Please Help! Problem with replacing rear hatch speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Default Please Help! Problem with replacing rear hatch speakers!

When I bought my 2002 3.8L 35th anniversary t-top Camaro with Monsoon system, I did so knowing that I would have to replace the hatch area speakers (not the ones in the front door and not the ones in the very back, the ones in the middle) as both were blown. So after doing a bit of research online, it seemed conclusive that they are 4" 4-ohm speakers. Take this from http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo...nsoon-faq.html, for example:

"Camaro coupes have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors (they look like ordinary coax speakers but are actually wired as separate components), single voice coil 6.5S 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, and 4" 4-ohm full-range speakers in the hatch area. All eight elements are powered by the amp."

So before receiving the car, I went ahead and ordered a pair of Boston Acoustics S45s on Amazon for around $44. Well, after getting the car and receiving the speakers in the mail, I eagerly popped off the little plastic grill to get to work with replacing the blown speakers. This is when I discovered that these are clearly not 4" speakers, by my measurement, they were closer to 5.25" speakers. So now I am confused and have an extra set of speakers that I can't use. Why are my speakers different? They look like an ordinary stock set.

Can anyone confirm for me that these are in-fact 5.25" speakers and what impedance they have before I end up with another set of useless speakers? I would love to make sure with someone more knowledgeable than me before I place another order online.

Thanks for your time and help! It is much appreciated!

P.S. It also appears that I am going to have to cut off the stock connector at the end of the speaker wires to get them onto whatever set of after-markets I buy, how do I know which is the positive and which is the negative?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Sorry for the double post, but is anyone can confirm the size and impedance, what do you think of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...5301732&sr=8-4

Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

simple fix is make a template adaptor out of some hard fiberboard and adapt your 4's to for the 5.25" location. are you going to split the wiring as the factory had done? I don't think I'd sweat the ohm difference really although the 4ohm BA's won't be as loud.efficient as the 2 ohm midrange is that you are removing. Dark green and tan I believe are your two positives or it may be dk blu and brown, I get front and rear mixed up now. Or just grab a little AA battery and apply power to the removed speaker (I'd cut off the OEM plug, but up to you if you may go back Monsoon one day etc) If you have polarity correct, the speaker cone will push out from the magnet.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Thank you for your quick, clear response.

Do you think I would be better picking up those 5.25" Boston Acoustics SC55 and putting them where the stock ones went, even though they have an impedance of 4 ohms? Or should I just give the Chevy dealer a call and order a set of replacements? My reason for asking is because after a little online shopping, it seems that any decent 2 ohm 5.25 speakers are almost impossible to come by; they all seem to be 4 ohm. Which would sound better in your opinion, the BAs at 4 ohm or the stock at 2 ohm?

BTW, does anyone know why these speakers in my Camaro are different than all the rest I've read about (with regard that mine are 5.25" and the general online consensus typically has them pegged as 4")?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you wanting to keep it Monsoon/OEM long term, albeit 9 year old technology? If so, I''d ebay or salvage part the stock replacements. I found an entire system for my Camaro for $60 on one of the forums, so I have spares of everything but when it's time I'll do a whole system in one shot. Makes for a simpler matched set up. Can't answer your question on the size discrepancy, I thought it was a 5.25 there normally with Monsoon, but suppliers and specs do change w/o notice sometimes.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I really think that your source above is wrong. I have not heard of any factory stereo mixing ohms in a stock stereo config. I would do a little more research, you can check crutchfield.com and even call them to check on that. As far as the plug on the stock wiring, if you're not going to use the old speakers, cut the terminal off that and use it on your new speakers so you're not cutting the factory wiring.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

agree with arrow. at the crutchfield site you can put your car info in and it will tell you what speakers will fit. i have not had a speaker not fit from them or there recommendation.