New Camaro Owner, many Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Default New Camaro Owner, many Questions

Hello Guys,

I just got my 1998 V6 5-speed Camaro last week. I got the chance to drive and detail it, now I'm ready for a little bit more.

I would like to paint my brake calipers red to match my car plus I really think it will look good with those big SS wheels.

Im guessing I should remove the calipers to paint them. Are there any special tools required to do this?

I need instructions on how to remove the calipers as weel as any general tip that will make the job easier. Painting tip would also be useful.

And, YES, I do have special paint for calipers.
---------------------------------

oAnswers.blockUserEnabled = true;

[/align][/align]

Best fuel grade for 1998 Camaro 3.8 Liter V6?
When I first got my car last week it was running great..then I filled it with 91 octane fuel and it seems to be running slower? I baught the car with a full tank of gas, I am guessing that if I were to fill a car for someone else I would put regular (87 octane) in it?

What Im asking is...Regardless of price, what is the best fuel for my car?? 87, 89, or 91?------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had my 1998 Camaro V6 5-speed for about a week now and I noticed that sometimes when downshifting into second gear if I do not let the clutch out fast while pressing on the gas, it will pop out of gear. In other words if I am accerlerating fast I will have no problem because I am also on the gas but I can not just coast in second gear.

I also noticed that if I continue to pull down on the shifter while I am letting the clutch out, I can feel it trying to pop out but I hold it in gear.

It dosent do this with any other gears and it isnt really a big problem but this car is soo damn close to perfect and I would like it to be 100%.

The obvious answer would be the synchronizers, Is there any other possibilities? what is involved if that is in fact the problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 3.8 liter V6 Camaro has a custom Air-intake system as well as a complete 3" dual exhaust system with a high flow cat. The only problem is that I am still running stock exhaust manifolds. If I were th buy the set of Pacesetter headers, What kind of gains should I expect? what do you think a shop would charge to install the headers because It looks like it would be a pain in the *** to do it on jackstands?

Next question............

When I park the car the Parking-Brake dosent seem to be working very good. Ok, my first thought was to adjust the cable. So, I open my repair manual and it says...."This car is equipped with a self-adjusting cable and requires no maintenance". Now I'm lost and what to do next.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

oAnswers.blockUserEnabled = true;

[/ul][/align][/align][/align]

1998 camaro question (shift ****)?
I want to buy an aftermarket shift **** for my 1998 V6 Camaro. It has a 5-speed trans. what size thread does it have?

Dont just tell me I am a newb cuz I would be the first to admit it but, any good advice will be greatly appriciated.

Thank you
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/DSC03403.jpg

Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: New Camaro Owner, many Questions

Hey, lemme know what you find for the shift **** size, Mine disgrated and I had to make do with a smaller one...it doesn't really fit but I got it to stay for now...

My parking brake does the same thing yours is doing, and sometimes it will get stuck in the upright position, and I have to work and work and work to get the son-of-a-***** to release and go down...usually resulting in my putting most of my body weight on it to go up and then it'll go back down...

Also, I put some 87 Octane in my 94', but it seemed to be running better on 89....

..I guess it's 2 newbs to this form..I bought my 94' Last thursday..lol.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
4th Gear Member

89 in my 98 v6 runs better then 87

Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM

yeah, I did some testing and I decided that 89 octan runs the best. I am going to the hardware store tonight so I will update on the shift **** size.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Overdrive Member

For the brake callipers you'll have to pull them off the rotors, but they shouldn't have to come completely off the car, just be careful and us some news paper so you don't get oversray on your car. I painted mine with Rustolium semi-gloss hi temp paint and it worked just fine, but it did take them a while to dry.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Just becareful when you paint your calipers. Im not sureif there like my 2002 SS but justsome info. Ipainted my calipers Chevy Orange. Theres 4 bolts to the caliper to very top one and the very bottom one will take the entire caliper off. There are two more in the middle. DONT Paint that little rubber boots where the twobolts connect the two pieces together. It cause my calipers to stick. I had to take the calipers off and clean the boots and i went ahead and regreased them two. Those pins allow the caliper to slide back off the rotor. Good luck