Today was a bad day

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM
4th Gear Member

yup, the owner of the vehicle that struck you is responsible for the repairs and should have insurance.

You also got to learn a valuable life lesson; insurance, just like customer service, has no value until you actually need it.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Overdrive Member

I would never see a penny from this (add 5 letter word here). She is prolly on wellfare or TANF and jobless. It is the kind of neighborhood I was driving through. If I sued her I would win this I know but I would never see any of it due to her income levels. I am just going to cut my losses here, get my car fixed and find an insurance Co. that can listen to what it's customers ask for.

Massey

P.S. I am heading out now to get the front suspension fixed so I can drive her again, pics will be on soon

Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

But, what did your insurance company tell you? With a claim, it's the coverage on the car that hit you (provided there is any), not the driver, that's liable for paying your damages.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
It gets even better when she didnt have a lisence or insurance and she was driving a borrowed car that was also not insured. OH and my insurace Co sent me some incorrect documents that I signed to remove coverage that I wanted. .

Massey
Massey is right, If these are all people below the poverty level there is little chance he would see a dime. Most likey all he would get from them is his Lawyer bill. In most cases Lawyers will not take these cases unless you pay them upfront cause they know how it will end.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Then I presume Massey's insurance doesn't include uninsured motorist coverage? It's cheap, and I don't leave home without it! Especially knowing there are a lot of uninsured idiots out there.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Overdrive Member

OK here is the wreck pictures and what I have done so far to repair her. The wheel took most of the hit and the control arm was messed up bad. I had the wheel lazer balanced and the runout was less than 1/32" so the wheel was not bent in the hit. I have a new fender and door and I even scored on a passenger side fender that did not have the lower tab broken off like mine does.

Here is the hit I got. The wheel is hitting the inner fenders. This was just a bent spindle. Check out the spindle pics below to see how bent.
Name:  DSCN0233a.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  86.8 KB

Door damage. It actually busted the inner frame too. The hit is right where the reinforcement bar is.
Name:  DSCN0234a.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB

Front Suspension all nice and bent up.
Name:  DSCN0235a.jpg
Size:  74.0 KB

Inner fender behind the front of the fender and bumper. I still need to fix this part but I will do that when I get the bumper cover and fender off.
Name:  DSCN0236a.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  46.6 KB

Spindles, My old one is the one without the bearing in it.
Name:  DSCN0237a.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  162.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0238a.jpg
Size:  147.6 KB
Name:  DSCN0239a.jpg
Size:  139.4 KB

Here is the car back on her wheels with the suspension repaired.
Name:  DSCN0240a.jpg
Size:  94.7 KB

Last edited by Massey; 05-14-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: pics messed up
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Overdrive Member

OK here is the update. My insurance Co, did a research for me to tell me what I was tryign to tell them, the owner of the car had no insurance and is low income/welfare. The driver too had no insurance or lisence. No kidding the Officer that arrested the driver told me all of that the day the car got hit. Dont you just love how they dont listen to you?

Now for the car. I have all the parts I need now, I have aligned the suspension and the car aligned just fine with no damage to my rack, or frame. My landlord was freaking out about me sanding and preping a fender in the driveway the other day so I had to find a new place to get the panels ready for the car. My friend has a garage to work in but there was a 68 Skylark in there waiting for some disk brake upgrades to happen. Yesterday we finished the Buick got it back on the road and returned it to its proper home. Now we need to do a little clean up and I will be back in business getting the parts ready to hang and the sheetmetal on my front apron fixed up. I will post some more pics when I start the work.

Massey

Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Then I presume Massey's insurance doesn't include uninsured motorist coverage? It's cheap, and I don't leave home without it! Especially knowing there are a lot of uninsured idiots out there.

I was supposed to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. I wanted to remove the PIP coverage since my family is Military we get full medical bennys and dont need PIP. I was asking the agent about how much with this and how much with that coverage and decided to drop the PIP and retain the Un/underinsured motorist. She sent me the paperwork to deny the U/UM not the PIP that I requested. Now I have the coverage I dont need and not the stuff I need. I am shopping around for new insurance as we speek.

Massey

Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Man that sucks. Here in IL, you need to provide proof of insurance before the state will renew your license plates. Only thing is, there's nothing to keep the person from canceling the insurance once they get the plate renewal. That would require a system where the left hand knows what the right hand is doing (insurance co. notifying the state). And we are talking about one being a government entity.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

In CA the insurance company is suppose to notify the dmv that you canceled and void registration, although they never do. I know because when i bought my car and was going to register nonop they said they still had my insurance on file and if i wanted to register as operational. I went with it so i dint have to pay fees later but i never drove on the road without insurance.

Quick Reply: Today was a bad day