for 6K ish. and still get 20 MPG. They did warn you that if you have any trouble with the distributer step one to fix it will be pull the engine? So when a $10 rotor cap fails you are looking at big money or a lot of hours to fix it. Rotor caps should be replaced every 3 years.
yes a lot of thanks for watching out gorn he got heck of a deal an probley did the work himself 4000.00 he does not live up north ,whear I live you cant get that kinda work done for that price,we can get to all that its just the gear that is .rotor cap will get to there not even on yet in pic ,if we choose to make the hole then we can use that cap,so it will be the gear in the olny thing that could fail but rarely do ,thank for the help an ball busting at the oh I forgot I am only at $6000.00 the engine was 3600.00 an totally rebuilt so 4600.00 an later save on repairs those gears rarely go,yes an you don't have to drop the tank ,you can acces it from up above under the nitrous tank ,if not a cover then cut a hole in 5 minutes to access it the pump with out droping tank,more above in you thread.but we should be able to find a low profile cap coil wire it its 3/4hs of an inch like said above ,thoug know thanks for your help ,someones got to keep an eye on those kids there 28 an 31

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7091.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7092.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7093.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-29-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 PM
4th Gear Member

no for real thanks for your help I should be able to get the fuel pump from auto zone ,wich you recommend ,like one from a 70s or 80s Camaro,i willtake pic od the access panal incase they got to cut it some pics look like they are there others look like they were cut its a lot faster then dropping the tank ,yes I did say we should have put a traditional style disributer , but its does not matter like said gears last the life of the engine ,I am not going to be raceing the car ,I had my fun with it ,with the lt1 in it ,no I did not use the nitrous ,an wot be hooking it up on this one ,for looks was $600,itsalled if I deside to use it,welll its this we modified alot if theres will theres a way ,there has to be cap that will work ,just like said 3/4ths inch , so want have pull engine for that ,but if gear did fail yes .unlikely ,,an the looks will beat the looks of nearly any lt1 ,will send l detailed pics when it done looks a lot better to me .should be able to do double style filter sits low an has 2 filter on either side ,down the road about 200,00 but its for life ,I do know people that spent more ,am there car was down a lot longer ,you know the guy that does not seem to mind takeing 7 years building his hot rod ,I am not that kinda guy ,life is to short ,to me ,an money spent ,well I wasted a lot more on other thing when I was young to buy 20 engines ,like bar rooms other things I don't do anymore,an I can say to people its a modified alright ,4 weeks in ,I do hear the firsr guy to do this took 10 times longer but what do I know ,let me know wich pum I should get thanks again .it has been head burn but oh well live an learn it will be sharper car

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-29-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
4th Gear Member
Default cap

Originally Posted by Gorn

If you need to switch to a manual pump you need to remove the current pump from the tank. You do not want the mechanical pump to have to try to pull fuel though your electric in-tank pump.

the cap had 3/4ths clearance so I told him we should probley put it in ,so it either make hole or find a shorter cap an add a coil.that taller cap that is getting in the way ,there no problem with the distrbuter hiting anything theres over an inch to the fire wall ,but then we still would have had to cut a hole its that or a shorter cap ,an the pump like said I will being the thread to them Tuesday ,an tal about putting the mech pump

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-30-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 AM
4th Gear Member
Default pic of hole for pump

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
the cap had 3/4ths clearance so I told him we should probley put it in ,so it either make hole or find a shorter cap an add a coil.that taller cap that is getting in the way ,there no problem with the distrbuter hiting anything theres over an inch to the fire wall ,but then we still would have had to cut a hole its that or a shorter cap ,an the pump like said I will being the thread to them Tuesday ,an tal about putting the mech pump
theres the spot an looks like there cutting them out ,not sure if any are marked or not I got one with mesure ments.I am sure you had to know this ,seems a lot easyer then droping that tank ,wich you can do ,now wich pump would you recommend thanks scott

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7096.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-30-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 08-30-2014, 03:10 PM
4th Gear Member

thank you now. its the cap for 8362 hei ,about an inch to tall ,I got to say I am glad I only put about 7 to 10.000 on the car per year ,will have figure out something better down the road I figure there has to be a cap that will work bye running external coil or cut the hole .but now we want have to worry about pulling the motor to rplace the cap an rotor ,if the little dip was not there is would fit , cap needed one about an inch shorter or shorter I am looking at part # 8445 an to run an eternal coil thanks guys ,ps it would fit if the edge od the cap did not hit on that hump or if I had an cap without the coil on top ,what you think I would replace with anything that will work for now

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-30-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM
4th Gear Member
Default this one mabey

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
thank you now. its the cap for 8362 hei ,about an inch to tall ,I got to say I am glad I only put about 7 to 10.000 on the car per year ,will have figure out something better down the road I figure there has to be a cap that will work bye running external coil or cut the hole .but now we want have to worry about pulling the motor to rplace the cap an rotor ,if the little dip was not there is would fit , cap needed one about an inch shorter or shorter I am looking at part # 8445 an to run an eternal coil thanks guys ,ps it would fit if the edge od the cap did not hit on that hump or if I had an cap without the coil on top ,what you think I would replace with anything that will work for now
looks shorter

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406