Project L36 Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Gee, I sure hope your new automatic trans can take it!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Got my intake for NA purposes figured out, going to run a 4" flex tube from the TB to the stock box with a k&n filter in it. The stock outlet of the box is about 3", I'll be cutting that out to accommodate the 4" tubing, and cutting the inlet for some more air.

Also going to take my junk m90 case to the shop tomorrow to have them make a few cuts for me, pretty sure I've got it figured out now in regards to making it fit.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

this is by far my favorite post! good luck trying to cram a M90 in that car there buddy. you are going to need it. but if anyone can do it im sure it could be you. i wish the FFF headers were cheaper. im gonna try to create some mock ups of my own.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I ditched the m90, WAY too much work and money for a whole lot of nothing. I can't figure out how to fit an intercooler under it, that's really the only way you can make those things work well. Sure there's meth injection, but that's not the best fix really.

So I ditched the AC, room for something in here, nice big hole now. Did the AC delete without a bracket, just a belt change and shortened the bolt for the crank sensor cover. Got most of the front end on the camaro off right now, crash bar is off for good, foglights are gone, 1LE grilles installed, still working on my temp. intake fix. The plan is to use a paxton supercharger right now, and a zzp harmonic balancer with 8-ribs on the outer run.

But part of me wants to give up and put my 383 in it with a big *** cam and a holley double pumper, front mount msd distributor, bleh. Figure 450-500 horse if I do it. BMR sells the k-member for the early sbc's, and I've got access to a nice th400 (though I'd prefer a 350, less power loss). Fab 9" rear and 456's, zoom zoom.

Got slicks for the back of it right now, they're off the stang, too small for it (well used 26x10's, hoosier, harder compound). The slicks should be better for the stick shift, we'll see. They're shorter than my dr's by a little, so it will have better gearing. Raised my rev limiter from 6500 to 6800 too. Stock PCM and ignition system can't go past 7000 I believe. Going to keep my radial skinnies on the front, they're pretty cheesy tires and are rather soft, so they shouldn't fight the bias ply slicks that much. If they do then they'll go away.

Also sold my DR's. Parts to order are a jegster tunnel mount adj. torque arm, jegster ds loop (need it with slicks). I got some boxed LCA's with poly bushings in them that are going in this weekend hopefully. Front sway bar will be coming off. Later on I'll buy some competition engineering 3-way adj. rear shocks and some gr2's for the front, and ditch the strano bilsteins. Need drag shocks. But I've got a date with some auto-x cones first at Packwood in the spring (yes, I'll put my sway bar back on, lol)

Carpet will be coming out to install bracing on the tunnel for the torque arm mount, and I'm stewing on an 8-point cage not for NHRA, but for salt flats and chassis stiffening, possibly to make a pair of kirkey pro drag seats have something to mount to on the back. The cage is in the air though, I don't really want the added weight.

Some pictures, wheels are my new $30 15"ers to test my slick idea, didn't want to drop the coin on some welds just yet. Getting ready to smash my way into the 13's NA, track opens next month.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM
VIP member

Musicman my boyyyyyyyyy Awesome build bro!!! One sick car

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Racing season is nearing, less than a month until the track opens. Camaro comes out the first week of march at the latest.

Few things, wanted to try slicks with the stick shift. So since we're buying new slicks/tubes for the stang, I'm putting the old ones to good use. Just to test the theory. If it works, I'll be getting some jegs weld-knockoffs front and back in chrome. Tires would be DOT slicks, 15x10. For now though, I got some $30 wheels (b/s for a third gen), and threw the tires on them. They don't really fit, but it'll be enough to try things out.

Ordered something that all you T5 guys need, a body mounted torque arm. Getting the arm off the transmission will save the internals, and make shifting easier. I went with a Spohn mild steel adjustable one with an NHRA approved loop (required with slicks). Looks great, the quality is excellent. Planning in sticking it in this weekend, and setting the pinion angle to -1*.

Also, since my AC is gone, I pulled a fwd 3800 oil filter neck out of my parts pile, and cleaned it up. Filter will point down now, also going to run a 4.3 s10 filter (longer, same mount size). Going to send it out to have the inside ported, and the bypass valve plugged up.

So all that aside, some pictures. And wow, these back wheels sure stick out, lol. Oh well, just temp thing after all.

Name:  0215001307.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  0215001307a.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0194.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  104.6 KB
Name:  DSCN0193.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  88.7 KB

Oh, and I ditched the fog lights and impact bar, so I installed some 1LE grilles. Though this is temporary, that'll all get cut out in the summer for an intercooler grin. Also finished my temp intake. Spectre flex tube, K&N filter, modified the stock box a lot to breath right. I like it for the price, little ugly, but it works very well. Much better than my old egay CAI. Since my AC is gone, I leaned the radiator forward and inch to give the tube some more room, it's 4" in diameter (outside). IAT sensor is now located in the filter box, and wires were extended.

Name:  DSCN0195.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  113.6 KB
Name:  DSCN0191.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  107.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0190.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  125.5 KB

Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats the tourque bar setup i wanta get. let us know how it goes in. less than a month till go time already.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Will do, though I don't expect any issues. It's got great reviews. Know a few people personally who run it, they love it.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the slicks look like they might rub. lol. u gotta get some different rims man. i thought the intake hose was dryer hose when if first looked at it. is the rearend gona hold up?

Quick Reply: Project L36 Sleeper