Window problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Window problems

Recently my driver window is stuck in the down position its been like that for a week now. Its automatic windows. Is there a way to raise the window manually at least till I get my check for a new window motor?

Thanks

Old 01-14-2016, 05:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Remove the window motor and turn the gears manually. I'm not sure if you need to put the motor back in to keep the window up.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM

I suggest getting the AutoTrix kit instead of just a replacement window motor.
The reason the window motors die on these cars is because GM had the bright idea of wiring the motors from the battery to the driver-side motor, the from the driver motor to the passenger-side motor. Instead of wiring both directly to the battery. If you don't fix the wiring issue that's the inherent problem with these cars, it's only a matter of time before the new motor dies on you.

The kit will also give you auto down on both sides.

https://www.autotrix.net/Products/21...rs+Bundle+Kit/

More expensive than just a replacement motor. But IMO if you're gonna fix it, then fix it right once and for all so it doesn't break again.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear member

My window motors are 18 years old and still going. The driver side one seemed a bit slow last year so I replaced it. New one was no faster so I swapped the original motor back in. Then I noticed it was time to re-grease the tracks. The reason mine have lasted so long is because I have re-greased the window tracks at least every 3 years since it was 5 years old. Think about it. The wiring didn't get smaller or longer, the motors didn't get smaller. But the tracks did get dry and sticky.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CountTripula
Recently my driver window is stuck in the down position its been like that for a week now. Its automatic windows. Is there a way to raise the window manually at least till I get my check for a new window motor?

Thanks
my driver's side window motor was acting up to the point where I'd just not roll it down. I finally decided to replace it and in the process had the worst luck, one of the regulator wheels broke, I ordered another one with motor attached & for the life if me could not get the re-install complete, I have large hands and my back was hurting trying to align everything, so I said f it & put in a manual regulator & buttoned everything back up, love the roll up window & will do the same when the passenger side stops, just my experience....

Old 02-23-2016, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nickel Plated
I suggest getting the AutoTrix kit instead of just a replacement window motor.
The reason the window motors die on these cars is because GM had the bright idea of wiring the motors from the battery to the driver-side motor, the from the driver motor to the passenger-side motor. Instead of wiring both directly to the battery. If you don't fix the wiring issue that's the inherent problem with these cars, it's only a matter of time before the new motor dies on you.

The kit will also give you auto down on both sides.

https://www.autotrix.net/Products/21...rs+Bundle+Kit/

More expensive than just a replacement motor. But IMO if you're gonna fix it, then fix it right once and for all so it doesn't break again.
When I take the ttops off will the windows drop faster than the panties?