Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   RANTING!!! V6 Comments! (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/ranting-v6-comments-74457/)

craby 06-04-2013 01:11 PM

in the 70s the 50s cars were cheap, in the 80s it was the 60s cars. so 90s will be cheap for a few more years.

nathanh 06-04-2013 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 671984)
in the 70s the 50s cars were cheap, in the 80s it was the 60s cars. so 90s will be cheap for a few more years.

kind of what I was thinking, So im gathering by 2015 er 2016 the value will increase on my 96 I HOPE

fbodyrs96 06-04-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mfmfim (Post 671983)
To set the record straight. I didn't know to the RS SPL until now for 2001 and 2002. I thought SPL packages were only offered on the V8 as a package above the SS.

I'm assuming you mean SLP, not spl. an SLP is who made the SS it wasn't a package above the SS, it was a appearance/performance package to the Z28 and later on there version of the RS.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mfmfim (Post 671983)
To set the record straight. I didn't know to the RS SPL until now for 2001 and 2002. I thought SPL packages were only offered on the V8 as a package above the SS.

We forgive you mfmfim! LOL! Trust me... there are thousands more out there who have no clue about these RS SLP Camaros. They're just that rare. Did you read the history link I posted for you? It's quite interesting.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 671984)

That's kinda like that story I told you about my 92 RS. I thought I got some decent money for it when I sold it 12 years ago. Now that I think about it, I got ripped off! Have you noticed how rapidly popular some of the 3rd Gen Camaros have become over the past few years? There's a guy in my hometown that has a red IROC that is fully restored (never thought I'd hear of an IROC being restored) and he has been offered nearly $20,000 for that car. Mine was just a V6 RS, but had factory ground effects and a 25th Anniversary badge on the dash. I never thought that car could bring $10,000 or better. There are people here that would give that for it, but just can't come up with the cash. Banks won't finance that kind of money on it. I now wish I still had it.

RSMan02 06-04-2013 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=libertyforall1776;671771]^ An '02 RS is an SLP add-on package to the base V6 -- I have one too.QUOTE]

I totally missed this! I'm so sorry man! You seriously have one of these cars? I have yet to meet someone who does. I'll have to check out your profile. I hope you have pics of it. I need to chat some more with you.

fbodyrs96 06-04-2013 08:44 PM

I've seen a couple of slp rs's for sale around here in the last year or so, most are trashed, or the same price as any other v6.

There harder to find, cause most car lots a and sellers list all the v6 cars as RS's. Just like the ultra rare slp firebird gt, even more so than the rs, never even seen one person.

Gorn 06-04-2013 09:16 PM

The cars we drive as daily drivers are not going to go up in value. Every morning you start it up you a wearing it out. I good full restoration can cost 25-30K so seeing a fully restored car sale for 20k is not a good thing. I have watched my 67 drop in value every year since 07 and I have put less then 1000 miles on it.

I have not seen anything that suggest base model 3rd gens are selling well. I have seen some people asking a lot of money for them but when they go through the auctions you can still buy them cheap. I have seen some realy nice 3rd gen V8 non Zs go thru so cheap I was temped to buy them to use as daily divers. The L98 350 Z28 still bring good money but even those can be had under 5K with less then 80K on them and that is the garage kept babies drive 2500 miles a year.

At auction you can buy cars like this all day long for $1500
1988 Chevrolet Camaro 171700 Sport

The cars that peak in value are the cars guys wanted in high school. When they hit 40+ year old they got money then they start looking for their dream car. They may have driven a 84 2.8 but they always wanted the 86 Iroc. Im most cases the guys are not looking for the 2.8 they had they are looking for the top of the line car they wanted. Again rare does not equal value. 69 Z28s are not rare, heck there is more number matching Z28 today then there was in 1980 but they are desireable. I have a friend who has a 1926 Pontiac, it is a very rare car because something happend to the factory that year. There are only a handful know to exist. It worth about 15K, the 69z can sell for 50K. Supply and demand. Without demand supply does not really matter.

RSMan02 06-05-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96 (Post 672042)
I've seen a couple of slp rs's for sale around here in the last year or so, most are trashed, or the same price as any other v6.

There harder to find, cause most car lots a and sellers list all the v6 cars as RS's. Just like the ultra rare slp firebird gt, even more so than the rs, never even seen one person.

I've noticed that most of the car lots around here list the base V6s as RS models, too. On Craigslist, I've also seen a lot of private sellers list them as RS. I soon become exhausted when searching for one because none of them are ever the true RS.

RSMan02 06-05-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 672043)
The cars that peak in value are the cars guys wanted in high school. When they hit 40+ year old they got money then they start looking for their dream car. They may have driven a 84 2.8 but they always wanted the 86 Iroc. Im most cases the guys are not looking for the 2.8 they had they are looking for the top of the line car they wanted. Again rare does not equal value. 69 Z28s are not rare, heck there is more number matching Z28 today then there was in 1980 but they are desireable. I have a friend who has a 1926 Pontiac, it is a very rare car because something happend to the factory that year. There are only a handful know to exist. It worth about 15K, the 69z can sell for 50K. Supply and demand. Without demand supply does not really matter.

You couldn't be more right about this! LOL! I did that exact same thing the day I decided my bank account was at a comfortable level. I wasn't at all interested in the current model cars. I wanted what I couldn't have when I was in high school. I had friends driving around IROCs, 3rd Gen RS Camaros and foxbody 5.0s. They were the best chick magnet cars at the time. I had to drive a 1977 Dodge Aspen that my dad bought from an old guy he knew. I had fun with that car (we called it Butterscotch Thunder), but I only dreamed of having a 3rd Gen Camaro or a foxbody Mustang 5.0. As soon as I got the opportunity, I set out to own these cars. I didn't buy the top-of-the-line because I was still on a budget. I just found it hilarious that you mentioned that.

Maybe some kid that was in high school in the early 2000s will want to pay good money for my RS some day. You're probably right, though. He'll want the SS or Z28 of that era. I guess I'm just doomed when it comes to value on my RS. I'm just one of those guys that hates to see these rare cars fade away. I want to make sure everyone knows their history and importance to the Camaro line. I'll continue to do my part and try to keep mine as pristine as possible. Who knows? Maybe GM will call me someday and want to pay me $1,000,000 for my RS, so they can put it in a museum.:icon_call: HIGH HOPES!

Massey 06-05-2013 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by RSMan02 (Post 672072)
Maybe GM will call me someday and want to pay me $1,000,000 for my RS, so they can put it in a museum.:icon_call: HIGH HOPES!

I had something like that happen with my 66 Mustang GT. We need to go back to 1994 when the first retro Mustangs came out, I had my newly restored 66 GT and it was getting to be winter, I lived in a small town that didnt have a snow plow but it did have a Ford dealer. I heard that they just got their first new pony in and I went to see it, and I drove my GT. I had just about the entire sales staff out looking at my car and the sales manager wanted to talk to me after they all looked at the car for a while. I went into his office and he asked me if they could "borrow" my car for a while. Apparently the Owner of the dealership wanted to display the new with the first gen on the showroom. I didnt like driving the car in the ice and snow so I said they could "borrow" the car until spring if they were willing to detail it and give it an oil change. As it turned out my car got to stay inside all winter, I got a really nice detail including a buff job and when I looked in the glove box was a thank you card with $100 and a book for free servicing for the next 5 years.

Massey

RSMan02 06-06-2013 10:50 AM

That was a pretty cool deal. Free servicing for the next 5 years can really add up. I would've done the same thing. Your 66 must have been very nice. I remember when the 94 Mustangs were introduced. They were a completely different direction, but I fell in love with the styling. In 93, I really didn't know what to think of the Camaros. I really enjoyed the 3rd Gens and they threw me for a loop. As time went on, they really grew on me. I know this is a Camaro forum, but I'm a true muscle car lover. I wouldn't turn any of them down. The cars I really fell in love with were the 4th Gen Trans Ams. Especially the 98s to 02s when they mounted those awesome hoods on 'em. Wow! I really veered off track on this post.

Massey 06-07-2013 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I started with

Attachment 14992

This is about 9 months later

Attachment 14993

The car pretty much looked like the bottom pic when it stayed at the dealership. It was actually the following winter.

Massey