RANTING!!! V6 Comments!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RANTING!!! V6 Comments!

Allow me to apologize for my frustration and complaining, but I have to blow off some hoarded anger and irritation. I've owned many F Bodies over the past 13 years. Some of them have been V8s and some have been V6s. I completely understand the horsepower differences, as well as the book values. What I don't understand is the unwritten rule in the onwer's manual of a V6 Camaro that states you must subject yourself to criticism and hate from V8 owners and wanna-be-owners! Don't get me wrong... there are many Camaro owners (V8 & V6) out there who don't discriminate. They understand how great these cars are, no matter what's under the hood. Sure... I'm not going to launch my front-end off the ground, but that's not what I'm looking for. My Camaro is unique in its own way. I don't expect another enthusiast to be persuaded by my likes and dislikes, and I respect their's. I'm not saying I'll turn down a V8 Camaro, but it just wasn't in my budget. These are my reasons for owning my V6:

1. I have always loved the RS Camaros, and I found another one.
2. My 2002 RS is 1 of 443 produced in 2002 by SLP (Very Rare).
3. My Camaro rides the same and looks the same as most V8 Camaros.
4. My fuel mileage is OUTSTANDING!
5. Can you really go wrong with a 3800II engine (performance, reliability, etc.)?
6. My insurance is very cheap!
7. My list actually does go on, but this post is already getting long.

What prompted me to post this today is a discussion and negative comment I received from an individual this morning. I was filling fuel when a guy walked up to me and said, "Nice 6-banger! You ain't foolin' anyone!" I told him, "I'm not trying to fool anyone. I like your Corolla." What a dork! He was actually driving a Toyota Corolla when he said this! I can't believe I even acknowledged his presence. Ugh! I guess I'm just tired of the idiotic V6 haters! When you pay my bills, then you may tell me what I should and shouldn't own! Thanks to all for listening!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

I actually enjoyed that rant. usually v6 rants are just profanity laced butt-hurt jibber jabber. regarding the Celica Owner all I can say is "Haters gonna hate". nothin wrong with a v6... they serve a purpose, in my opinion its a pretty big market. and the "youre not foolin anybody" comment.... i hear alot of 5th gen v6 owners that buy takeoff wheels from SS owners get that same comment. how about they arent trying to fool anybody, they actually like the wheels and the way they look on their Camaro.
I always remind myself.... You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Good thing you only have to please one person. unless youre married. (thats a whole different rant altogether)

Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Scooch
I always remind myself.... You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Good thing you only have to please one person. unless youre married. (thats a whole different rant altogether)

You are definitely right about this. If I had a gorgeous SS or Z28, he probably would've told me I have a small &#*!$. As far as the other person I have to please, then yes. I am married and she calls 95% of the shots around here. I won't get into that. Have a great day and thanks for listening to my rant.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

man, how funny you should say that... I already have people say "whatcha got in there?" and I already know these people are clueless since it says "350" on the fenders. but then when I say "350" they say "oh thats all?". Im like seriously?? I even had a guy argue with me that they didnt put 350's in SS camaros from the factory in 69, he said all SS's were 396. god I hate stupid people. I wanted to punch him in the throat after about 5 minutes of listening to his crap. But yea, im living proof that even if you have an SS with a 350, people will still find something stupid to say.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How are things in Florida? I'll be down there sometime in September. We visit Orlando every year. Sometimes twice. My wife used to work for Disney World, so a lot of her friends are still there.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Hot and Humid as usual. we've had alot of rain and storms lately but Im on the coast in the panhandle. Not sure how its been down in the big O. we are headed down there the end of november. my wife wants to work there but when my kid graduates college Im planning a move to the mountains of NC or TN.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have a 3800 and a SS 350. I guess I double screwed. I dont get any flak from people that know me. Most of my musle car friends drive rice burning FWDs as their daily drivers and most of my engineering friend drive German built stuff, so they don't pick on V6s. In fact anyone that picks on V6s or Small blocks I don't really want to know or care what they think.

Heck you can have a 76, I6 and if your keeping it nice the worst you would get from me is a well done. The only exception is the 82 2.5 4 cylinders, I will ridicule the 4 popper camaros and will continue until that GM attemp to copy the 4 banger mustang is gone forever. JK

Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Ignore it, who cares -- V6 Camaros are fun -- more so if you improve their handling and power output!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I really need to add to this post.

My first comment will follow this quote, "My 2002 RS is 1 of 443 produced in 2002 by SLP (Very Rare)."

I'm some what confused you your statement. Is it a RS, a SPL or a V6 base?

It's to my understanding that all V6's are base camaros, all RS's are V8's with no upgrade package and all SPL's are V8 with a ultra Z ram air intakes. The SPL's are easy to spot because they have a black strip going from one side of the car to the other side of the car, and only SPL's have this paint option.

The car you have in your picture isn't a SPL.

With that aside, I have a '98 V6 and I've gotten a lot of BS for V8 owners. Just not on the race track or drag strip, but on this board also. So I know V6 owners pains. I've souped up my V6 a lot over the years with has improved the gas mileage and house power. I'm just tired of V8 owner's attitudes.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Overdrive Member

^ An '02 RS is an SLP add-on package to the base V6 -- I have one too. It includes 3.42 gears & Z28 muffler/tail pipes among other things, plus there are some options beyond the RS package like SS sways, etc. The RS stripe package was optional - mine has none.

There are no V8 RS 4th Gens.

Ultra Z is just a hood, but they had some other add-ons -- all aftermarket, AFAIK.

Quick Reply: RANTING!!! V6 Comments!