R.i.p

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
needs a little tlc but if the price is right
http://greenville.craigslist.org/bar/2129102233.html
im gunna call the guy tomorrow

i also found an 85 that was a complete LT1 swap including the 6 speed and the Z rear for 1200 needs a new motor and i found a 97 LT1 engine trans and wiring with 86k for 800
If you get it take off that body kit. Should be able to get it cheap since the person doesn't seem to know much about the car

Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Overdrive Member

That Corvette is going to be a handful. And I am not talking about its power. Being converted to carb... the bodywork is more than minor (trust me here I have fixed many Corvettes). If you can get it for a good price great jump on it. I would defidently try to get the TPI unit and convert the car back to the engine it was supposed to use.

Massey

Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
needs a little tlc but if the price is right
http://greenville.craigslist.org/bar/2129102233.html
im gunna call the guy tomorrow

i also found an 85 that was a complete LT1 swap including the 6 speed and the Z rear for 1200 needs a new motor and i found a 97 LT1 engine trans and wiring with 86k for 800
that poor Corvette wow, looks like rice for sure, and taking a chance with that, im guessing the owner raced it at every corner.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1.) I would leave it carbureted, as long as it's working fine. Who knows why the FI was ripped out of it, but the setup must have either been having problems or the owner just wanted to go old school with the engine. There's nothing wrong with a properly working carb setup. Going back to the original TPI could very possibly be a can o worms depending on what, if anything, related to it was retained.
2.) The bodywork that Vette needs is cosmetic, and it is minor. Trust me, I've restored a number of Vettes. Fiberglass is easy to work with, and is more forgiving than metal. All those rear body panels glue on, and it wouldn't be hard to find a replacement if fixing the cracked piece is beyond your capabilities.
3.) The body kit isn't rice, it's a popular Greenwood ground effects package (with a rear wing). See it in person, you may like the way it sets the car apart from other stock ones.
If you do go see it, lift the front nose and take a look at the easy step-in engine accessibility it has. Then try to tell yourself you'd rather work on a newer Camaro instead. The go-kart handling these cars have could be the clincher for you. Even though it's older, the suspension/drivetrain type, and it's handling, is light years ahead of even what the 4th gen Camaro had. Drive one, and you'll understand that there is no comparison. Has the guy put a selling dollar value on it, not just a trade? Buying that car wouldn't scare me in the least.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Get an insurance quote before you even go to see it. Back when I was 23 the dealership I was working for took a 68 vett in on trade. The owner saw me checking it out (I was part of his race team) he offered to trade me even up for my 74 350 4sp. The car was from an estate and had not been started in years so it was going to need fuel lines, tank clean, brake system rebuild. It was all mostly labor.

Problem was that even with just liability it was assigned insurance meaning I was going to get the same rate as a drunk driver got. $2600 per year in 1988. Heck that was a car payment. My Camaro was $250ish/year. That was with my dad working for the insurance company. Over 25 with kids is a whole different story.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya the guy didnt want to sell the car only trade

Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

so i just found out that my car has full coverage... awesome... well not really i technically dont own my car so im not getting a cent of the insurance money now im screwed

Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Overdrive Member

you can fight the insurance for more than just the payoff of the car, you can even buy thecar back from insurance for about 7-10% of the payout price. Remember you dont have to settle for the first offer they give you. The insurance will try to give you as little as they have to, but they need to also give you fair market value for your car, so look at what is for sale in your area and compare that price with the offer the insurance is telling you.

Massey

Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well according to NADA my car is worth 4750 and i still owe about 3500 on the car so anything over 3500 is mine but ill check that out im sure i can find something to get more money out of the car

Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh and you will get any amount over the payoff of the car if you can settle for more than the payoff amount.

Massey