Need advice quick on electrical issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need advice quick on electrical issue!!!

Ok guys I just took car to a shop they charged me $55 for the diagnosis.
My car blows fuse everytime I use turn signals. He told me he tested it and that car blows fuse when activating left turn signal, and that also the hazard don't work. He told me I had both front turn signal sockets kinda bad but that ain't no issue. Supposely he ran an electric test on the whole circuit and there is power. He said he guarantees problem is a part inside of the steering column. He doesn't know what piece until he opens it up...

He was charging $120 to open it up and install "the" piece that I also gotta buy aside... Shop owner said I come back with $55 receipt and they'll discount the $55 from there so I'll be paying up the rest.

Do you guys think he gave a correct diagnosis? And I also do no really know what piece I might have to get...Theres 5 camaro's in a local junkyard stripped out but all the the steering column intact at least when I went to go see em. So guys I need to fix this issue asap, cops are hot right now and I do not want to make the local PD dept. any wealthier...So guys where do I go from here?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Gotta isolate things if you want to do it yourself. I'd start with easiest to get to stuff first. Each bulb, did it just start doing this? Switch, any new wiring, or things done that could be causing a short? Pull out lamp housings, look for wiring issues, etc. I'd bet likely a bad bulb or column switch. Good luck, you can track it down if you have the patience.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Raingler
Gotta isolate things if you want to do it yourself. I'd start with easiest to get to stuff first. Each bulb, did it just start doing this? Switch, any new wiring, or things done that could be causing a short? Pull out lamp housings, look for wiring issues, etc. I'd bet likely a bad bulb or column switch. Good luck, you can track it down if you have the patience.

Dude bulbs are new...They've been tested. The sockets are good enough to. The mechanic shop tested everything in the wiring and said no doubt it has to be a bad piece in the steering column.

However there is a switch in the car above the knee panel, which is an O/Off that was drilled there. Car has an alarm I've played with switch before and alarm is activated regardless so I sincerly have no idea if thats something that might have a hand in this issue or just a plain dead switch it is.

Now back to the defective part, the only thing I have in the column is the tilt control, the column switch lever and the hazard switch on the right side... Are they somehow connected cause I really don't know? And anyone ever had an issue like this on any car no matter make that wasn't a short but a part that controlled the switches? It really sucks having to drive in one lane [ast your destination when you have to turn and you got a cop on your 9-6-3 until he detours :/ ... Miami is hot with cops right now, Im truly amazed! Seems they need to bring in money to the city...Oh my bad these filthy commishes!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Name:  P7190002_1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  46.2 KB Name:  P7190003.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  P7190004.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  37.0 KB Name:  P7190005.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  PB070008.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  67.3 KBName:  PB070007-1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  49.2 KB

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ahhhh, the good old days of diagnosing an electrical short....when you could wrap the buss fuse with aluminum foil and watch for where the smoke comes from. I've actually found a short in a tail light housing that way, after getting to the "oh, eff it" point of trying to find it. It was the girlfriends rustbucket pos Datsun anyway. I don't recommend that procedure on today's cars though, with all the electronics and b.s. that could get toasted. Not to mention the car itself, if you're not prepared.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Damn thanks guys and wow hella props to you craby that was very cool. But I just decided to say F-it cause I might as well start a car-b-q if i get outta my zone with wires. It was a total $150 fix long story but the issue with car was a bitten cable under my left speaker cause of a previous amp wiring they ran under car and apparently at taking it out the panel was biting a cable. Finally I can turn in front of a cop without going fml!!! LoL... And btw shop says my hazard piece is broken cause it wont stay clicked :/