Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   RANTING!!! V6 Comments! (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/ranting-v6-comments-74457/)

RSMan02 06-02-2013 11:11 AM

RANTING!!! V6 Comments!

Allow me to apologize for my frustration and complaining, but I have to blow off some hoarded anger and irritation. I've owned many F Bodies over the past 13 years. Some of them have been V8s and some have been V6s. I completely understand the horsepower differences, as well as the book values. What I don't understand is the unwritten rule in the onwer's manual of a V6 Camaro that states you must subject yourself to criticism and hate from V8 owners and wanna-be-owners! Don't get me wrong... there are many Camaro owners (V8 & V6) out there who don't discriminate. They understand how great these cars are, no matter what's under the hood. Sure... I'm not going to launch my front-end off the ground, but that's not what I'm looking for. My Camaro is unique in its own way. I don't expect another enthusiast to be persuaded by my likes and dislikes, and I respect their's. I'm not saying I'll turn down a V8 Camaro, but it just wasn't in my budget. These are my reasons for owning my V6:

1. I have always loved the RS Camaros, and I found another one.
2. My 2002 RS is 1 of 443 produced in 2002 by SLP (Very Rare).
3. My Camaro rides the same and looks the same as most V8 Camaros.
4. My fuel mileage is OUTSTANDING!
5. Can you really go wrong with a 3800II engine (performance, reliability, etc.)?
6. My insurance is very cheap!
7. My list actually does go on, but this post is already getting long.

What prompted me to post this today is a discussion and negative comment I received from an individual this morning. I was filling fuel when a guy walked up to me and said, "Nice 6-banger! You ain't foolin' anyone!" I told him, "I'm not trying to fool anyone. I like your Corolla." What a dork! He was actually driving a Toyota Corolla when he said this! I can't believe I even acknowledged his presence. Ugh! I guess I'm just tired of the idiotic V6 haters! When you pay my bills, then you may tell me what I should and shouldn't own! Thanks to all for listening!

Scooch 06-02-2013 11:30 AM

I actually enjoyed that rant. usually v6 rants are just profanity laced butt-hurt jibber jabber. regarding the Celica Owner all I can say is "Haters gonna hate". :D nothin wrong with a v6... they serve a purpose, in my opinion its a pretty big market. and the "youre not foolin anybody" comment.... i hear alot of 5th gen v6 owners that buy takeoff wheels from SS owners get that same comment. how about they arent trying to fool anybody, they actually like the wheels and the way they look on their Camaro.
I always remind myself.... You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Good thing you only have to please one person. unless youre married. (thats a whole different rant altogether) :D

RSMan02 06-02-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scooch (Post 671713)
I always remind myself.... You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Good thing you only have to please one person. unless youre married. (thats a whole different rant altogether) :D

You are definitely right about this. If I had a gorgeous SS or Z28, he probably would've told me I have a small &#*!$. As far as the other person I have to please, then yes. I am married and she calls 95% of the shots around here. I won't get into that. Have a great day and thanks for listening to my rant.

Scooch 06-02-2013 03:36 PM

man, how funny you should say that... I already have people say "whatcha got in there?" and I already know these people are clueless since it says "350" on the fenders. but then when I say "350" they say "oh thats all?". Im like seriously?? I even had a guy argue with me that they didnt put 350's in SS camaros from the factory in 69, he said all SS's were 396. god I hate stupid people. I wanted to punch him in the throat after about 5 minutes of listening to his crap. But yea, im living proof that even if you have an SS with a 350, people will still find something stupid to say.

RSMan02 06-02-2013 03:44 PM

How are things in Florida? I'll be down there sometime in September. We visit Orlando every year. Sometimes twice. My wife used to work for Disney World, so a lot of her friends are still there.

Scooch 06-02-2013 03:57 PM

Hot and Humid as usual. :D we've had alot of rain and storms lately but Im on the coast in the panhandle. Not sure how its been down in the big O. we are headed down there the end of november. my wife wants to work there but when my kid graduates college Im planning a move to the mountains of NC or TN.

Gorn 06-02-2013 05:31 PM

I have a 3800 and a SS 350. I guess I double screwed. I dont get any flak from people that know me. Most of my musle car friends drive rice burning FWDs as their daily drivers and most of my engineering friend drive German built stuff, so they don't pick on V6s. In fact anyone that picks on V6s or Small blocks I don't really want to know or care what they think.

Heck you can have a 76, I6 and if your keeping it nice the worst you would get from me is a well done. The only exception is the 82 2.5 4 cylinders, I will ridicule the 4 popper camaros and will continue until that GM attemp to copy the 4 banger mustang is gone forever. JK ;)

libertyforall1776 06-02-2013 06:19 PM

Ignore it, who cares -- V6 Camaros are fun -- more so if you improve their handling and power output!

mfmfim 06-03-2013 12:47 AM

I really need to add to this post.

My first comment will follow this quote, "My 2002 RS is 1 of 443 produced in 2002 by SLP (Very Rare)."

I'm some what confused you your statement. Is it a RS, a SPL or a V6 base?

It's to my understanding that all V6's are base camaros, all RS's are V8's with no upgrade package and all SPL's are V8 with a ultra Z ram air intakes. The SPL's are easy to spot because they have a black strip going from one side of the car to the other side of the car, and only SPL's have this paint option.

The car you have in your picture isn't a SPL.

With that aside, I have a '98 V6 and I've gotten a lot of BS for V8 owners. Just not on the race track or drag strip, but on this board also. So I know V6 owners pains. I've souped up my V6 a lot over the years with has improved the gas mileage and house power. I'm just tired of V8 owner's attitudes.

libertyforall1776 06-03-2013 12:53 AM

^ An '02 RS is an SLP add-on package to the base V6 -- I have one too. It includes 3.42 gears & Z28 muffler/tail pipes among other things, plus there are some options beyond the RS package like SS sways, etc. The RS stripe package was optional - mine has none.

There are no V8 RS 4th Gens.

Ultra Z is just a hood, but they had some other add-ons -- all aftermarket, AFAIK.

fbodyrs96 06-03-2013 03:23 AM

I love my V6 as well 1 of 905 GM RS convertible's in 96, my most common complaint is, man that V8 sounds good (its cammed, but still doesn't sound like a V8 to me only idiots I guess), then I says its a V6....... uh, why would you waste so much money a v6.....what a waste:icon_doh:

its my car, its fun, so what does it matter how I spend my money?

I heard the same crap when I had my 02 cavalier with the best motor available that year the 2.2 ecotec, should have gotten the v6, which was never even offered on the 3rd gen cavaliers....

Originally Posted by mfmfim (Post 671770)

My first comment will follow this quote, "My 2002 RS is 1 of 443 produced in 2002 by SLP (Very Rare)."

It's to my understanding that all V6's are base camaros, all RS's are V8's with no upgrade package and all SPL's are V8 with a ultra Z ram air intakes. The SPL's are easy to spot because they have a black strip going from one side of the car to the other side of the car, and only SPL's have this paint option.

there's all kinds of wrong info here.

Gorn 06-03-2013 06:18 AM

With that aside, I have a '98 V6 and I've gotten a lot of BS for V8 owners. Just not on the race track or drag strip, but on this board also. So I know V6 owners pains. I've souped up my V6 a lot over the years with has improved the gas mileage and house power. I'm just tired of V8 owner's attitudes.

This is a common misconception with the RS pacakage. The RS pacakage has always been cosmedic bases. Even on the 1st Gens. It could be ordered with any engine. Even the 96-97 version offered by GM had no real preformance enhancments. SLP took the RS in a different direction since they are a preformance based shop.

For the 4th gens V6 the SLP-RS versions is the king, next inline would be the 96-97 RS Y-87 Camaro. For GM the Y-87 code gave you the fun Z28 stuff on a V6. I can only assume the RS package was not a money maker for GM. In 98 they droped the RS name and just called it an appearance package. I assume they they allowed SLP to use the name because they did not think they could make any real money with it. Seeing how few SLP-RSs sold I guess they where right.

RSMan02 06-03-2013 07:26 AM

Yes... my car is a true SLP car. They only produced them in 2001 and 2002. The only true way to know if it is an SLP car is to open the doors and look in the door jambs. There will be decals with option codes from SLP. They're so rare that even Camaro enthusiasts like yourself don't believe they exist. If you can find one, then try to get your hands on it. Thanks for the reply. Here's a link to it's history:

https://sites.google.com/site/brangeta/slprs

RSMan02 06-03-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 671778)
This is a common misconception with the RS pacakage. The RS pacakage has always been cosmedic bases. Even on the 1st Gens. It could be ordered with any engine. Even the 96-97 version offered by GM had no real preformance enhancments. SLP took the RS in a different direction since they are a preformance based shop.

For the 4th gens V6 the SLP-RS versions is the king, next inline would be the 96-97 RS Y-87 Camaro. For GM the Y-87 code gave you the fun Z28 stuff on a V6. I can only assume the RS package was not a money maker for GM. In 98 they droped the RS name and just called it an appearance package. I assume they they allowed SLP to use the name because they did not think they could make any real money with it. Seeing how few SLP-RSs sold I guess they where right.

That's a pretty good explanation. The SLP RS Camaros are basically everything the Z28s were, minus the drivetrain (the most important part). Some, like mine, even came out of SLP with ZR1 wheels.

RSMan02 06-03-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96 (Post 671775)
I love my V6 as well 1 of 905 GM RS convertible's in 96, my most common complaint is, man that V8 sounds good (its cammed, but still doesn't sound like a V8 to me only idiots I guess), then I says its a V6....... uh, why would you waste so much money a v6.....what a waste:icon_doh:

its my car, its fun, so what does it matter how I spend my money?

I heard the same crap when I had my 02 cavalier with the best motor available that year the 2.2 ecotec, should have gotten the v6, which was never even offered on the 3rd gen cavaliers....

there's all kinds of wrong info here.

You... Sir... have a gorgeous V6 Camaro! That white is just striking with your ground effects. I'm a sucker for white and red Camaros. I would have no problem hanging extra cash into that car.

RSMan02 06-03-2013 07:40 AM

Thanks to all of you guys for reassuring me that our V6 Camaros are worth bragging about. I was in a pissed-off mood yesterday morning after that nerd made his stupid comment. After a while, it just becomes overwhelming. I live in the middle of Redneck USA. There are a lot of cool car guys and cool cars, but they all make certain they're powered by a gas-sucking V8 powerhouse. Anything less in a sports car or muscle car platform, you're gonna be ridiculed. Have a great week!

Camaro 69 06-03-2013 08:01 AM

I find it funny that comment coming from a Toyota guy, what does he have to boast about? My first 4th gen was a 3.4. Although it was no race car, that's what fit into my budget at the time, was still a cool car, and I loved it. It was a stepping stone to the next level (z28) which a number of guys may do. Some people (my wife included) might think my 69 is a stupid car. Let the dumb comments roll off your shoulder, stranger's opinions don't count anyway.

RSMan02 06-03-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 671785)
I find it funny that comment coming from a Toyota guy, what does he have to boast about? My first 4th gen was a 3.4. Although it was no race car, that's what fit into my budget at the time, was still a cool car, and I loved it. It was a stepping stone to the next level (z28) which a number of guys may do. Some people (my wife included) might think my 69 is a stupid car. Let the dumb comments roll off your shoulder, stranger's opinions don't count anyway.

I don't think your 69 with it's large powerhouse is stupid. I would love to have a vintage muscle car with a monster of an engine. I just can't afford one, or the fuel it will take to feed it. Who knows... maybe that Toyota Corolla was a sleeper. He might have had a V8 swap done. LOL!

grasshopper645 06-03-2013 09:17 AM

Tell the toss pot to jump off a cliff

fbodyrs96 06-03-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by RSMan02 (Post 671782)
You... Sir... have a gorgeous V6 Camaro! That white is just striking with your ground effects. I'm a sucker for white and red Camaros. I would have no problem hanging extra cash into that car.

Thanks man.

some more v6 info, the Y87 has nothing to do with the RS package.

Y87 Performance Package - 3800 GT

96-98
  • Auburn Limited Slip Differential (G80)
  • P235/55R16 Goodyear Eagle tires (QCB)
  • Sport Steering (14.4:1 ratio – same as V8 cars)
  • Four-wheel Disc Brakes (J65) STD on 98
  • dual outlet exhaust

99-01
  • Zexel-Torsen T-2 Limited Slip Differential (G80)
  • P235/55R16 Goodyear Eagle tires (QCB)
  • Sport Steering (14.4:1 ratio – same as V8 cars)
  • STD Four-wheel Disc Brakes (J65)
  • dual outlet exhaust

there's no info on Y87 being available for 02 cars, not even in my brochure. most 02's we fully loaded for the most part trying to use up inventory, so it is possible to have these options on the late models and not have Y87, I've seen quiet a few with them.

96-97 GM Camaro RS Package
  • Ground Effects and High-level Spoiler (Y3F)
  • P235/55R16 Goodyear Eagle (QCB)
  • 16x8 Cast Aluminum Wheels
  • Air Conditioning
  • 3 RS emblems

here's what your RPO codes must have to be a true GM RS

Thanks to Brandon Blaise Brown, owner of the Google site (4th Generation Camaro History) listed early on the SLP RS info

This is pretty ground breaking. I finally found RPO codes that SPECIFICALLY identify a 96-97 RS!

CAMARO RS
coupe/convertible/preferred equipment group
1SN/1SR/BASE MODEL
1SP/1SS/PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP 1
1SQ/1ST/PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP 2

A regular V6 Camaro coupe will only be 1SA, 1SB, or 1SC
the convertible will be 1SD, 1SE, or 1SF.

A Z28 coupe will be 1SG, 1SH, 1SJ and the convertible Z28 will be 1SK, 1SL, 1SM.

I'm so happy to have finally figured this out!

I'll eventually add this info to my site, whenever I find the time to do the darn thing. I figured you'd still be dying to know.

01-02 SLP RS SLP RS

BTW check out the 4th gen color production, my car made the list why back when it was all stock. Production Related Info - Paint Color Prod. #s

FYI, gm really just dropped the RS emblems form the Y3F RS package and renamed it the sport appearance package (Y3F), and sold more I'm sure because it was now a V8 option as well.

Gorn 06-03-2013 08:46 PM

I did not say the y87 had anything to do with the RS other then the RS Y87 was a desirable V6 combination.

Massey 06-03-2013 09:00 PM

Well I had a 99 V6 Camaro and I love it. I actually would rather drive my Sarah (the V6) over my wife's Diamond (the 2000 Z28), and here is why. Sarah was smooth and sliky in the way she accelerated and drove, her body was tigher and there was less flex in the floor or creaks in the plastic. I had more miles on my car and it still had a tigher body. Dont get me wrong the Z is fun to drive too but not as much fun to cruise in. I got 32MPG with out trying and could squeek a few more MPG out of it if I was really nice to it.

I got into a race with a late fox body Mustang GT and won. It was not a left in the dust win but I got in front and he could not keep up. His 302 made around 170-180 HP new my car did 200 HP new. Yea off the line I would be trying to keep up and it would take me more than a 1/4 mile to pass him but a freeway race I had him. We got to the end of the freeway, I had my tops off and windows down, he pulled up next to me and said "Not bad for a Z28" I laughed at him and said "It's not a Z28 it's a 3.8 V6!" His buddy in the car started laughing at him and yelled you got beat by a 6'er... ha ha you loser!

Seen the same guy at a light a few days later and asked him if he wanted to try again. He responded by saying no once was enough. and asked me if that was really a V6, I revved the engine and asked if that sounded like a V8 to him. He wanted to know how I was faster than he was, I just told him his engine was about 30 or so HP less than mine stock to stock, but he could easily take me off the line here as he has more torque. Green light and he took off... I didnt race this time, I let him have his fun!

Massey

libertyforall1776 06-03-2013 09:49 PM

No limited slip differential, smaller sways (but was an RS option) no tighter steering ratio either, and less stiff front springs. Like I said before, there are RS options, including your wheels -- up-charges...

Originally Posted by RSMan02 (Post 671781)
That's a pretty good explanation. The SLP RS Camaros are basically everything the Z28s were, minus the drivetrain (the most important part). Some, like mine, even came out of SLP with ZR1 wheels.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 07:20 AM

You guys are just plain FUN! It's amazing how much information is out there. I've been driving F-bodies for approximately 13 years and never knew half of this stuff. I actually get excited to log onto this forum to see what new information has been posted. I'm so glad I ranted on here because the V6 World really opened up with good history and options info that I never knew about.

I have a few questions for you all. I know it's a V6 Camaro, so bear with me on this. Since my car is in excellent condition with only 54,000 original miles, do you think it will be (or already is) desirable to collectors? Keep in mind that it's one 1 of 443 and 1 of 54 Sebring Silver RS SLP Camaros. I drive this Camaro several times per week and my kid sits in the back seat with toys. Should I be treating this car as a novelty, or should I just drive it like I would a daily driver? Will the rarity prove to be King, or will the V6 engine destroy its collector market value?

Camaro 69 06-04-2013 07:47 AM

Low miles car, and the last year of the breed. That does count for something as far as value. Definitely worth more than a plain jane model of the same year, or a comparably equipped model of a previous year. How much? Hard to say, since you'd need to find a buyer who's looking for one and appreciates the car for what it is.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 671926)
Low miles car, and the last year of the breed. That does count for something as far as value. Definitely worth more than a plain jane model of the same year, or a comparably equipped model of a previous year. How much? Hard to say, since you'd need to find a buyer who's looking for one and appreciates the car for what it is.

I would have to agree with you. I had a beautiful 92 RS V6 back in the day. That car was so nice, but it reached 100,000 miles and I sold it for a 98 Firebird with 10,000 miles. When I sold it, I got $4,000 for it. I thought that was a decent amount at the time. The guy I sold it to still has it in his shop. He's probably driven it no more than 1,000 miles in 12 years. I kid you not... that 92 RS is probably as nice as the day it was new. A couple of years ago, I asked to buy it back. The owner told me that because it's in pristine condition and an anniversary model, that he will not let it go for under $10,000. I was speechless! I was ready to give him $6,000 cash and thought I had it bought. I'll be he'd want more today. Whenever I look at my 02 RS, I think of this situation. I basically have the same car, but in a 4th Generation, with half the miles and even more rare with the SLP options. I'm just wondering if this other guy knows what he's doing. If so, then maybe I should be treating my 02 as a collector car. That was the thought behind my questions.

Dana 06-04-2013 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 671785)
Some people (my wife included) might think my 69 is a stupid car.

What?! I'd marry you in a heartbeat just for the car lol. You could be the meanest a$$ around but your car is the bomb :icon_clapclap::icon_worthy:

I've had a more muscle v8 and I prefer my v6. My cousin behind me is having a room added to her house and one of the men drives a 93 (I think) Honda Accord and it skips bad, smokes bad and sounds like a crotch rocket. My inlaws had a car identical to this and you couldn't even tell they were at my house. Now granted, they bought it brand new and didn't do crap to it. It was totaled 2 years later when an idiot hit rear ended them in a 55 mph while they were turning. You can hear this car 1/4 of a mile before it slows to turn. :rolleyes:

RSMan02 06-04-2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dana (Post 671934)
What?! I'd marry you in a heartbeat just for the car lol. You could be the meanest a$$ around but your car is the bomb

WOW! There you go Camaro69! It's every car guy's dream woman!

RSMan02 06-04-2013 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Massey (Post 671879)
Well I had a 99 V6 Camaro and I love it. I actually would rather drive my Sarah (the V6) over my wife's Diamond (the 2000 Z28), and here is why. Sarah was smooth and sliky in the way she accelerated and drove, her body was tigher and there was less flex in the floor or creaks in the plastic. I had more miles on my car and it still had a tigher body. Dont get me wrong the Z is fun to drive too but not as much fun to cruise in. I got 32MPG with out trying and could squeek a few more MPG out of it if I was really nice to it.

I got into a race with a late fox body Mustang GT and won. It was not a left in the dust win but I got in front and he could not keep up. His 302 made around 170-180 HP new my car did 200 HP new. Yea off the line I would be trying to keep up and it would take me more than a 1/4 mile to pass him but a freeway race I had him. We got to the end of the freeway, I had my tops off and windows down, he pulled up next to me and said "Not bad for a Z28" I laughed at him and said "It's not a Z28 it's a 3.8 V6!" His buddy in the car started laughing at him and yelled you got beat by a 6'er... ha ha you loser!

Seen the same guy at a light a few days later and asked him if he wanted to try again. He responded by saying no once was enough. and asked me if that was really a V6, I revved the engine and asked if that sounded like a V8 to him. He wanted to know how I was faster than he was, I just told him his engine was about 30 or so HP less than mine stock to stock, but he could easily take me off the line here as he has more torque. Green light and he took off... I didnt race this time, I let him have his fun!

Massey

I've heard so many stories about how a 3800 walked away from an earlier V8. I'm not a racer, so I've never done this myself. I think it's funny as hell, though. Don't get me wrong... I've always enjoyed the foxbody Mustangs. I used to have a 5.0 LX and it was a fun little car. I just find it amazing how these newer V6 cars can crank more horses than those V8s.

Camaro 69 06-04-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dana (Post 671934)
What?! I'd marry you in a heartbeat just for the car lol. You could be the meanest a$$ around but your car is the bomb :icon_clapclap::icon_worthy:

Golly thanks, I'll put that in my contingency plan! lmao.
Her only gripe is that dumb "stuff" sticking up in your field of view. Well....that and the rough ride, no air conditioning, it's obnoxiously loud, and how it hurts her neck when I "get on it". heh...heh...heh!!
Between the loud exhaust, and my "selective hearing", I usually can't hear her screams!

RSMan02 06-04-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 671938)
Between the loud exhaust, and my "selective hearing", I usually can't hear her screams!

LOL! I'm picturing this and it's hilarious!

Gorn 06-04-2013 08:45 AM

No one can predicte the future value of a car but with that being said there is nothing in the Camaro lines history that would make me believe that a rare V6 would be valuble. Yes it will be worth more then a base V6 but not by alot. People will like to look at them at shows but when it comes down value collectors do not want the 6ers. Anytime you take collectors out of the group of people that want the cars the price falls fast. Example 1975 RS I6 is worth more then a Base model I6? Not really.. Condition of the car would be a more important factor for value. In fact a Rare 75 rs I6 all orginal in great condition may have a tuff time selling because many purist would never cut into an original rare car but a base model I6 they will have no issue cutting up and building what they want.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 671941)
No one can predicte the future value of a car but with that being said there is nothing in the Camaro lines history that would make me believe that a rare V6 would be valuble. Yes it will be worth more then a base V6 but not by alot. People will like to look at them at shows but when it comes down value collectors do not want the 6ers. Anytime you take collectors out of the group of people that want the cars the price falls fast. Example 1975 RS I6 is worth more then a Base model I6? Not really.. Condition of the car would be a more inportant factor. In fact a Rare 75 rs I6 all orginal in great condition may have a tuff time selling because many purist would never cut into an orgianl rare car but a base model I6 they will have no issue cutting up and building what they want.

Sad, but probably true. Maybe there's another guy like me out there who would appreciate it a little more. I don't know. Thanks for the hard honest answer.

camaroboy68ss 06-04-2013 09:10 AM

I'd think it would take a collector who's really into slp cars to search for a slp rs. Since most people don't know about them because they are in the shadow of the ss cars.

nathanh 06-04-2013 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss (Post 671944)
I'd think it would take a collector who's really into slp cars to search for a slp rs. Since most people don't know about them because they are in the shadow of the ss cars.

This is still very true on many lines, BUT recently I've had more comments on the streets and offers on my car without my rs body kit then you would believe. I don't know if they just could see that its modded or what not. Most people now days(due to the market) don't have money to pay for even a p.o.s. Corolla. In the last month alone I've had people wanting to trade me nice clean boats and even their V8s just because its a V6 but a time bomb under the hood waiting to be stepped on. If you look back to when ,classic cars now, were just regular cars then. No one never really knew that something they spend a few hundred on or a grand on in high school and fixed her up to impress that pretty girl in school is something that they could turn around and sell and pay for their kids way threw college. Honestly all you have to say, RARE 1 IN 442 SLP RS Camaro and that still a deal breaker just hearing that only a few are made and even less are in great shape as yours. Hang on to what you have because its better if you hang on to it and it end up not being worth ****, to where if you sell it now for 10k(just shooting high) and in 10-15 years its worth 50k. So in the end, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by nathanh (Post 671953)
This is still very true on many lines, BUT recently I've had more comments on the streets and offers on my car without my rs body kit then you would believe. I don't know if they just could see that its modded or what not. Most people now days(due to the market) don't have money to pay for even a p.o.s. Corolla. In the last month alone I've had people wanting to trade me nice clean boats and even their V8s just because its a V6 but a time bomb under the hood waiting to be stepped on. If you look back to when ,classic cars now, were just regular cars then. No one never really knew that something they spend a few hundred on or a grand on in high school and fixed her up to impress that pretty girl in school is something that they could turn around and sell and pay for their kids way threw college. Honestly all you have to say, RARE 1 IN 442 SLP RS Camaro and that still a deal breaker just hearing that only a few are made and even less are in great shape as yours. Hang on to what you have because its better if you hang on to it and it end up not being worth ****, to where if you sell it now for 10k(just shooting high) and in 10-15 years its worth 50k. So in the end, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've really got no GREAT reason to sell it, so I probably will hang on to it. I doubt I could even get enough money out of it to make me feel good about selling it. Here's an interesting book value difference: Kelley Blue Book offers an RS selection on their used book search. I was shocked to see this. They value my car at $9,761 in excellent condition. NADA does not have an RS selection on their search, and they only value my car at $6,562. NADA only offers base V6 Camaro value. I understand that these two entities can widely vary on any vehicle book value, but I wonder if someone at Kelley Blue Book understands what my car is. I don't know. If someone offered me $9,700 for it, I'd probably have to sell it with hopes that I won't be kicking myself later.

nathanh 06-04-2013 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Over the next 5-8 years maybe 10 the value will drop(according to my assumption) but once you hit the 10yr mark then the value will greatly increase year by year, give or take a few years of the price drop ratio. But if I had your car id keep it... It's called Priorities!!!
Attachment 15013

camaroboy68ss 06-04-2013 12:19 PM

The 4the gens have hit the ten year mark. The 02s are 11 years old now. I remember when I bought my 98 kbb booked it at around 9k at the time since its very low optioned for a ss car.

nathanh 06-04-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss (Post 671968)
The 4the gens have hit the ten year mark. The 02s are 11 years old now. I remember when I bought my 98 kbb booked it at around 9k at the time since its very low optioned for a ss car.

If I'm right its 10-20 year range when the price drops because in peoples books,its just an old car not a classic car, but when it hits 25-30 is when people start seeing it as a classic but this is all just a theory I came up with over the years.

mfmfim 06-04-2013 01:06 PM

To set the record straight. I didn't know to the RS SPL until now for 2001 and 2002. I thought SPL packages were only offered on the V8 as a package above the SS.