Ok so here is my first project car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

well like i said my girlfriends uncle hooked up the test valve to a gauge, and in the on position the car only read 20 PSI and quickly dropped to 0. when started the car hit 35 psi and stayed there nicely. We read the camaros should hit 40 psi in on position. not sure if thats quite right but sounds about like it. ALso, he took off i think the vacuum hose, closed it off or something and it sounded a lot better, and the psi went back up. Wasn't exactly sure what he did, but he said hes 99% sure its a regulator.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

says its for a 94 3.4 so im gona say yes but i dont know for sure, i dont show a rebuild kit for it in my book. its sayin you gotta replace the whole thing. sure sounds like a fpr is the problem.

Originally Posted by tjsmar
Today my girlfriends Uncle came by the shop while we were all checking out our cars, he helped us with the huge car lift they had. (Couldn't figure out how to work the jack stands lol) WHen it came to my car he checked my trans fluid and said it seems to have been done within the last 10,000 miles or so and it should have a good amount of time left in it. I told him about the fuel pressure and he went into the shop and brought back his $500 pressure gauge and hooked it right on up. when the key is in the "on" position, it reads 20 PSI and then quickly drops to 0. Correct me If im wrong but Im sure thats low and thats what causing the lousy starting. We called Van Senus and they priced it at $153, advanced autos priced it at $164. But thankfully with some shopping arund, found it at autozone for 45.99. And just to be sure here is the part

Gp Sorensen/Fuel Pressure Regulator (800-122) | 1994 Chevrolet Camaro 6 Cylinders S 3.4L SFI | AutoZone.com

If thats it, I'll be picking one up and installing asap.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok yesterday we finally just put the camaro back together. Here's how the the pressure regulator became a big ordeal

The whole fix should have taken about 10 minutes. The regulator is held on by 6 anti-tamper torx screws. Whilst taking them out, we didn't take the aluminum block that it sits on out. We were going to just take the cap off, put the new diaphragm like part in, and close it up. While taking the bolts off, 3 of them broke. SO we had 3 bolts stuck in the block. So, plan b was this, drill them out, tap and dye, and finally put the new regulator in. But because the last bolt that snapped was so far in the back, my dad took that piece out. Turns out, that's what holds the fuel injectors. I will have pics of them up soon, but 2 of them, oh, my, gosh. My dad and I don't know how the car ran. They were split in 2, rust filling the cavities, and looked like they were ready to explode. So we replaced those 2 injectors, cleaned the old ones up, re-installed everything, and after a little white smoke, the car was finally started after 3 days. The depressing part is, it did not fix the fact that the car doesn't like to start right up, you still have to let the pump prime for a few. It does start better, just not what I exactly hoped. But, short end of the story, if it wasn't for me being picky how my car starts, I would have a lot more problems, come summer when I had the car out all the time. Pics soon.

Project wise, i think what the car is getting next is a new oil pan gasket and tires. And if everything goes to plan, by summer I should be able to start modding the car via intakes. etc.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

recheck the pressure. should be at 41.5 with the vacuum hose to the fpr unhooked.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is it possible that your fuel filter is clogged up?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Hope not changed it last week lol

Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Washed the car today, and got some nicer pics that look more like i own the car. The last shots looked like they were cheap craigslist ad pics lol

Name:  IMG_1265.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1264.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1263.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1259.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  55.3 KB

The last one is a shot of my 'maro and the girlfriends 300m

Exterior wise, I plan on finding a hood and bumper outta a junk yard so i don't have the god awful dent and crack there anymore. ALso, the back bumper's paint seems to have been cheaply repainted, so I will probably attempt to learn how to sand and paint that. Its not the whole thing just the right corner so hopefully it won't be to hard of a job. However before this I really need to make sure I get a little more money in the bank account.

Last edited by tjsmar; 04-07-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Could be the fuel pump going if it's dropping that fast. Sounds kinda to fast for the regulator to have gone bad.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kinda to fast of a drop for the fuel preside regulator to be bad.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, my current idea of the subject is this, the fuel pump is 17 years old and is probably on its way of going. Ive accepted that. But before I change it I am going to work on the other stuff that should not wait. The car does start well now. As long as I let the fuel pump prime for a few seconds its starts up nicely.

Quick Reply: Ok so here is my first project car!