DDRDiesel's 1997 RS project thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012 | 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DDRDiesel
Trust me, that's something I've been meaning to get taken care of. After looking around the bay, under the car, and around the engine, my instincts are telling me the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced. That means I need to take apart the whole front end just the drop the oil pan, replace the gasket, and put everything back together. I have neither the knowledge nor the confidence to take on such a task just yet. I ordered a Haynes repair manual for the 3.8l from RockAuto, and it should be here sometime this week.

Considering we just got thrashed by a hurricane, I'm not holding my breath on anything

I have heard of people unbolting motor mounts and using engine hoist to raise engine a few inches, and remove oil pan that way.

P.S: It's not a big issue unless your losing a quart a day from it.

Old 10-31-2012 | 03:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you want to get the pan out just do as was mentioned, remove the bolts from your mounts and raise the engine a few inches with an engine puller and you should be golden.

Old 11-07-2012 | 03:37 PM
|
1st Gear Member

UPDATE:

Since we just got over getting demolished by hurricane Sandy, and now we're in the middle of yet another storm, it looks like I won't be able to do anything for a while. So I might as well read up on the new arrival:

Name:  2012-11-07_15-25-16_928.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  72.5 KB

FINALLY CAME IN. Was held up in Pennsylvania after the hurricane, roads were impassable. Now time to dig in and learn what I can

Old 12-04-2012 | 06:54 PM
|
1st Gear Member

So, not much to update here, except that I got the read differential finally taken care of. Popped of the cover, scraped out the old gasket and drained the oil. My first thought of the old gear oil was Han Solo saying "Rear differential oil! What a fantastic idea! What a wonderful smell you've discovered!". And I finally figured out what the rear cover is, here's a link to the manufacturer's site:

GM Girdles, Chevy 7.5" 10 Bolt Rear End Girdle, TA_1809 | TAPerformance.com

Still don't know what those two threaded bolts are for, or how to set them, but I'm not too worried about it. My one question is this: I used two full bottles of 75w-90 in the rear, is that enough? I can't get a definitive answer anywhere, nor can I get a specific answer if that was the correct oil to use. Also, I'm not 100% if my rear is limited-slip or not, but I used Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil with LSD additive. If the rear isn't LS, will the additive do any harm to the rear end, or is it one of those "Couldn't hurt to use it anyway" situations?

Old 12-04-2012 | 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Those bolts on the cover get snubbed down against the carrier bearing caps. It gives the cap added support in the middle to relieve stress.
If you had taken a picture of the innards, we could have told you right away what you have. Jack the back of the car up having both tires off the ground. With it in neutral, give one tire a spin and look at the other side. Both spinning the same direction, LSD. Opposite directions, open diff.
And no, the additive won't hurt a thing if you have an open diff.
Oh yeah, you're "full" when the oil starts to run back out the fill hole.

Old 12-04-2012 | 09:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 12-05-2012 | 07:44 AM
4th Gear Member

As for the amount and type of rear gear, it's listed here for you.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...acities-70171/

But yeah, once it starts running out of the top bolt you're pretty much filled.

Old 12-12-2012 | 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Took 2 to fill my diff. However i ended up with 3 total, counter guy thought he was one hell of a sells man to sell me 3.

P.S: I just buy extra for leaks down the road.

Old 12-28-2012 | 11:25 PM
|
1st Gear Member

Still a bit apprehensive on the read end, just hoping I did a good job back there. Every now and then I hear a slight tick/knocking sound from the rear, but only when I"m braking and moving very slowly (No more than 5 mph) or when I slowly accelerate. It's due for an inspection soon, so I might as well tell the guys at the shop to look into it if they can. This way I can at least get an idea of what's going on. Looks like the next mod is an adjustable panhard rod. I'm thinking the knocking sound could also be the panhard, as the bushing on almost all the suspension pieces back there are shot or cracked in one way or another, and I didn't exactly tighten the bolt for the panhard all the way down, just enough to hold it in place. Like I said, It's going to be looked into during inspection. Here's the panhard I ordered:

1982 - 2002 GM F-Body Single Adjustable Panhard Bar- Poly Bushings [2019] - $84.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

Ended up going through the manufacturer's site, it was cheaper than Summit and they have an End-Of-Year clearance going on right now, so I couldn't pass it up. Pictures when it comes in and when the next work gets done!

Old 01-01-2013 | 10:59 PM
|
1st Gear Member

Welp, it finally happened. It's been a little over a year that I've owned the car, and I finally got my first ticket. Something completely stupid, too. Got pulled over for my turn signals not working (Yes, still can't figure it out), and he also hit me for the front license plate and my insurance. I accidentally gave him the wrong insurance card and instead of asking if I had my current one, he just went ahead and made the ticket :facepalm:. So, it looks like I have some work ahead of me to get this sorted out, which is good timing considering my inspection just came up anyway. Looks like this is getting put on hold for now

Quick Reply: DDRDiesel's 1997 RS project thread