Newbie & in over my Head

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 02:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Newbie & in over my Head

Well not new to camaro's but new to 4th gen.

I bought a '95z going to swap the motor into my '90 iroc but it seems that I didn't understand or ask the right questions when I bought the car.

When looking at the car I was told that it had quit running and that they had found that the opti-spark had went out so they put one in only to find that it was bad so after buying a second one and confirming it good before install they put it in and said well it wouldn't start then either so I think no biggie just take it to my macanic and let him scan the darn thing with his very expensive machine and tell me what I need to fix, right? WRONG!

Oh he scans it alright after putting a battery on (didn't have one when I bought it ) and tells me his scan says the car is in THEFT MODE and will not let the starter do it's job to start the car

So where do I go from here? I mean I have to get the car to turn over before I can find out wheather the opti-spark fixed the car's not running problem or not.

I have seen by-pass modules that is suppose to fix this problem but have seen prices from $25 to $250 and am not sure of which one I need. I have also seen where you are suppose to be able to have the ecm reprogrammed so that all the security is taken out which would supposedly fix the problem also but not sure where to get that done either.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure I want to tear the motor out of this car after seeing that the car is in pretty good shape if it were running but even if I were to pull the motor I want to make sure it runs before spending time and money to swap it out soooooo HELP PLEASE .

Old 05-24-2014, 05:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is a simple fix, assuming you have the right key you can ohm the key out and order a resistor to matching and hook that inline. I am not at home so I do not have a link with the step by step but I am sure someone will post it.

You are putting a 95 Lt1 in a Iroc and you have to take the car to get scanned and do not know how to bypass the anti theft system. That is kind of like saying I cannot bench press 100 lbs but I plan on benching that Buick over there. I hope you have help, by the time you are done you will need to understand and modify just about every system in the car. You could not have found a worse computer system to do this with. 95 is a one year off OBD 1.5 system many shops can not even scan no less reprogram. 93 would be closest to plug and play and 96 up can be reprogrammed by just about any tuner.

You should really think about just fixing the 95? Maybe go old school with the Iroc?

Edit
Save this link. If you poke around I am sure you can find what you are looking for
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

Last edited by Gorn; 05-24-2014 at 07:16 AM.