Supercharger ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Isn't that what forums are for? Don't ask questions unless you want to get flamed all over.
That's not what they're for, but some do turn out that way! It should be safe to assume that since someone is asking a question, they don't already know the answer, or just plain don't know what to do. I'm not going to knock someone down for lack of knowledge, not everybody was born with a wrench in their hand, or the inclination to know what to do once it is in their hand.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Ya my first post was a joke. My second post shows some annoyance but I think I misdirected the annoyance. I have a lot of respect for Socom for the work he has done on his car but to answer that question with a straight answer like that does not do the original poster any good. I picture some high school kid going to school saying I am going to put a supercharger on my car and it will only cost 2K. Camaro69 post is what my first post should have been.
I put a blower on a friends 97 mustang and it never had any issues. Stock motor with an aftermarket plenum running 7 psi. Just gotta get a good tune. I don't see why putting a vortech running 6 psi on a stock camaro would be an issue, its the craving for more boost that blows motors

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Socom
I don't see why putting a vortech running 6 psi on a stock camaro would be an issue, its the craving for more boost that blows motors
It might be an issue, it might not be. From being here a while, I can tell you that a good majority of the 4th gens in this forum are pushing north of 100k miles. Some are held together with band-aids and rubber bands, some have had low oil pressure/worn bearing issues. Taking a well worn engine that is barely holding itself together as it is (if that's the case), and putting on a supercharger that will put more stress on the bottom end, would be a bad idea imo. That could be a recipe for premature bearing failure at the very least. What would be a worse idea though, would be to recommend that someone put on a supercharger without knowing the engine first hand. You should have had the opportunity to evaluate your friends Mustang in person beforehand, which is something we can't do online.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
^ That's all fine and dandy, but "noob's" come in here asking questions because they don't know the answer. Gorn's answer may have been a correct (safe) answer to give a grade schooler, or to someone with absolutely no car knowledge (maybe), but I doubt that's what the guy was looking for. And I usually wait to get to know people a little bit before giving them a swift kick in the nuts. Also, I'm trying to advocate diplomacy, my good intentions shouldn't be the ones in question here.
agreed and we need noobs to become long term posters and contributors.

With respect to the OP, it's the same kid who also posted about his oil pressure hovering in the red. Me thinks he'll be spending cash on something other than forced induction

Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
With respect to the OP, it's the same kid who also posted about his oil pressure hovering in the red. Me thinks he'll be spending cash on something other than forced induction
Now, if I was an insensitive guy, I would LMAO at that. But, the thought never crossed my mind. lol.....oops!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

why does everyone want to supercharge/turbo stuff.

Nitrous FTW

Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cheeks
why does everyone want to supercharge/turbo stuff.

Nitrous FTW
I agree with that 100% but only after you sure you have a heathy engine. Same goes with anything that adds HP. Let say we have 200 LT1 members. It would not be a risk to say 3 of thoes members will need a head gasket job next year. If we added 75 hp shot of No2 to all 200 members I would bet that number would jump up to 20+ that where in need of headgaskets. Does NO2 cause a failed head gasket it done right NO but it does increase cylinder pressure (as does any preformace mod) and on a tired engine that can be a problem.

People who are have trouble scraping together $500-600 to do NO2 the right way need to understand they may be one of the people who end up with a big repair bill. I guess since I was a mechainc I always see the aftermath, The guy with 120K on his motor nice new headers, intake most likely a new cam and a rod sticking out the side of the block and the White text from the track still on the window. Its his only ride to get him to work and school and he is broke cause he just spent all his money on the mods. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Socom
I put a blower on a friends 97 mustang and it never had any issues. Stock motor with an aftermarket plenum running 7 psi. Just gotta get a good tune. I don't see why putting a vortech running 6 psi on a stock camaro would be an issue, its the craving for more boost that blows motors
You dont see why adding boost to a 100K motor with the orginal crappy GM headgaskets and low oil pressure would be a problem? For the same or less money he could build a dependable 383 LT1 that could handle 400 HP for another 100K miles.

Heck you could max out what the tranny and rear could handle with boltons for 1/4 of what the Supercharger upgrade would cost.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.