reading lamps and stock radio issues

Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default reading lamps and stock radio issues

I have 'reading lamps' on the rare vision mirror. Problem is regardless of which direction the switch is on, the light will always remain on. I assume this is a faulty switch. Any idea how I would go about fixing this? At the moment I have to pull the bulbs out to prevent the lights staying on.

The stock stereo is just a tape deck, however is aparently a dolby digital with a 200w amp built in? Are these any good? I un plugged it today to see if I could fit a band extender in as the car is from Japan and the radio runs on lower band frequencies so the radio won't work. After I plugged the stereo back in it no longer has any power to it. Where can I connect a multi meter to to find out if the wires have power?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
I have 'reading lamps' on the rare vision mirror. Problem is regardless of which direction the switch is on, the light will always remain on. I assume this is a faulty switch. Any idea how I would go about fixing this? At the moment I have to pull the bulbs out to prevent the lights staying on.

The stock stereo is just a tape deck, however is aparently a dolby digital with a 200w amp built in? Are these any good? I un plugged it today to see if I could fit a band extender in as the car is from Japan and the radio runs on lower band frequencies so the radio won't work. After I plugged the stereo back in it no longer has any power to it. Where can I connect a multi meter to to find out if the wires have power?

Thanks!
For the reading lights, is the rear dome light on also? If so I would check the door jamp switches. IMO, it is umnlikely both reading lamp switchs would go out at the same time. For the radio, see if you blew a fuse somehow. If it worked before you unplugged it and now it does not work after plugging it back in, if you did not do any wiring changes then it might have blown a fuse.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like i did in fact blow a fuse! Doh! Yes the dome light is on also and i am unable to turn it off. There was actually no bulb in it when i brought it so obviously the previous owner had the problem also. How do i find out if its the door switches?

The car appears to have six speakers in it, are these wired directly to the head unit or do they go through the amp?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the mirror light comes on when switch on mirror is on, when door switch is in open position, when dome light wheel switch at the headlight control is turned up all the way. door switch is by the door hinges.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Take the door switches out and clean the contacts up. Also make sure your dimmer switch is not turned all the way up as this will also turn on all the interior lights.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Turns out I had the dimmer switch all the way up, never realised that was the light switch aswell!

As for the reading lamps, the passenger light wont work at all, even though i know the light isnt blown. Driver light is always on regardless of switch position. I assume its the switches that are faulty?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Time to get out your multimeter and see if you have power to the contacts for the bulb. Then start tracing.