V6 Project Car (few issues)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Get your car scanned for codes and post them here.

SLP Bilstein shocks, best value/performance for a V6.

Don't put an SS hood on a V6!!! There are many other options, for example:
VFN Fiberglass - All your fiberglass parts
What's your .02 on getting the spoiler? little birdie told me I was getting it for Christmas.

Last edited by iLL95; 12-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

whens the last time the spark plugs have been changed, should at the least take them out and see if they are fouling. do the spark plug wires look ok, try opening the hood with the motor running on a real dark night or or dark place. sometimes you can see the wires sparking. may be an injector acting up, could try some injector cleaning additive in the fuel, i prefer to get it done right and have them cleaned and flow tested. like the guys are sayin have it scanned for codes, you have an obd2 system so most parts stores will scann it for free. shock quality pretty much dictates how these cars ride and handle so dont go cheap on shocks. strano is one of the best suspension guys in the country so look over what he has and if you are going to buy from him call and let him know what you have and what your going to use the car for. he will set you up.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you just bought the car and do not have a maintenance history your best bet is to replace all the normal wear/maintenance items. Plug, Plug wires, Clean the Throttle body maybe even the EGR valve, Both Fuel and air filter. Then from that point you will have a base line and you can start fresh. A lot of times just doing this stuff will fix the problems.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If your looking for body parts and plan on painting it later. Id go to a salvage yard for body parts, save a little $$$

Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

all the above is spot-on, also clean ALL ground wire connections, replace fuel filter and PCV valve, and ck wires for burns/grounds/cracking

Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

I wouldn't put on any body parts that make a V6 look like an SS, it is disingenuous. I loved the look of the SS when I still had my '95 3.4L, so I bought one, instead of trying to copy the look. Gotta have the beef along with the looks -- the V6 hasn't got it.

Originally Posted by iLL95
What's your .02 on getting the spoiler? little birdie told me I was getting it for Christmas.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I wouldn't put on any body parts that make a V6 look like an SS, it is disingenuous. I loved the look of the SS when I still had my '95 3.4L, so I bought one, instead of trying to copy the look. Gotta have the beef along with the looks -- the V6 hasn't got it.
Appreciate the input, yeah I didnt want to look like a "poser", I plan on buying an LT1 or standard LS1 next next summer, that's a little better huh?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM

alright guys, took the car to auto zone today. Had it hooked up to the computer and it is not throwing any codes. While I was there I picked up some fuel injector cleaner and filled it up with gas. The jarring for the most part has been reducted but it is still doing it. Its not near as bad as it was nor as often but its still there.
I have no idea how to clean the throttle body nor have to change the fuel filter, I cleaned the air filter today.
Im going to get a K & N filter for it this week.
I found a new front bumper for the car online for like 56.00 dollars and a hood for 78.00 at U-Pull it. Since everybody seemd to think I need to keep it looking like a v-6 i guess I will.
Going to get those parts soon, then have them painted.
But my main goal as of now is to get the car running in tip top shape before anything else.
If anybody knows how to change the fuel filter and how to clean the throttle body please let me know.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I Like to Party

Purchase some TB/Carb cleaner(Electrical cleaner too for the MAF and IAC) and spray it in the TB until "dirty" liquids stop running out

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 PM

ok and what is a MAF and IAC and a TB?

Quick Reply: V6 Project Car (few issues)