Oil dipstick help.. New here

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How do I know when all of the air is out? And
I shouldn't have to worry about it being something major?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i couldnt completely understand the one post. so are you losing coolant? or was the 2 gal to fill the system up after changing the thermostat?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I lose coolant but not sure where it all goes since it's not leaking

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how much coolant are you losing and how long does it take to lose it? no coolant in oil? i was losing coolant in mine and it was a very small hole in one of the hoses. it would leak very little each time the car went up to operating temp and suck air in when it cooled. i looked for a leak several times before finding it by one of the clamps by pulling on the hose litely. it never did show a puddle after setting. could also be going out the exhaust, are you seeing more white smoke/steam in the exhaust? maybe some liquid comming out the exhaust pipe.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

idk if there is coolant in the oil since the dipstick is not there... and it takes a day to lose the coolant, i have not been driving it since the temp goes to 260 in like 15 minutes. when i bleed the air with the bleeder screw, do it with car running and cold or wait until it warms up? and fill up coolant before bleeding it? thank you for your help

Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

right if the motor is heated up the coolant will expand and overflow. no white smoke from exhaust?

Originally Posted by craby
need to bleed the air out again,,,, and again,,,, and again. park the car on a hill with the front on the up side. let cool and fill the radiator, then open the bleed screws till fluid comes out and close. the high one on the hose will not bleed till the motor is running. refill the radiator and start motor. if the fluid level lowers fill and bleed air outa the high bleeder recheck coolant level and put cap on radiator. need to do this before the motor heats up. ok now take the car for a ride around the block and back, park and let cool and do it all over again. air gets stuck in there and messes the ability of the coolant to cool.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so bleed it with car heated up or not? and i will check on the smoke

Old 11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not heated. i have done it heated but its not as easy and its not a good idea to open the radiator cap when its heated so to refill the radiator you have to let it cool.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so start car and open bleed screw with radiator cap off? then fill up? and do same thing again?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first time do it without the motor running and the engine cool. yes with the radiator cap off. then start motor and do it again with cap off, while running put cap on and bleed air out with cap on. then drive around the block park it and let it cool and do it again. there are three bleed screws. it would be a good idea to do a pressure test on the cooling system. it would help to find leak.

Quick Reply: Oil dipstick help.. New here