stock stereo to custom, please suggest

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: stock stereo to custom, please suggest

Lol, I work at Best Buy (Geek Squad, not car audio...), but in all reality, nobody who works there is on commission, so we get nothing out of selling a more expensive product. I appologize for your bad Best Buy experiences Spartan, but everyone at my store is really helpful!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
4th Gear Member

damn... i should move to denver then or where ever you live.. they tried to sell me some pos sub by hooking it up to some high roller alpine amp that cost like 600 bucks.. I walked across the street and picked up my JBL pack for 230. I went back to best buy to use a gift card to pick up an amp wiring kit and the nerdy little asian guy laughed at me when i told him what i had and what i was looking for.. i was like wtf.. just tell me what to get and go back to your honda.. [:@]

Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I just put a new system in my car.

After selling car stereo equip for a few years and reading lots of reviews I settled on the following:

Alpine HU. I got one for $140 that also accepts a $30 iPod cable to power and control my iPod while it is in the glove box out of site.

JL 500/1 Amp: This is a mono block for my sub. They cool better than most and are 2 Ohm (maybe even 1 Ohm stable)

Kicker 10" L5; this thing hits harder than my friends 2-10" JL W3s with the same amp in her truck.

All Monster interconnects

I have not replaced my speakers yet. In my Lotus I went with Polk Momo speakers (db series) as they were inexpensive and sounded incredible!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 PM

I got two 12 inch kickers, and a 1600 watt amp. I went to a friend who hooked me up, and built me a custom box which slips right into the trunk. And i bought some pioneer speakers for the two back speakers and the two fronts r stock. Im happy wit my system it hits hard, and the music is very clear.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Lol, I work at Best Buy (Geek Squad, not car audio...), but in all reality, nobody who works there is on commission, so we get nothing out of selling a more expensive product. I appologize for your bad Best Buy experiences Spartan, but everyone at my store is really helpful!

Oh S**t son!! Store 0147 here- Cary, NC!!! Yeah my store is pretty good at helpin people too were the "million dollar store" - we make a mili on black friday alone!!

Best Buy represent! Are you a DA or what?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

I know there was a reason I liked ya 95slvrZ28, computer tech here also. But back to the thread. I am a really big fan of Infinity speakers. I had a Ford Ranger extended cab with infinity speakers all around, pioneer head unit (didn't like the head unit but it was given to me for free) and a 10 inch infinity kappa perfect dual voice coil sub, Kenwood 500watt amp. Sounded good, hit hard when I wanted it to or could hit really nice to just accent the music. All my gear is sitting in the closet right now as I don't drive that truck anymore. Think of pulling it back out when I find a camaro though.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 PM

alpine is the best all around. nothing beats the price and reliability of alpine. not super high end, not crap (like sony)

i've got a 5 channel alpine 4x60w (i think) and 1x200w. system pounds in the camaro with the open space. i have those 200w going to 2 boston g2's (spent a little more than alpine) and they want more power.

don't go out and buy a boss 2000w amp and expect clean sound. alpine, jl, boston - all i hear is good things from those companies.

speaker/sub, it doesn't really matter. pioneer, jl, alpine, boston. as long as you have quatilty clean power to a decent speaker it will sound fine.

i have a set of stealth boxes on both my drivers and passenger side. the volume of those boxes is plenty.

as far as the headunit goes alpine, pioneer, i hear panasonic has some good sounding decks too.
myself, i went with an empeg (rio car) headunit. hard drive based unit with no cd player and no internal amp (leaves room for the hard drives)

hope this helps, i'll post a picture or 2 if ya want.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had 2 jl w3s a while back in my 03 golf tdi. Honestly, i wasnt all that impressed with them. I think jl is a bit over rated. Still wicked *** ****, but theres better for the money imo.

Anyways i have this in my camaro. Some jvc deck with usb on the front,some ****ty alpine 4 channel amp on the stock speakers.10in mtx thunder tc710, with a infinity reference series 611a amp . It pounds, i get even more looks now!

Name:  subbox.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  33.3 KB
That box was a ***** to make also. I ****ing hate mdf board. [:@]

Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

As far as the subs. You have t-tops so you would need the customized them the tuck them in the side of your trunk or I have seen people take away the t top holder and put them in therewhich I would not recommend. I change all my mids(ft 6 1/2 and back 6x9)out and I get a decent sound.