new fun for me and the camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Overdrive Member

if you are talking about welding the exhaust manifold DONT!!! is it cast iron and will not weld properly!! You will break your manifold if you attempt this. Not only that but believe it or not the EGR in these cars do not rob HP and they acutally improve mileage. It is not like the old cars that dumped very hot exhaust into the intake and messed up your burn, newer EGR actually helps cool the combustion chamber to make denser air fuel mix.

Chaotic, a little white "smoke" or steam at cold start up is perfectly normal. It is just the condensation in the pipes evaporating and comming out. The rough idle is more than likely your fuel pressure problem. Check out this page for some good data on your engine: http://engine.firebirdv6.com/

Massey

Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^It's had a rough idle at start up ever since the timing cover gasket blew out and the car got really hot... So it's been doing this for like 3 months now. The fuel pump is a recent issue. And the smoking started after the timing cover gasket blew out as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
^It's had a rough idle at start up ever since the timing cover gasket blew out and the car got really hot... So it's been doing this for like 3 months now. The fuel pump is a recent issue. And the smoking started after the timing cover gasket blew out as well.
i thought you were selling that car but if you need anyhelp just pm me its actually a pretty easy job aslong as you drop the engine a little

also whats the torque specs on the head bolts

Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
i thought you were selling that car but if you need anyhelp just pm me its actually a pretty easy job aslong as you drop the engine a little
Thanks. And I was selling the car but anyone who was interested wanted to make payments or only wanted to pay like $1500 for it. I have $3500 invested so it would have to go for at least $3000. And I'm getting ready to dump another $500-$700 in it. FML

Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

^^ with all that money invested id just keep it till shes dead

whats the best way to clean up the weathered aluminum??????

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well i got 20k into my truck and have had it for 10 yrs in another 8 i figure ill have my moneys worth outa it. or if i were to try and sell now i would think 8 or 10 k would make me happy. i dont think it would sell for that so ill keep it. ive always thought if i pay 100 bucks a month for a auto then its a good deal. so if i paid 1200 bucks and it lasts for a yr i got my money outa it. what aluminum are you working on?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by craby
what aluminum are you working on?
the intake i used my palm sander to clean it up i also took my grinder to the 3.4SFI the dark spot is quick steel it gets real hard and can withstand like 600*F ill sand it off to fill the spots where the grinder went to deep (like bondo) then ill paint it

Name:  0_IMAG0051.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  14.7 KB

well i started putting her back together at about 10:30 got everything done but the wiring, exhaust, torque down the head-bolts and rockers, valve covers, upper intake, and the oil change

Name:  0_IMAG0055.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  15.8 KB

before

Name:  0_IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  12.7 KB

after i went thru with a wire wheel

Name:  0_IMAG0052.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  9.6 KB

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 10-19-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Overdrive Member

I hope you cleaned all the metal fragments out of the bores before putting it all together.

Looks good and clean. Yea I know all about the nasty aluminum look that is why I cleaned and painted my upper manifold.

Massey

Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya i cleaned everything real good dont want that crap in there

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

just a few loose ends now theres a vacuum line that goes to a T on the back of the upper intake manifold one side of the T goes to the booster and the other... idk where the vacuum diagram on the rad support it says "to acsry"... what?!?!?! also i tried to start it today and it will fire bounce up to about 1k rpm then stall does anyone know if the push rods are all the same length by boss told me that sometimes there different and that could be causing my problem but to me it seems like a fuel issue if i give it gas it will stay running but as soon as i let off it stalls and theres 2 coolant temp sensors on the engine one in the lower manifold and one on the driver side head the wire that come out of one of the sensors looks kinda like "l -" and the other is "- -" can someone please tell me which one goes where