Almost an owner of a 96 RS camaro, few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Default Almost an owner of a 96 RS camaro, few questions.

I just looked at a 96 rs camaro A/T with 152k on it, KBB'd around 2700-3500, getting it for 2k plus my old kia which isn't worth anything really.

I have a few questions.

The lights on the rear view mirror wont turn off when I park the car and the key is out of the ignition, unless I lock the doors. is this normal?

Dash top is cracked, found part, but is it an easy fix?

Engine temp seems to move every once in a while, but stays in the normal range (180-200, maybe 215 I can't tell) is this ok? getting coolant hose assembly replaced cause it looks like it's a bit worn.

Where should the oil pressure gauge be at idle or under a light load? I've only owned 4cyl cars up until this one, and I've never had an oil pressure gauge.

Anything these cars are notorious for as far as suspension and engine problems?

I've surfed the forum but couldn't find a few things so I figured I would ask them all.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

light should go off after about a minute. the dash is an easy install, not cheap though. the temp range is 190 to 210. ask if the owner knows if the head or intake gaskets have been changed. seem to be a weak spot on the 3.8 after 100k. have the cooling system flushed and use the green antifreeze. the oil pressure should be near the first mark (about 20lbs) at an idle and operating temp. near the middle mark (about 40lbs) at crusin speed and operating temp. can be lower and be ok. rule of thumb minum is 1lb per 100 rpms. so at 600rpm idle 6 lbs would be the mimum so as to not harm the motor.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Intake gasket is the most common issue. At that mileage you want to make sure the transmission shifts good hot (after 20 minutes).
If you or someone in your family knows a good mechinc it well worth the 1/2 hour of labor to get it checked out. It would be worth it to have a coolant pressure test done. Failing intake or head gaskets would dramaticly reduce the value of the car.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks you guys.

Yeah the dash will be about 125 but that's ok.

Coolant with be changed over to green once I do the hoses (next week if I buy it) they will be ordered from GM once everything is clear.

My temps are good then, I was just worried cause it kinda moves and my kia always had the needle in the same place no matter what (once warmed up of course) This one will be below the middle line, then go up, then the fan kicks on (i'm assuming) and then it goes back down. Only when sitting idle or going super slow, seems to be constant on the highway.

Checked the fluids and there wasn't any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, and drove it home and back 3 times (30 miles each way) didn't have any problems with the tranny. Did a few donuts and burnouts and the rear end seems to be good too.

As for the mechanic part, I'm buying it from my mechanic so I will just ask him to check on the gaskets and such. Coolant pressure test will let me know if there's a problem right?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Yea, the stock shocks suck, and if original at those miles you are overdue for replacement -- replace them with SLP Bilsteins, you will be worlds happier.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pressure test will let you know of any weaknesses in the cooling system. does not mean there wont be issues,,, lol.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM

All sounds good to me, he's gonna test the system when we install the hoses.

I'm gonna look into the whole suspension cause its a bit squeaky, dad had one back in 99 and said his was about the same as far as noise. The front end was lowered and though I like it, I don't want to be a snow shovel in winter lol. Might do new shocks, mounts, and bushings.

The car seems to be well kept under the hood, interior is a little dirty but thats an easy fix. I think I'm gonna go for it and get her running perfect now (oil change, fluid flush, ect) and think about an exhaust and intake. I was going to try to do some headers but they look like a pain in the butt. Should be fun especially with winter on it's way!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear member

I second everything previously said, and yes these cars tend to be a bit squeaky. Less than third gens though.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

If you're saying the car you want to buy is lowered or you're considering it, then you should be considering Koni Single Adjustable shocks -- lowering springs need the proper shocks to control the springs.

Originally Posted by PTl5spd
All sounds good to me, he's gonna test the system when we install the hoses.

I'm gonna look into the whole suspension cause its a bit squeaky, dad had one back in 99 and said his was about the same as far as noise. The front end was lowered and though I like it, I don't want to be a snow shovel in winter lol. Might do new shocks, mounts, and bushings.

The car seems to be well kept under the hood, interior is a little dirty but thats an easy fix. I think I'm gonna go for it and get her running perfect now (oil change, fluid flush, ect) and think about an exhaust and intake. I was going to try to do some headers but they look like a pain in the butt. Should be fun especially with winter on it's way!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM

The car is already lowered in the front, It seems to right correctly the way its set up. I may actually put OEM style springs on it though for clearance in general and to help a bit in winter.

On that note anyone running snow tires on one of these things? What size am I supposed to get? I'm thinking of picking up some spare rims and mounting snow tires on them.

Quick Reply: Almost an owner of a 96 RS camaro, few questions.