Body Control Module Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Default Body Control Module Repair

For those of us who own 98-02 Camaros, we all have a BCM that can cause us some issues. Here are the common failures and how to fix it with one simple step.

Windows work only when they want to.
RAP works only when it wants to.
Radio turns off at random, sometimes not comming back on at all.
When radio goes out you lose your power windows too.
RAP does not work at all.

Now these are just a few but most common issues that happen. The problem is usually the BCM and it is a relay on the BCM's board.

The BCM is located behind the glove box and it is in a plastic cradle. It has 3 plugs going into it. Remove it from under the dash and carefuly pry the case open.

Once open you should see a circuit board. Turn if over to its printed side and see if there are cracks in the solder joints of the large relay. (see image below red circle)

Even if you cant see any cracks you may still have some.

I have a 40W iron that I used to reflow the joints. I used the high wattage iron so I could get in and out fast without over heating the board up.

Reflow the joints on the 5 pins circled in black on the image below and reassemble.

Name:  BCMcopy.jpg
Views: 12640
Size:  238.0 KB

Hope this helps anyone who has been having these same issues. There may be other issues that this fix will fix. Also other failures can cause windows not to work and the radio too so if this does not fix your issues then something else is the matter.

Massey

Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so u just reheat them so they melt? stickytime?

Last edited by craby; 06-11-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Overdrive Member

I found that adding a little solder also helps in the reflowing process. It is a pretty simple repair to problems that can drive Camaro owners crazy.

Massey

Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

when you say reflow, what do you mean?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Reflow

Yes, Massey and I did this on my Camaro, and it has worked for the last six months or so,flawlessly. Reflowing them is the process of heating up the solder joints and adding a small amount of solder to repair the area affected.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 PM

You are absolutely a life saver! Just bought a 98 camaro recently with the problems of windows working only when they want to and the radio cutting off and turning back on throughout my drive... annoying as can be. I really appreciate the post!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Yep! had to do this to Tiffany. Windows didn't work when I got her. Me and Blue_Thunder01 took it out resoldered it, and while we were at it we did the Auto headlight delete thing. One cool thing we found out was that my car already has the Highbeam lowbeam mod already done! So when my highbeams are on, everything's on! Low, High, and fogs!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I've also done the "re solder" thing and it worked wonders for my radio issues. What should also be listed though is the hand/foot twister shape you'll have to get into to see what you're doing when removing the BCM.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey Admins... I know the sticky list is long, could someone add this to the How-To sticky? It seems that people need this info from time to time and that would make it much easier to find.

Thanks
Massey

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Thank you for this!!! My 97 is doing the EXACT same thing!!!!!! Gonna do this ASAP!!!!!

Quick Reply: Body Control Module Repair