Need help repairing torn seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Need help repairing torn seat

I have a 94 Z28 with the original leather seats. The drivers seat has some small rips from where I had to cut into the seat to repair the lumbar. The rips are on the side near the drivers door but on the upper portion instead of the typical spot on the lower seat. Now this question is for anyone old enough to remember the commercial from early 80s that used to advertise a "vinyl repair kit". You would apply the colored liquid, apply the "magic" paper, hold a few seconds, and voala! Your vinyl rip is repaired! So does anyone know if this stuff is still available? I need a way to sucsessfully repair my torn seat. I'm set on doing it myself. I just hate paying to have something done that I can easily do myself. Any suggestions on how to repair this seat would be greatly appreciated. I'll be replacing the carpets and headliner in the coming weeks so I would like this seat to look new, as all the rest of the seats do. Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Master Manufacturing Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit-

(67 Customer Reviews)
Write a review |

About this product
Print

Buy from Walmart

Shipping & Pickup

$11.20

Quantity

Add to:
My List

My Registry

In stock for:

• • Free store pickup with near: Find

• Ship to homeWhen will it arrive?

97¢ shipping

About this product

Top of Page

Item Description
Product Warranty and Service Plan Options

Specifications
Gifting Plans

Product Reviews
Financing Offers

Q&A Exchange

Item Description

Top of Page

The Master Manufacturing Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit is a convenient and hassle-free way to repair leather and vinyl products. It follows a unique process without the use of heat to repair various types of damages. You can mend holes, rips, and tears on leather and vinyl surfaces. This kit can help you repair many things such as purses, briefcases, luggage, jackets, belts, boots, footwear, and even motorcycle and auto seats, vinyl floors, and many more. Since, these leather repair kits dont require heat repair process; you can get the job done with much less effort. The Master Manufacturing Leather and Vinyl Repair Kits come with applicator, mixing cups, backing fabric, grain papers, and seven intermixable colors for use on vinyl and leather surfaces of different colors. To guide you along the right way, these kits also include color mixing guide, instructions, and practice vinyl.

Master Manufacturing Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit:RESTOR-IT-Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit
Uses a unique no heat repair process, just apply and let dry
Easily repairs burns holes, rips, and tears on leather and vinyl surfaces
Useful for repairing briefcases, luggage, jackets, purses, belts, boots, clothing, footwear, auto seats, motorcycle seats, vinyl floors, and many more
kit contains: 7 intermixable colors, color mixing guide, practice vinyl, grain papers, backing fabric, spatula, mixing cups, and instructions
Made in USA

Do you have questions about this product? Ask a question.

Specifications

Top of Page

Model No.: 368330 Shipping Weight (in pounds): 0.25 Product in Inches (L x W x H): 3.75 x 1.25 x 7.5

Customer Product Reviews

Top of Page

Rated 3.3 out of 5Â by 67reviewers.

See All Reviews

Product Warranty and Service Plan Options

Top of Page

Product warranty: N See details

Gifting Plans

Top of Page

Gift options are not available for this item.

Financing Offers

Top of Page

Enjoy Great Financing!

Make the most of your shopping experience with the Walmart Discover® or Walmart Credit Card.
Open a Walmart Credit Card, Spend $100 Today and Get $20 Back*
*Offer subject to credit approval
Learn More or Apply Now
No Payments + No Interest if Paid in Full in 6 Months!
Enjoy no payments for 6 months. You'll have 6 months with no payments, and no interest if paid in full within 6 months on orders over $250. Otherwise, interest will be charged from the original date of purchase. Bill Me Later is the quick, easy, secure way to buy online without using your credit card. Simply select Bill Me Later at checkout. Subject to credit approval.
See Terms

Disclaimer

Top of Page

While we strive to obtain accurate product information, we cannot guarantee or ensure the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of any product information. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented on this website and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions and other information provided with the product before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Walmart.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or health condition. Content on this website is for reference purposes only and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist or other licensed healthcare professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem.

Last edited by Edwardgp; 01-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Thanks man!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have that repair kit, but mine also has a little round iron that heats and sets up the patch goop.
That won't work to fix a rip or tear in a seat, it will open right back up on you. That repair stuff is for a cosmetic fix, not a structural one.
You need to either sew the rip, or remove the cover and attach a patch from the back side using a contact cement.
Then, when you have the patch made, you could use that goop to fix the appearance of the seam.
Don't expect it to be invisible like they showed on the "magic of TV" though.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

You are welcome.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I have that repair kit, but mine also has a little round iron that heats and sets up the patch goop.
That won't work to fix a rip or tear in a seat, it will open right back up on you. That repair stuff is for a cosmetic fix, not a structural one.
You need to either sew the rip, or remove the cover and attach a patch from the back side using a contact cement.
Then, when you have the patch made, you could use that goop to fix the appearance of the seam.
Don't expect it to be invisible like they showed on the "magic of TV" though.
Ditto to this. I used it on my couch and it looked decent (though it was obvious where the patch was) for about 6 months. Currently, the hole is opening up again. If you have small tears, I'd suggest calling your local upholsterer and have them fix it. Some of them are mobile, but it might be worth the $75-100 you spend NOW-as opposed to the hundreds you'll spend later.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Where my small tears are, their will be no pressure on the material. So I don't see anything opening back up in the future. It's the backside of the seat. All done and GTG. Now I will be installing new carpet and headliner.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

It is strictly cosmetic. The tear was on the backside of the seat. Thanks for the input fellas

Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Upholstery guy is gonna just replace the torn piece.