Is SS and Z28 the same thing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Is SS and Z28 the same thing?

The C5 Corvette is around 200 pounds lighter than the Camaro, which is a pretty substantial amount, especially in a 1/4 mile. You can go on believing what you want about your, or any LS1 SS Camaro, but this has been discussed many times aside from this and it's been dyno as well as track proven that the SS has no performance gain over the Z28 from 98-02.

Edit: If you want more proof of the statements that you've read in this post go and search the SS/Z28 section for "SS/z28" and read the results in every thread that has "Performance" associated with it, I guarantee every one says in actual power and track tests the Z28 is as fast as the SS.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
4th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sween

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ORIGINAL: Sween

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

The LS1 SS's have the same HP as a Z28,
actually , they don't. From 98-02 The SS has the same engine as the z28 but it has different exhaust resulting in 15 extra HP and 5 pounds of torque (320hp and 340 pounds of torque). The SS also has a stiffer suspension, a functional Hood Scoop and also a more aggresive rear spoiler. I think in 00 or 01 it got another 5 hp but I don't know the details on that.

ouch.... im going start bleeding from the ears here in a bit...

sween, there is a very specific point to this thread. we are all aware of the rated hp numbers. If we were to take said numbers as fact then there would be no point to this thread, or someone would have just come in here andsaid "THE SS IS RATED HIGHER. DONT FALL FO ALL DIS JIBBA JABBAFOO!" [/Mr. T]

however there was a lengthy discussion. this means one thing: the rated hp numbers are not accepted amongst the fbody community. and for good reason. I own a base model 98 Trans am. no ram air, no fancy doodads, and I dyno'd at 331rwhp with a lid, catback, ypipe, and EGR delete. if i were to fall for the stock ratings, then my 305 advertized hp translates to 260rwhp. This means that I picked up 71rwhp from some basic boltons. That cannot be. also taking into account the fact that every ls1 fbody since 98 has dyno'd in the 290-310 range stock, i tend to believe the ratings are false.

I say all that to say this: all ls1 fbodies have 350hp factory, which is the same as the ls1 vettes, and this is because the motors are identical. the vettes have a fancy elbow exhaust which does nothing for power over the lid setup, and they have dual exhaust which, is still dinky, so it just changes the sound with an accompanying 5 hp. whoopty freakin doo.....

this can all be summed up by saying 350+15=320 [&:]

the suspension and spoiler do not affect power in any way. we have already said in this thread it was a cosmetic upgrade

sorry to come down on u so hard, but this is a topic every fbody forum gets hit with on a regular basis. Its irritating.
haha wow. a lengthy discussion? theres what one and a half pages? Someone that has 8 posts ask whats the difference if theres any between a z28 and a SS (I'm guessing he/she is a future buyer). So I answered it. Nobody else gave a straight up answer so I did. Am I one of those people that think the SS is the best type of camaro and its better than everything else? No, but I do realize that its not a huge improvement from the Z28, but its still an improvement. Can I say that the HP is more than a Z28. No cause I havn't dynoed a same year z28 and my ss . I would however take a good guess that it does because the exhuast is so much different. Also I did test drive a stock z28 before purchasing the SS and yes the SS did feel different (like it had an iddy bitty more power), and the suspension makes a big difference. Maybe I was just biased to the SS but whatever.

BTW my dad owns a 99 corvette convertable. I can guarentee you that, that has more power in there somewhere. Maybe its because its just lighter but most likely its not.

Finally I will say that I hope that the camaro fanbase is not a group of people that just thinks that there cars are the best and they claim mumbo jumbo hp ratings. The 08 dodge viper dynos 554 RWHP that could easily be rated at 620 but its rated at 600. The ford gt can easily be rated at 600 hp but its not its rated at 550. Heck the new VW GTI gets 198 to the rwhp but its rated a 200 hp. None of the followering brands fanbases however go around saying my car has 620 HP or 600hp or 220 Hp. Manufacturers do this

Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Ninja Administrator

no swee, u got that all backwards, the other cars dont have their advertised hp either..... u got so far and then..... failed. [&:]

a couple pages of discussion is lengthly as compared to the 1 post answer u think ought to be provided. dont quote *** dyno-numbers to me (ooo it felt faster ) anybody who actually works with these cars knows where they are at, and that they are for all intents and purposes identical. ur suspension does nothing other than lateral grip, and how many lateral Gs do u pull in a straight line? deny it all u want but u pretty much showed urself as an SS fanboy.

EDIT
eh, thought id just add. did a little research and it turns out the z28 does only have 305 hp. but they equipped them with a special centrifugal driveshaft which actually turns itself, which is why they dyno at or above their bhp at the wheels [&:] my bad sween, the z has 305 hp, and im over it

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM

eye cheewawa

hmm guess nobody got the point i was trying to bring across, reading my post I could see why it would be confusing. I thought I would try and sound unbiased as possible but I guess I failed. 95 slver z28 i don't need proof. I said that the ss and z28 are probly the same in hp. I am not in denial if the z28 is the quickest off the line.I never tried to say that the SS was the best ( I said that like 50 times in my post). All I did was simply state what chevrolet said. I said that the hp are probly the same but calling the car 350 hp is silly if the brand that said it says it was 320 or 305 (i gave plenty of examples).

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 PM
4th Gear Member

but what you dont understand is, that it DYNO's at what GM rated it at the crank. also, 20HP over a LT1 isnt gonna make a second faster in the 1/4

Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Ninja Administrator

its not silly man..... they regularly dyno at 300rwhp. that translates to 350. so we call it 350. the other cars u gave examples for dyno higher too. which means the ratings are false.. false is false regardless of the ammount off. the ls1 is in fact 350hp. therefore the fbodies which contain this motor are infact 350hp. I just dont get how u come to this conclusion

"ill admit that they are the same, i know that other cars dyno different than their rating as well, but well go with the ratings..."[&:][>:]

Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 PM

its silly because it makes people sound annoying. yea it might really have 350 HP but nobody cares. you get into a conversation with someone and it makes youlook likeyourtrying too hard and have something that you don't. Most cars are underrated from the factory, So most people can go and say that there car has more HP than its rating.I have a SS and I love it, but I don't try and say that its more than it is.

Oh well I give up I'll drop this conversation because its going nowhere, I still stand by what I say but I doubt ill have anything to add to this thread.

have fun in your camaros

Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 PM
4th Gear Member

no car is underrated that much, and i would like talking up a LS1, dont know bout you. only advantage to saying 305, is that you can take someone off guard

Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Overdrive Member

its silly because it makes people sound annoying. yea it might really have 350 HP but nobody cares. you get into a conversation with someone and it makes youlook likeyourtrying too hard and have something that you don't. Most cars are underrated from the factory, So most people can go and say that there car has more HP than its rating.I have a SS and I love it, but I don't try and say that its more than it is.

Oh well I give up I'll drop this conversation because its going nowhere, I still stand by what I say but I doubt ill have anything to add to this thread.

have fun in your camaros
We will thank you!

We hope you'll be back to post here later!

Tell me this, I'm not trying to goad you on or anything, so don't take it like that (internet lacks some essential vocal tones to convey emotion *sigh*), but tell me, if you went and put your car on the dyno tomorrow and it threw up 300 RWHP and your Dad's Corvette went up right after and threw down 302 RWHP, would you continue to say that your SS only has 305 crank HP because it's stock and that's what GM rated it as?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:49 PM
4th Gear Member

eye cheewawa

hmm guess nobody got the point i was trying to bring across, reading my post I could see why it would be confusing. I thought I would try and sound unbiased as possible but I guess I failed. 95 slver z28 i don't need proof. I said that the ss and z28 are probly the same in hp. I am not in denial if the z28 is the quickest off the line.I never tried to say that the SS was the best ( I said that like 50 times in my post). All I did was simply state what chevrolet said. I said that the hp are probly the same but calling the car 350 hp is silly if the brand that said it says it was 320 or 305 (i gave plenty of examples).
And that's where you went wrong, GM under-rated the cars so that the Vette owners did not get pissy. Same year Vette and same year Fbody habve the same engine (non ZO6 of course), same cam, same heads, same intake. Sure there might be a couple HP gain in the exhaust but that's it.

Quick Reply: Is SS and Z28 the same thing?