Chaotic's Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Going to pick up my new transmission tonight!!! Woot Woot

It came out of a 1994 Firebird 3.4 with 121xxx miles. Can't wait to have reverse and 2nd gear back!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a FYI. Painting coils is not a good idea. The paint will hold in heat and can cause premature failure. You should also not paint anything that has electronics bolted to it. It could be heat path and the paint will slow the transfer of heat and cause issues.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, very nice Chaotic94! You've done a great job with your Camaro! I hope mine turns out as nice as yours!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^Yeah and I hope mine will, one day, be as fast as yours. lol

Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I picked up my new tranny tonight. Shifts into all the gears great. Seems solid. I also spun the input shaft in every gear to make sure nothing was out of line. Hopefully I will find some time soon to put it in the car.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member

Cool beans... dont mess this one up now... As you know those trannys are not that easy to find where you are located.

Massey

Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
^Yeah and I hope mine will, one day, be as fast as yours. lol
Well, I don't know if mine is that much quicker? I'm doing top-end engine work to regain the HP I've lost. My car had a bad EGR for a long time and made alot of carbon buildup. My 2-piece driveshaft isn't balanced properly and vibrates the car so that's why I'm getting the 1-piece. I put the stasge-II clutch in because the clutch needed to be replaced and the stage-II was cheaper than the AC Delco! Posi is so my tires wear more evenly. I'll let you all know when I dyno the car later on this spring.

Now, as for your new tranny it's coming out of a 94. There is a technical service bulleting from GM for the T5. From 93 to 95 there is an issue with the tranny from factory that will cause it to pop out of gear. Of course they fixed the issue in 96! Check out my thread where I posted the TSB: https://camaroforums.com/forum/v6-te...reverse-60055/

Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok sort of a dumb question, where exactly did you learn to work on everything you do to your car? I'd love to do it all myself, make it look good, but I really have no idea how to get started. The car is looking amazing though.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by tjsmar
Ok sort of a dumb question, where exactly did you learn to work on everything you do to your car? I'd love to do it all myself, make it look good, but I really have no idea how to get started. The car is looking amazing though.

I have been around cars all my life. It started when I was 5 and my dad agreed to restore my uncle's 56 T-bird... That took 11 years and the car is a show winner! He used to own a 68 Chev Short step that he bought 4 months after I was born and sold it when I was 27. I watched 2 paint jobs, and 2 engines when I was younger and the final paint and engine was assisted by me. My Sis and I both got 66 Mustangs for our 16th birthdays. Dad painted hers for her and when my time came the Restoration was up to me with his assistance (see the start and finish below) From the age of 14 on I was all about turning wrenches and I was helping Dad as often as he would allow and learning what I could.

This is what my second Mustang looked like the day I started doing the body work.
Name:  mustang2-1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  48.4 KB

This is the last Pic I took of the car before I sold it.
Name:  mustang.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  73.8 KB

I am the tall goofy looking kid and the red head is my best friend.

Dad could only teach me so much so I took any and all Automotive classes I could in High school, even body classes. When I graduated I went to Tech College for Auto Collision repair and after graduating from that I spent the next 3 years as a body man then got moved over to the paint shop for another 6 months. In that 6 months I went from the level of first year appretice to almost journeyman level. The body side I was a 3 yr apprentice. I cant paint any more due to a chemical sensitivity so I turned my career track to auto mechanics.

There I worked a few years as a light and mid level tech for a couple of GM dealers and a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Due to the sensitivity with the paint chemicals I found that some of the cleaning chemicals needed in auto repair also give me issues.

For the last 12+ years now I have left my mechanics to a hobby level, but I have kept up on current technology for the most part. I work at an autopart store part time to help keep myself in the loop so to speak.

If you want to learn how to do all this yourself then go to school and learn as much as you can. It is a good idea to grasp the fundamentals first. ALL and I do mean ALL engines, not matter who makes them all work the same, there are just different methods to making everthing work.

Massey

Last edited by Massey; 03-28-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Wow, nice subtle hijack to the thread. Pretty sure the guy was asking Chaotic the question though! lol

Quick Reply: Chaotic's Progress Thread