water getting in

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member
Default water getting in

In my 97z, under the passenger seat in the rear there is a little black rubber plug lookin thing. What the hell is that? It is rather loose, and, ontop of that, for some reason when it rains alot, the carpet under the back passenger seat and the carpeting under the front passenger seat get wet. And it isnt just a kind of damp wet, under the rear passenger seat there will be standing water. Not only does this raise concerns of mold, but my car now smells like $hit. Where could the water get in? Is it just a bad seal somewhere or is this something more extreme. I have all but the driver side seat out, and i used a knife to cut a flap under the rear passenger seat to see where the water was coming from. I'll try sealing that little hole better and then ill let you guys know how that goes. Please if you have ANY idea, ANY at all! I hate the way it smells please help!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: water getting in

even though most of the time i post i talk to myself ill update anyway. The plugs werent the problem, i think the hatch is leaking, because it comes in from the top, i put alot of seem seal on the bolts that hold the hatch to the car and in some of the other random holes up under (over?) the headliner. Im not sure how that will work, there is no rain in the forecast for atleast a week so ill have to make my own. Anyway right now there is a bucket belted in to my back seat just to see if it really is coming in from the top. Has ANY one else had this problem with 4th gens? Anyone at all? My parents and everyone i ask always tells me "well its your t-tops stupid!" its too far back to be the t-tops and i know where all those leaks are. Any help would be appreciated, or at least say hi...i mean its fun talkin to myself and all.....but......help please!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear Member

Is the headliner wet at all?

Old 05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

Maybe the weatherstripping around the passenger window?

Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 AM
March 2008 ROTM

yea, i would be checking all your weather stripping. I bet either your t-top stripping or maybe the stripping around the hatch has gone bad. IF it has t-tops. Just because its far back, dont rule out the t-tops just yet. With the car getting that wet, there is a pretty steady stream comming in. Have a buddy or something stand outside with a hose while you sit inside and look for the water. Then at least you will have a starting point to look for.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
1st Gear Member

YAH Definetly check your weatherstrips...Even though its rather new doesnt mean that they haven't gone bad already...And Take 350rs's advice with the hose...while its being sprayed feel around your headliner and your t-tops....Feel under the back seat to see if its comin thru under there as well...

Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear member

I am 99% sure i found the problem finally. I had to take the whole f-ing carpet out, which i think ill replace because of the smell. Anyways, im fairly certain it is actually the rear struts. The little white sponge things ontop of both of them were very wet, and the hose test revealed it is not coming in from the top so this is one of the last options. Its pretty bare inside the car without a center console, carpet or backseats, but until i know for sure that the leak has stopped im not gonna waste my time putting it all back in.

Where could i find a whole carpet for a 4th gen?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea if this would apply to your car, but I do know that a friends car had a moon roof and it had drain holes in it that could get plugged. The the water just findsa path into the car.

Good Luck---

Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

that little plug is there as a drain hole. don't know anyone that has actually pulled it out to use as a drain though because if your car is that flooded that you need to pull it, you would have worse problems than that