V6 Project Car (few issues)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Default V6 Project Car (few issues)

hey guys, I have a 2000 v6 and it is my new project car.
Here are the issues I need help with:
1) Whenever driving the car for a short distance and it is at a constent speed, the car starts sputtering (this may now be the correct term) as im driving with my foot on the peddle, I can watch the RPM jump while its doing this. Then I can let off the pedel and then give it gas again and it'll stop. But once again after its been at a certain speed for a little while the same thing starts up. (even does this when using the cruise control)

2) has a bad seal somewhere and is causing it to leak oil on the exhaust, which makes the car smell of oil when you park it.

3) Need to replace the shocks on it also. Would like to find some aftermarket shocks that will make it ride better and also handle better.

4) New hood. Would like to try to find a SS hood for it and it also needs a new front bumper. (if anybody knows of any sites i could obtain these parts at a reasonable price)

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
I Like to Party

Try eBay,that will be your best bet.other sites sell each one for no less than 3-400, clean out allnof your intake components and throttle body/sensors. Check your fuel pressure and a little tune up wouldn't hurt. Are you saying oil is leaking inside of the exhaust?or onto the exhaust pipe?if so check the oil pan seal

Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear member

The leak can be from a few places, most likely the intake or valve covers leaking their way down onto the exhaust crossover pipe. The shuttering could be from bad plugs, wires, opti, icm, coil, all sorts of electricals. A good tune up and some checking with a inspection mirror or your hand will help you find the trouble spots for the leak.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 PM

thanks guys!

If it was something to do with the computer causing that sputtering, wouldn't it through a 'service engine soon' light or something like that?

Is there anyway to try to check any one thing in-particular?
Really wanna get that shuttering crap fixed!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I Like to Party

Take it to your local autozone and get it scanned just in case, although it doesnt have a light it doesnt hurt to try, again I recommend testing the fuel pressure, from the sputtering, it sounds like the fuel pump could be a problem or injectors may need to get clean. There may not be the right amount of fuel being injected into 1 of the cylinders.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM

ok cool.
Ill probably have to take it to a mechanic for all that huh?

Are there any type of shocks (brand) that you would recommend me getting?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I Like to Party

Bilsteins or Strano, Stranos are good if you want more bang for your buck
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Codes will be stored if they have been thrown in the past. It's not the computer making the car sputter, the pcm will only read the signals it receives from all the sensors and make corrections and so on based on the info it's getting. If you have it scanned a code may show up, or not, but that's your best place to start looking. Check for codes, then let us know what you came up with if anything.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 PM

ok ill get it done this weekend

Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Get your car scanned for codes and post them here.

SLP Bilstein shocks, best value/performance for a V6.

Don't put an SS hood on a V6!!! There are many other options, for example:
VFN Fiberglass - All your fiberglass parts

Quick Reply: V6 Project Car (few issues)