torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Default torque arm

hi, does any 1 now what torque arm would bolt onto a 96 camaro rs with the 3.8 with the ws6 transame rear in it in it .. i am tired of it poping transmishon mounts..and some 1 told me that a torque arm would help .. any help would be great thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: torque arm

Your car already has a torque arm. You can get a stronger after market one, but that won't prevent broken transmission mounts. You should look at the engine mounts also, because if they are broken, the transmission mount is sure to follow.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 AM
4th Gear Member

I agree Pete, there is no way that his V6 is making so much power it is popping trans mounts. The motor mounts are probably gone.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:20 PM

thanks guys, yeah pete i forgot the add that i was looking for some thing other then stock ... yeah ill half to check the motor mounts and see whats up with threm.. and if they are bad what would be a good aftermarket engine mount to go with ...???

Old 05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Some genius at GM thought it would be a good idea to connect a torque arm from the rearend to the back of the trans. That takes ALL the upward lifting force from the rear and transfers it to the tail of the trans. When driving the car hard, the natural tendency is for the rearend to try and lift the trans. With enough beating on the car, the mount will finally tear. Sure you can rip a trans mount with a v-6, especially if it's a manual trans and you like dumping the clutch. Replace the trans mount with an Energy Suspension type of poly mount, those have an interlock and don't separate. Poly motor mounts are optional, but know that the poly mounts are stiffer than the stock rubber mounts and will transfer more vibrations through to the body. A poly trans mount is a must at the very least.
For extreme set-ups (which your v-6 car doesn't really need), you can install a remote torque arm mount such as this one, which takes the arm mount off the trans and connects it to the frame.
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/bmrtoarmreki.html

Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Some genius at GM thought it would be a good idea to connect a torque arm from the rearend to the back of the trans. That takes ALL the upward lifting force from the rear and transfers it to the tail of the trans. When driving the car hard, the natural tendency is for the rearend to try and lift the trans. With enough beating on the car, the mount will finally tear. Sure you can rip a trans mount with a v-6, especially if it's a manual trans and you like dumping the clutch. Replace the trans mount with an Energy Suspension type of poly mount, those have an interlock and don't separate. Poly motor mounts are optional, but know that the poly mounts are stiffer than the stock rubber mounts and will transfer more vibrations through to the body. A poly trans mount is a must at the very least.
For extreme set-ups (which your v-6 car doesn't really need), you can install a remote torque arm mount such as this one, which takes the arm mount off the trans and connects it to the frame.
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/bmrtoarmreki.html

ok thanks that is what i am looking for ... now where can i get the polly mount for the 5speed manul trans .. cause its a offset mount and i cant find any local for it ...

Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Ninja Administrator

i thought i had already posted that [>:]
freaking bad internet connection.

after replacing the mounts, if you still have troubles you may want a chassis mounted torque arm. kits are sold in conjunction with aftermarket torque arms which moves the mounting point off the rear of the tranny and onto some crossmember or something (havent done it, so i cant remember exactly where it hooks up).

i do agree with those guys though, a v6 is going to have a hard time torquing those tranny mounts apart. its usually not even an issue with v8's untill youre making more power and running drag radials or slicks. many guys dont upgrade to a crossmember torque arm until they are running a 12bolt or 9inch and can run slicks.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM
4th Gear Member

<---stock tq arm and trans mount and I run 11's with 1.5 60 foots, lifting the front wheelxs about 6 inches.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

<---stock tq arm and trans mount and I run 11's with 1.5 60 foots, lifting the front wheelxs about 6 inches.

That's badass. Got a video?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Ninja Administrator

jd, are u aware the link in ur sig has never worked because u forgot the m?

Quick Reply: torque arm