Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear member

I also noticed that the cheaper Jack stands only lift 11 to 16-7/8 in but the more expensive ones look bigger like they might be more durable and they can lift 13-7/16" to 21" Im not sure which one to get because the more expensive one lifts higher so that might be better and Idk If the small one with 16 Inch lift Is enough for taking out a drive shaft and changing a transmission mount possibly Idk If 16 Inches Is enough and I dont wanna be cheap when It comes to safety so Im thinking the more expensive ones because It will be higher In the air and Idk If 16 Inches Is really much for drive shaft coming out to check u Joints and looking at a transmission mount then.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear member

The cheap Jack stand Isnt available and has been discontinued I think so Its these to choose from I have the cheap larin ones but I dont feel safe under a brand that I havent heard before and I would rather spend the extra money for better Jack stands because I dont want to be cheap when It comes to my safety under a car. Idk how much a 1994 chevy camaro v6 3.4L car. Weighs but I would feel safer under a 3 ton Jack even If the car was 2 ton but there Is a 2 1/4 set. I am wondering which would be better a Jack stand with more of a v lift or a flat lift with edges I think the flat one would be better because the v one might tip to the side easier but then again a car weighs alot so It probably wouldnt tip but which one would be better a flat or v lift. Then.

Craftsman

- I have these ones below this text but I think I will return them because I havent heard of the brand and Idk how the pin locking style would work and I dont want to be cheap for my personal safety under a car. -

Jack Stands - 3 Ton - 1 Pair By Larin - Mills Fleet Farm

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A set of ramps would be useful when working under the car. I've never used the plastic type but I know the metal ones always make me feel safer than jack stands. You could probably find some used metal ones cheap. Might have to use some long 2x4s to get up on them without dragging the front bumper tho.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Are ya saying that If I see the craftsman ones and they are 3 ton set Its really only 1.5 ton each I dont see the set word but Im making sure and would ya know by chance what size batteries the 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L Car uses for the car remote.
No, that's not what I'm saying, you can clearly see each jack stand says 3 ton on them. I'm talking about how some jack stands are "advertised". I've seen them as a pair but weight rated individually, and as a set saying both (together) can hold 6 tons, meaning 3 tons each. That's why I said the ones you showed and others suggested to you were all rated the same. They're just described differently, and apparently, confusingly as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear member

The last part saying they are rated the same Im guessing ya are saying If It Is a 3 ton Jack stand they are 3 ton each not 1.5 ton each.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
That's a 6 ton "set", which means they rate the stands at 3 ton each. The Craftsman stands, which are rated the same as these, only cost $20 for the pair.
I see what you are saying but if you take a look at the photos these are very simular stands. The welded base looks exatly the same. "The 6 ton set" I posted can go 27" high While the craftsman 3 ton ea is limited to under 17" which matchs the HF 3 ton set. I find it hard to believe the two jack stands that close in size and weight one could be twice as stong as the other.

Before I bought the set I went to sears to look at stand they had nothing anywhere near as hvy as the set I got from HF. I trust my judgment over the sticker anyway

Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
I find it hard to believe the two jack stands that close in size and weight one could be twice as stong as the other.
What I was saying is the "6 ton set" is the same rating as an individual "3 ton each" as marked on the sticker. Set = 2, 2 x 3 tons = 6 ton set. Confusion in advertising! That other pair of $30 Craftsman stands he posted goes up to a 21" height, so if you want more than that, your HF set would be the winner, especially if they are heavier-duty as they look. But in theory, one jack stand should support the whole car, with some to spare. Might be a tad tippy though!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What I was saying is the "6 ton set" is the same rating as an individual "3 ton each" as marked on the sticker. Set = 2, 2 x 3 tons = 6 ton set. Confusion in advertising! That other pair of $30 Craftsman stands he posted goes up to a 21" height, so if you want more than that, your HF set would be the winner, especially if they are heavier-duty as they look. But in theory, one jack stand should support the whole car, with some to spare. Might be a tad tippy though!
Right now my Tahoe is on the 27" stands. I am using every inch of that 27"s. I still only have about 1/2" to get the gas tank under the frame to remove it from under the truck.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear member

A tahoe sits higher then a car so that makes It seem like to do any work on a car I would need more then 27 and the craftsman ones are only 21 I would be doing simple stuff like taking the drive shaft out to check the u Joints and also check the transmission mount would the 21 Inch craftsman be enough or will I need a more expensive one because I dont really wanna spend the money on more expensive ones If I dont have to then.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear member

I wont buy craftsman If ya think I can get better. I figured craftsman would have durable Jack stands for a decent price. I didnt want to use the larin ones I bought because I dont trust a brand that I havent heard of and I would rather pay more money to get a known brand. Is there any other brands or Jack stands that ya would reccomend. I want good Jack stands and I dont really like the v shape on the craftsman lift but It probably wouldnt matter that much really. But If ya know of a better brand or Jack stand let me know because I dont wanna buy a craftsman one because Its one of the first ones I looked up online I Just wasnt sure where else to type for a better one. But preferably a name brand one because I would feel more mentally and physically safe under a brand name. If ya know of any leave a comment. Thanks for reading paragraph. Then.

Quick Reply: Where could I get cheap but nice tool sets.