January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Time to change my oil

ORIGINAL: Spartan66
on a side note why do you keep calling me spartart? lol
spar-tart, is that you?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
4th Gear Member

lol i guess so... where did that come from lol?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Overdrive Member

ROYAL PURPLE FTW!!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Loved this thread, very entertaining. Just to really cheer you guys up Mobil 1is around £45 ($90) in the UK and a full tank about £50 ($100). Enjoy

Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
4th Gear Member

[&:]jeeeeeeez.....

Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I know you didnt use Royal Purple this time, but I recommend you use it next change and every one after that. I use royal purple for the engine and mobil synthetics for everything else. Im not sure what filter you used, I think ACDelco?? I dont know if anyone else has mentioned these but Wix filters I think are the best there is. My dad uses the royal purple/wix combo for the '74 Camaro and the 2000 vette. So spartan there's your older 350. and 98ss4real there's your LS1. Both with the same combination. AMAZING!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: theFLoYD1964

So spartan there's your older 350. and 98ss4real there's your LS1. Both with the same combination. AMAZING!!!
huh? lolok i was thinkin about going with RP anyway. As far as the filter goes my mechanic gave it to me for free with my last tune up..

Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah thats fine. It really dont matter the filter unless you are like a stickler about that stuff. I just think that wix are the best.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: armynatguard18

He has a demonstration he showed me to prove how good it works. I wish I had video taped it. Basically he has a little machine with weights that you stick on the end of it, and that determines how much pressure gets put on a grinder type wheel that is spinning against another steel surface. The more weights you add, the harder it grinds against the steel. Turn the machine on without any oil in the little reservoir underneath the steel wheel, and it will freeze up in about 3 seconds. The whole purpose of oil is to lubricate the moving parts of the engine right?

So he used everything from Mobile 1, to the Wal-Mart Supertech brand oil. The results were astounding. Supertech took about 6-7 weights, ran for 20 seconds or so, and then froze up. Mobile 1, ifI recall correctly was the best out of what he tested, but it only took 8 or 9 weights and ran for about 30 seconds and froze up. Now it was time to use the SFR (Superior Friction Reducer)
These are really neat demonstrations that have NOTHING to do with how oil works inside an engine. In many ways, they are about as useful as the Lucas oil demo in the chain parts stores with the little gears.

The primary function of oil is to float the crankshaft. It does this by oil pressure, similar in many ways of hydraulic pressure in pumps, jacks, etc., so that the pressure keeps the metal parts from making contact.

In flat tappet cam engines, there is a metal to metal rubbing that is prevented by the oil film where the flat tappets (lifters) ride on the cam lobes, but in roller lifter engines with roller lifters, that is not nearly as critical.

The fact that engines with dino oil could go 200,000 miles or more, using 3000 to 5000 mile changes, shows how little real impact different types of oil have, as long as they are the proper viscosity and will maintain the proper oil pressure in all operating conditions. With synthetic oils, you can go even longer. The real limiting factor is the dirt in the oil and the additives.

The weights look impressive, but the pressures inside an engine are in many places many times what that demo has.

In the LS1, Chevy specified the Corvette use Mobil 1. In the Camaro owner's manual, it simply says 5W30 in most cases and 10W30 for temperatures above 10 degrees or something like that.

If you watch the sales, you can find the Mobil 1 with filter for $30 or less. Watch for the sales, buy it and let it sit in your garage. It won't go bad.

Quick Reply: Time to change my oil