2000 SS Camaro build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Default 2000 SS Camaro build

First off, a little history. I bought this car 2 years ago. I found it for a steal (so I thought) with a little "TLC" needed. The guy I bought it from had it sitting in a garage to build it but ran out of funds, now I know why. I looked at the car and noticed it had obvious flaws. The gas cap was missing, stereo was missing, it had a repaired quarter panel that had not been painted, missing trim, and the interior was so dirty I thought it would have to be replaced. BUT: It started right up. I pulled it out of it's den and fell in love. When I test drove the hell out of it the check engine light turned on. I thought it was telling me to tighten the (absent) gas cap and used this to get the price down to slightly less than half of blue book.

From that point on I have:

Installed new gas cap.
Installed dvd head unit.
Put a coat of rattle can pewter on the quarter. (Which so far has done a great job at making the repair unnoticeable, unless it's pointed out. Great Job Dupli-color!)
Replaced all 4 O2 sensors. (Real reason for engine light)
Replaced defective water pump.
Replaced defective passenger side window motor.
Replaced plugs and wires.
Replaced 5/8 plug socket I lost somewhere in the passenger side of that damn thing. I never want to do plugs again in my life... stupid thing...
Replaced 3 ignition coils at 3 different times.
Replaced dvd unit with a regular CD player because it was obnoxious and the face blocked the vents.
Installed SLP air box and K&N filter.
Installed SLP mass airflow.
Replaced tires, WTF! These things should be gold plated for that price!
Reprogrammed it with a Hypertech I got for $50.

Well the Coverking custom seat covers and LLOYD Matts were just because I wanted to. Every thing else was either bad, broke, cracked or just not there.
Now that my budget has been renamed to camaro repair to camaro build- It's time to have some fun!

I have a short throw, aluminum flywheel and a spec clutch literally in the mail. Not sure if that's going in first, or if I will take it to the paint booth wed and put it in when I get the car back. We will see if FED-EX follows through and my honey-do list is not too long by this sunday.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Nice car and welcome to the forums.

Just from experience, I've found changing the plugs is easier from the bottom than from the top. Just not enough room under the hood, that's why I started chucking things.

Got any other pics for us?