Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear member

This will be used for occasional use probably not much but when I need to fix something I will use It so I guess It woudlnt be that bad because I would not be using It each day like a pro etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear member

I found these two links Idk If Its worth spending the money for these Instead of the evolv set. But on the 118 piece set It looks like all they did was add the same size sockets on the other side to get more pieces they look the same size left and right side.

Craftsman

Craftsman

Old 10-01-2011, 06:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car. I dont really have any tools at all because I am fifteen and my dad doesnt like me messing with his tools. I need Jack stands that are reliable because I need to change the transmission mount and then Im not sure what other tools a person needs for fixing a car maybe a socket set alen wrench etc I really dont know what are the most common used tools for fixing a car and I am looking to find cheap but reliable tools because I wont be working on the car much but that occasional time when I do I would like tools. If you know of a tool kit or Jack stands along with a Jack and all of the Jack stands and Jack have to be reliable. I am looking to spend like 75 bucks for Just the tools and I will spend what Is needed for a reliable set of Jack stands and Jack. I know that seventy five bucks Isnt much but I dont have a whole lot of money to spend. Thats why Im trying to find a tool set deal. Thanks for the help. Then.
autozone usually has a jackstand/jack combo for around $50-$80. But harbor frieght have better deals for tools and such. Picked up a nice 3-ton floor jack there for only $70 before. grabbed a good socket/wrench combo set while i was there for 15 with a set of deep wells for an additional 10. Pick up a flyer/ad for them, sign up for coupons and stuff. You can save big cash that way. And always be on the look out for when they have sales going on which is most of the time.

I have a craftsman evol set of wrenches, bought them from sears when they was on sale for 30. I found them to be just as good as the regular wrenches from craftsman. no real difference IMO.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Im thinking about getting the one hundred eighteen piece set posted above then.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Im thinking about getting the one hundred eighteen piece set posted above then.

The more pieces you get in a set, the more money you well save. Good choice.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear member

I think Its kinda crazy not that I look at It that Im buying 118 sockets why would I need that many and why would I spend seventy bucks on sockets alone now that I think about It.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
4th Gear Member

I think Its kinda crazy not that I look at It that Im buying 118 sockets why would I need that many and why would I spend seventy bucks on sockets alone now that I think about It.

serious??

you are looking at it through uneducated and inexperienced eyes.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear member

I will get them.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear member

harbor freight is scrap metal, craftsman is garbage, SK is garbage, grey pneumatic is overpriced harbor freight, Mac is ok, Matco ok, Blue Point is hit and miss... Snap On makes the BEST tool hands down. no such thing as a nice cheap tool. especially when it comes to boxes. snap on boxes are top of the line. they are expensive for a reason. 85% of my tools in my SO box are SO and i love each and every one. i paid $175 for ONE 3/8 ratchet and wouldnt hesitate to pay that for another. i have over 5k in snap on and about another grand in other stuff (that adds up if its not SO!)

i have a 3/8 matco swivel pinless universal impact socket set, 10-19mm, they are pretty good. the only thing i dont like is the size markings. i bought them for around $300...
oh, and 'ADV' matco (its like how blue point is the cheap snap on brand) is literally the same quality as harbor freight. i bought a 10-22,26,27 shallow 1/2" impact set for $77... go figure!

Last edited by MelloYello; 10-02-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MelloYello
harbor freight is scrap metal, craftsman is garbage, SK is garbage, grey pneumatic is overpriced harbor freight, Mac is ok, Matco ok, Blue Point is hit and miss... Snap On makes the BEST tool hands down. no such thing as a nice cheap tool. especially when it comes to boxes. snap on boxes are top of the line. they are expensive for a reason. 85% of my tools in my SO box are SO and i love each and every one. i paid $175 for ONE 3/8 ratchet and wouldnt hesitate to pay that for another. i have over 5k in snap on and about another grand in other stuff (that adds up if its not SO!)

i have a 3/8 matco swivel pinless universal set, they are pretty good. the only thing i dont like is the size markings. i bought them for around $300...
oh, and 'ADV' matco (its like how blue point is the cheap snap on brand) is literally the same quality as harbor freight. i bought a 10-22,26,27 shallow 1/2" impact set for $77... go figure!
There is always one. A guy asks a question about cheap starter tools and some fan boy has to bring up Snap on. LOL. He does not have enough money!

Snapon tool boxs are the biggest rip offs on the planet. Snap-on has brain washed a lot of people into believing they need a 5-7K tool box. LOL, I will agree they are one of the better boxs but they are WAY over priced. A tool box they sell for 3K costs them about $650 to make. The rest is all profit. They are marketing geniuses.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.