Why will only one of my headlights work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you replace the whole light assembly not just the bulb

Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
you replace the whole light assembly not just the bulb
Yeah I tried telling my dad that but he didnt believe me. He said that I could buy only a bulb then replace the bulbs. I looked online but couldnt find bulbs only headlights. This Is annoying because I dont wanna spend fourty bucks a piece another wards 120 bucks total for these lights.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM

the headlights are sealed and they usually sell for around $50 dollars for each one. but if you've taken your headlights out lately for any reason just try rapping on them a few times, found out that because of how the front end is built the wiring harness to them tends to get pinched and cut the power

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 3g chevy blood
the headlights are sealed and they usually sell for around $50 dollars for each one. but if you've taken your headlights out lately for any reason just try rapping on them a few times, found out that because of how the front end is built the wiring harness to them tends to get pinched and cut the power
Can I ask what rapping on them Is.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

rapping=tapping, thumping...etc.

also, check for the ground connection on the lights. the sealed beam headlights should have a hot (positive) and a ground wire. if the ground isn't connected, you are not getting a complete electrical circuit. and then, you're not getting any light.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the "hot" (positive) will run back over to the relay, and the ground, well you'll have to search it. I'm guessing the low beams (outer two lights) paired, they share one ground, and the high beams (inside two lights) are paired on another ground. so finding those should be easy.
the wire could have corroded, or rotted off.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by bricooper78
the "hot" (positive) will run back over to the relay, and the ground, well you'll have to search it. I'm guessing the low beams (outer two lights) paired, they share one ground, and the high beams (inside two lights) are paired on another ground. so finding those should be easy.
the wire could have corroded, or rotted off.
That was confusing.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oookay

1>unplug the light.
2>look at the wires on the back side of the connector that you just unplugged from the headlight.
3>???
4>profitz!!!

no, seriously, open the hood, take out one of the headlights that isn't working, and the connector will have a couple of wires. this is where good old tracing comes in handy, just take your hand and keep track of the wire you are following, and follow it back until it stops.
if it stops in just a loose wire, you have found your problem! attach that thing to the car, your ground is broken!

I'm sorry I don't have a camaro yet, or I'd tell you where the grounds should be mounted. But I literally fixed that on one of my S10's lights tuesday lol it's a common problem on the older, sealed beam type of lights.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by bricooper78
oookay

1>unplug the light.
2>look at the wires on the back side of the connector that you just unplugged from the headlight.
3>???
4>profitz!!!

no, seriously, open the hood, take out one of the headlights that isn't working, and the connector will have a couple of wires. this is where good old tracing comes in handy, just take your hand and keep track of the wire you are following, and follow it back until it stops.
if it stops in just a loose wire, you have found your problem! attach that thing to the car, your ground is broken!

I'm sorry I don't have a camaro yet, or I'd tell you where the grounds should be mounted. But I literally fixed that on one of my S10's lights tuesday lol it's a common problem on the older, sealed beam type of lights.
Alright your saying when I open the hood am I supposed to disconnect the headlight or leave It connected. Then your saying to follow the wire that Is connected to the headlight back to see If Its loose. Well I wouldnt have to dis connect the headlight for that. Idk.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, s10 wiring is not the same as the camaro. have you tried a new sealbeam yet. heres a wiring schematic http://shbox.com/1/headlight_chevy_1995.jpg

grounds g105 and g106 are by the top of the radiator on the left and right had sides. in the top of the bar that goes across.

Last edited by craby; 08-12-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Why will only one of my headlights work.