Vibration while stopped

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your firing order is fine , if it was off you have a lot bigger issue then rough idle. Rough no load miss can be very difficult to track down. A oscilloscope is the easiest way to find it.

Common issues, NOT in any order.
Dirty the IAC passage
Dirty Throttle body
EGR valve not sealing
Secondary ignition issue (plug and wires,coils)
Primary ignition (ICM)
Low fuel pressure
High fuel pressure
Leaking injector
Vacuum leaks

All can cause almost identical symptoms. I am sure I am forgetting something.

Back in the day the dealers used to charge a bunch to put the car on an engine analyzer so we would Clean as needed, test EGR, fuel pressure, Vacuum leaks, replace plugs and wires. If there was still a miss then it needed to go to the analyzer. With labor cost so high and the recent plug and wire change I would think just going the the analyzer would be the best bet.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-31-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Fuel pressures still 40psi. I guess I'll clean the throttle body. What is an EGR?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mr. Nousername
Fuel pressures still 40psi. I guess I'll clean the throttle body. What is an EGR?
EGR= Exhaust Gas Re-circulation valve. It allows exhaust into your intake while you drive under light throttle. Since the exhaust gas takes up space in your cylinder you use less gas/air. It should be closed at idle and hard throttle. If it is leaking exhaust gas at idle it will drive the closest cylinders to the EGR valve crazy. Search Youtube or cleaning and testing EGR valve.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-31-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry for no reply lately but still got the vibration.

I've done couple things recently. Sea Foamed, cleaned the throttle body, and one of my rims had a crack in it. Changed the rim out. Vibrations still there though.

Now my two front tires look pretty old and has dry rot. I put new ones on the rear about a year ago. Has like 3-5000 miles on them.

This morning I tried something out. While stopping or just parked, I moved the steering wheel around a bit and noticed the vibration eased a bit and sometimes stopped. I'm thinking it could be the old tires. Im getting some new ones either way cause I don't want to have a blow out driving 80 on an interstate.

Any other ideas would be helpful

Old 08-30-2017, 08:01 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Old tires will not cause a vibration while the car is not moving.

Most likely your steering has a little play in it and when you turn it a little you put the steering system in a neutral positing. Think of it this way. Something is vibrating and you push a stick against it. You feel the vibration. Now you stop push the stick against the vibrating item, the stick vibrates less. Doing something to the stick will not fix the vibration.

After saying that getting rid of dry rotting tires is more important then fixing a vibration.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Old tires will not cause a vibration while the car is not moving.

Most likely your steering has a little play in it and when you turn it a little you put the steering system in a neutral positing. Think of it this way. Something is vibrating and you push a stick against it. You feel the vibration. Now you stop push the stick against the vibrating item, the stick vibrates less. Doing something to the stick will not fix the vibration.

After saying that getting rid of dry rotting tires is more important then fixing a vibration.
Ok, I get you. So it wouldn't have anything to xo with the steering?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No, a vibration needs a source, which means motion. When you are sitting still nothing in the suspension is moving. It is very unlikely the any vibration is coming from a suspension that is not in motion.

If you lay your hand on the engine while it is running. Can you feel the vibration?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
No, a vibration needs a source, which means motion. When you are sitting still nothing in the suspension is moving. It is very unlikely the any vibration is coming from a suspension that is not in motion.

If you lay your hand on the engine while it is running. Can you feel the vibration?
yeah I guess I can. I can kinda see a small vibration too

Old 08-31-2017, 10:22 AM
4th Gear Member

its getting the right amount of fuel ,could be so many things one bad plug wire. trans vacume line ,if you have tryed eveything i would next bring it to someone may be simpler then you think an all this time your spending ,they may find it in 5 minutes,i would bring it to someone at this point looks like every thing else was mentioned ,how many miles on it ? tune up when was it done ,could be trans mount ,engine mount ,so many things like said ,the guys hear are good ,but again sounds like just about all was covered

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-31-2017 at 10:31 AM.