Parking Brake Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Default Parking Brake Squeek

I noticed a squeak a few days ago whenever I started to move Layla. It didn't happen at intersections just whenever I started the car after she was on a hill and parked. It is definitely the fault of the parking brake however the lever is completely disengaged whenever I move her and it must be a tensioner problem. The brakes are new, all four of them, and before I start taking things off I would like to know where the more advanced mechanics would start looking.

If necessary I can take pictures, record audio, etc. I do smell a distinct burnt rubber after I move the car and have had problems having the car leave in a little bit of snow. Please ask questions I will happily do my best to have them answered.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Overdrive Member

I would start looking at the parking brake shoes themselves. If you have rear disks your parking brake is inside the rotor and there are a pair of old skool looking shoes in there. Make sure all the mech is good and there is no debris or broken springs inside.

If you have drums again take the drum off and check everything over again to make sure.

Massey

Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by madhatter98
I noticed a squeak a few days ago whenever I started to move Layla.
I presume you're talking about your car?
Do you use the parking brake on a regular basis? Parking brakes that are used infrequently can have a tendency of developing a rusty cable that becomes difficult to slide. A full release of the brakes won't happen if the cable hangs up.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I presume you're talking about your car?
Do you use the parking brake on a regular basis? Parking brakes that are used infrequently can have a tendency of developing a rusty cable that becomes difficult to slide. A full release of the brakes won't happen if the cable hangs up.
I can't vouch for previous owners, I just got the car though and I live on a hill and have to use the parking brake. I don't think it was used frequently prior to me though. It looks like a "garage" car. I don't believe the full release is happening, when I take it off while on a hill I don't really slide or slide as much as I would expect it to. What cable is this and how do I approach it?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can access the cable from under the car. There is one cable going from you e-brake handle to about the middle of the car. Then it branches off into two cables and one goes to each rear wheel. It's like a bicycle brake system. simple cables. Check under there to see if anything is hung up.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
You can access the cable from under the car. There is one cable going from you e-brake handle to about the middle of the car. Then it branches off into two cables and one goes to each rear wheel. It's like a bicycle brake system. simple cables. Check under there to see if anything is hung up.
Ok, I will not be able to get under there today. I will post my findings tomorrow on if I saw and fixed it or if it is ongoing. Thanks