Security light on but car running sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Security light on but car running sometimes

A friend has a 2001 3.8 V6. His Security light stays on all the time. Car starts and runs fine but will die within 5-10 minutes. I would lean toward ICM if it were not for the Security light on all the time.
The puzzling part to me is that I have a key for my camaro that has no chip in it and if I try to start the car with that key the car will not even crank over. If I try it two or three times it will not start for 5 minutes even with the right key. I do not understand his car running at all with the security light on.

Any thoughts I have searched and done some reading but have not found this issue.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like a vats issue you can bypass it by splicing the proper resistor between the two wires in the orange case

Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM

X2... 18 years of working on just this. Your best bet.. Bypass. take an OHM meter, and test your key.. see what it read's. you'll get something like 1.2k or 850 or 3.2 (3200) and get that value resistor.

go under the dash, find the think orange wire. follow it back before you cut it. make sure you see two white wires coming out from this casing. if you got the right one, youll have two white wires inside this orange thick casing. cut it on the key side... not the fire wall side.. make sure you'll still connected to the block.. put the resistor in line with the white wire. one side of resistor to one white wire, and other side of resistor to the white wire. ( again, both are white.) wrap the wire, and test car. start the car, and see what it is doing. Most cases its the reading part. it gets dirty and can send a close, but not dead nuts reading. so it will **** with you like so. replacing is mucho dollars. this is about 1.00 and it works. after your sure it starts... solder connection, and tape. dont let them touch.

PM me if you need.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look at 25 26 and 27 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Craby. I actually had found that one the day after I originally posted here It would appear his car is running in fault enabled mode. He told me the next day the light had been on for a few months. I swapped his Ignition Control Module for him today since I had a spare laying around from the used engine I bought for mine. We will know in a day or two for sure

Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the security system fails while the car is running it will go into fault mode and allow the car to be started even though the proper code is not getting to the computer.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by alajoe
a friend has a 2001 3.8 v6. His security light stays on all the time. Car starts and runs fine but will die within 5-10 minutes. I would lean toward icm if it were not for the security light on all the time.
The puzzling part to me is that i have a key for my camaro that has no chip in it and if i try to start the car with that key the car will not even crank over. If i try it two or three times it will not start for 5 minutes even with the right key. I do not understand his car running at all with the security light on.

Any thoughts i have searched and done some reading but have not found this issue.
there is a orange wire under steering colum cut it ,should reviel two white wires,go to radio shack and buy a value pack of resistors. Get an oem reader and read the chip in key match that to the resistors. Soder them together and put one on each end of the white wires that will bypass security system. I had same problem on my 93.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dgsautotech
x2... 18 years of working on just this. Your best bet.. Bypass. Take an ohm meter, and test your key.. See what it read's. You'll get something like 1.2k or 850 or 3.2 (3200) and get that value resistor.

Go under the dash, find the think orange wire. Follow it back before you cut it. Make sure you see two white wires coming out from this casing. If you got the right one, youll have two white wires inside this orange thick casing. Cut it on the key side... Not the fire wall side.. Make sure you'll still connected to the block.. Put the resistor in line with the white wire. One side of resistor to one white wire, and other side of resistor to the white wire. ( again, both are white.) wrap the wire, and test car. Start the car, and see what it is doing. Most cases its the reading part. It gets dirty and can send a close, but not dead nuts reading. So it will **** with you like so. Replacing is mucho dollars. This is about 1.00 and it works. After your sure it starts... Solder connection, and tape. Dont let them touch.

Pm me if you need.
i have a 93 with same problem i watchd u tube video on this wire trick im going to try it this weekend hope it works

Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Well, I had the resistors installed in my 99 and it helped narrow the problem down to the BCM. radio shut off randomly when that would happen the windows would no go down. in order to replace bcm must have key with it or go to dealer it is a one time use part unless you want to try and trouble shoot the right resistor to install.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sometimes you can reflow the solder on the bcm. in the how to and faq sticky at the top of the 4th gen section. here it is https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...-repair-52062/

Last edited by craby; 01-27-2012 at 06:48 PM.