Starting Problems.......Eliminate Security System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Question

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
^ Scroll up to post #11...

read post #11, both my keys are new and the ignition lock cyliner is less then a year old... where is the bcm? could the bcm be replaced?... what happens before all this started was i left the keys in the ignition with the key on cause i had to roll up the windows and locked and shut the door and came out 4 hours later and seen that the dash lights were on so i tried to start it and it clicked so it had drained the battery. so i had put a charger on it to charge the battery enough to start it up and let it run to charge it up.. then the next few days it wouldnt turn over then i turned key again and it started up. it did it again few hours later and took 3 key turns before the starter turned and started the car. woke up the next day and went to start the car and turned the key and nothing, starter wont turn and all the dash lights come on, you can here the fuel pump turn on and all lights and radio work, pulled starter out and had it tested and its fine, i had change out the ignition switch on the stearing column last year and thought it may be that so i changed that again and still nothing, i also changed the lock cylinder and keys last year so not sure if it could be that cause its less then a year old, i did see that the security light blinking on the dash when i turn the key on.. could it have did somethimg to the bcm or something else? any help please?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM

I have the same problem with my 98 z28. I have to wait about 3 minutes until the security light on the dash goes out before I can start my car. I too have radio, lights, etc...all power while the security light is on, just can't start car. Any help would be appreciated. I want to disable the security system completely to prevent this from happening.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by karenszabo
I have the same problem with my 98 z28. I have to wait about 3 minutes until the security light on the dash goes out before I can start my car. I too have radio, lights, etc...all power while the security light is on, just can't start car. Any help would be appreciated. I want to disable the security system completely to prevent this from happening.
Don't know if I can help much.........but 1st look up the post on how to bypass the VATS key system.....go to Radio Shack and buy a pack of resister for a few dollars.
Follow the write up on the resister install, that should help if you have a key - ignition problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club