Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Guitar
Um, research and development, advertising, sponsorships, etc...
Any company that needs 80% margin on their manufacturing cost needs to rethink their business plan. Your dealer gets a pretty big hunk of the money. You can buy the same boxes from Snap-On industrial division without the Snap-On logo on them for 1/4 the cost. It is an artificial market created by Snap-On to profit off people who have been brain washed. ( don't ask your Local Snap-on dealer about Snap-on industrial he will most likely get pissed. Its tuff to sell something when the company you are reping is selling for way less then you are asking)

And yes I was one of the brain washed people who bought a snap on box. I now have large but cheap china made box. It keeps my tools organized and the condensation off them just like the Snap-On box did. No the draws do not open as smooth and it can not handle me standing in any of the draws but I will not over load them but it is bigger and was about 15% of the cost. Its 6 years old and I am sure I will have it when I die.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-07-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Um anyone have advice on the Jacks then.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Um anyone have advice on the Jacks then.
Of the two Craftsman stands you showed, I'd opt for the first set. I'm not too keen on the ones with the severe v-shaped tops.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The same advise I had before. All the ones you are looking at are China made so it is not really going to matter whos name is on it. There are very few Jacks and even less Jack stands made in the USA. I bought the craftsman 2 Ton Jack because they had it on sale for the same price as HF but the Craftsman came with a 2 year warranty the HF one only had 1 year. The HF stand are very hvy with Cast risers I have been using them for years.

With the jacks you want a low profile one. You should try to avoid the quick pump double piston type and they are more problematic.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear member

I bought those fleet farm ones but I think I will return them because I havent seen the brand before and I would rather use craftsman for a dollar more Instead of this company but what Is a quick pump double piston type Is that one of the selections I picked or are ya saying that there Is different stands like that.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Double piston is refering to the Jack. One thing I did do was buy the 6 ton ones. Since I do not trust the China made stuff I went over kill on them

With a good sale and a 20% off coupn I paid liek $27 for them
6 Ton Jack Stand Set

This is the type of jack you want to avoid. They call it the Rapid Pump but it is just a double piston jack. They have a very high failure rate.
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...ack-68051.html

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Any company that needs 80% margin on their manufacturing cost needs to rethink their business plan. Your dealer gets a pretty big hunk of the money. You can buy the same boxes from Snap-On industrial division without the Snap-On logo on them for 1/4 the cost. It is an artificial market created by Snap-On to profit off people who have been brain washed. ( don't ask your Local Snap-on dealer about Snap-on industrial he will most likely get pissed. Its tuff to sell something when the company you are reping is selling for way less then you are asking)

And yes I was one of the brain washed people who bought a snap on box. I now have large but cheap china made box. It keeps my tools organized and the condensation off them just like the Snap-On box did. No the draws do not open as smooth and it can not handle me standing in any of the draws but I will not over load them but it is bigger and was about 15% of the cost. Its 6 years old and I am sure I will have it when I die.
any info on how to buy these Snap-On industrial division tools?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:17 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
any info on how to buy these Snap-On industrial division tools?

Last ones I bought was in 1998. I talked to the snap on rep about me buying a box. He said the boxes had to ship to a buisness address what was an approved customer thru a PO (Purchase order). Since I was buying 3 boses for work he said he would let me pay for one for myself with a credit card but no matter had it had to ship to my work. Since I worked at a larger Japanese company at the time it was not worth the headacke.

Since most of the time I do not need roll around cabinet for work I have been buying Vidmar. They are stronger and yes they last longer then Snapon. I have seen 30 year old Vidmars with tonnage in them.

Stanley Vidmar |

Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
One thing I did do was buy the 6 ton ones. Since I do not trust the China made stuff I went over kill on them
With a good sale and a 20% off coupn I paid liek $27 for them
6 Ton Jack Stand Set
That's a 6 ton "set", which means they rate the stands at 3 ton each. The Craftsman stands, which are rated the same as these, only cost $20 for the pair.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Are ya saying that If I see the craftsman ones and they are 3 ton set Its really only 1.5 ton each I dont see the set word but Im making sure and would ya know by chance what size batteries the 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car uses for the car remote.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.