Project: Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Project: Camaro

engine swaps are a big deal. i usually wouldnt suggest one on a late model car unless u already know exactly what u want and can pay for it, have a nearly complete powertrain already sitting around and have fabrications skills, or the motor can bolt right in.

I personally think u should buy an LT1 z28 and start doing boltons. ull find out quick how fast this all adds up. once u have a little money saved up u can decide if u want to go stroker (make sure u have full boltons first anyway) or just want to do a head/cam thing. call up a shop and see what components they think will work well together.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah of course im gonna do bolt ons first and see where all of that takes me....

I do have one question about my v6 3.4 liter it wastes soooo much gas its not even funny, I dont even know why... ive changed the fuel filter, oil and stuff... i havent changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, or injectors... any idea other then those 3 things that it needs?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Ninja Administrator

a lighter foot controlling it?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

a lighter foot controlling it?
Haa very funny... no i was actually not driving it hard or anything i had it at low rpms the whole time basically

Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Ninja Administrator

be real sure about ur driving style. if u tend to speed on the highway alot (~80) ur just going to get crappy mileage. my elantra even gets crappy around there [&:]

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

be real sure about ur driving style. if u tend to speed on the highway alot (~80) ur just going to get crappy mileage. my elantra even gets crappy around there [&:]
I went from my house to work and back which is 40 miles going 65-70 tops on the freeway and most of the time it was traffic jam so most of my driving was at a max speed of 30 mph on the freeway

Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Overdrive Member

I would check the plugs, if you have one that isn't firing correctly it can make your milage horrible.

As far as 600-700 HP out of the car, that's going to take some major work unless you're planning on doing a forced induction build. I wouldn't suggest getting a crate motor, not only because the swap isn't going to be quick and easy (as Specter brought up), but those crate motors are decievingly powerful. They run them on an engine dyno under perfect conditions with dyno headers so they can get the best possible numbers out of them and market them as such. When you get that motor running all the peripherals and through a real exhaust system it's not going to make that kind of power, and especially not to the wheels.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

I would check the plugs, if you have one that isn't firing correctly it can make your milage horrible.

As far as 600-700 HP out of the car, that's going to take some major work unless you're planning on doing a forced induction build. I wouldn't suggest getting a crate motor, not only because the swap isn't going to be quick and easy (as Specter brought up), but those crate motors are decievingly powerful. They run them on an engine dyno under perfect conditions with dyno headers so they can get the best possible numbers out of them and market them as such. When you get that motor running all the peripherals and through a real exhaust system it's not going to make that kind of power, and especially not to the wheels.
interesting point.. I havent thought of that at all, I look at it differently now, I think ill take everybodys advice and do the bolt ons such as headers, intake, exhaust and then maybe throw in a cam, heads and bigger injectors and such... with all that I should be around 450-475 horsepowerif done correctly, right?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Overdrive Member

You'll probably have to stroke it to get to the 450 RWHP mark. If you mean 450 crank HP you can get around there with a 350. There's a local shop around me that knows what they're doing, they work specifically with late model chevy motors and with their stage 3 LT1 kit you typically net about 400 RWHP with bolt ons, new injectors, 58mm TB and a dyno tune. Now, I'm not sure if that HP is corrected for altitude since I live in Denver, I'm assuming it is, but if it's not then you should be able to hit 450 if you're at sea level. I need to call and talk to Pete (the owner of the shop) to find out all the details, but that's why I'm planning on this summer!

Needless to say you can get around 380-400 RWHP with bolt-ons and a new top end, you can go and see 95Z281LE's numbers in the LT1 section, he lists his mods too.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

You'll probably have to stroke it to get to the 450 RWHP mark. If you mean 450 crank HP you can get around there with a 350. There's a local shop around me that knows what they're doing, they work specifically with late model chevy motors and with their stage 3 LT1 kit you typically net about 400 RWHP with bolt ons, new injectors, 58mm TB and a dyno tune. Now, I'm not sure if that HP is corrected for altitude since I live in Denver, I'm assuming it is, but if it's not then you should be able to hit 450 if you're at sea level. I need to call and talk to Pete (the owner of the shop) to find out all the details, but that's why I'm planning on this summer!

Needless to say you can get around 380-400 RWHP with bolt-ons and a new top end, you can go and see 95Z281LE's numbers in the LT1 section, he lists his mods too.
What would that be in the quarter mile department? like timewise?

Quick Reply: Project: Camaro